Author Topic: Let's look at star stamps on rear sight ladders (RSLs) - pic heavy & long  (Read 26156 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Let's look at star stamps on rear sight ladders (RSLs) - pic heavy & long
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:55 AM »
Hey PS....  Does your russian have all early 52 and older features?

It's long gone, but I posted tons of pics here in this section when I got it. I think it was determined to be a 52-53 by features.

I looked all over my early tula and couldn't find a star.  It is however possible its covered by cosmo, but I'm not cleaning it to find out.  Lol. 

In all seriousness, I can see just about everything minus the nooks and I cant find one. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »
To clarify...  I more then recognize the data showing the star is found on 'non furb' guns 52 and under as RM has provided. My opinion is simply that nobody knows what the 'meaning' of of said star is. Im challenging members of all ranks to find some solid indication without regurgitating whats been posted other places on the net. How many times has this course of action gotten the collecting community in trouble time and time again?

This is a good thread and the data collection and discussion is what makes us sksfiles. Your going to have dif opinions and ideas throughout process before coming to a general consensus on whats most likely. Lets not toss out avenues because they dont fit the narrative.   

LC I'm not regurgitating anything, I wasn't aware this debate was going on in other forums. No, we do not know the star is Tula, but we do not know that it isn't. That is what some of us are saying here and a little honest and open discussion MIGHT eventually determine that...or it will not.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
I didn't say you did danny.    thumb1

Yes..  It may be, it bay not be.  Thats just it.  I more then acknowledge that aswell.   thumb1. In fact, I wasn't refering to anyone in particular.  I was talking in generalities.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Bunker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2015, 03:06:46 AM »
Sorry not the RSL answer but thought I'd add my additional two-cents regarding the "Star" marking.  My earlier post may have not been clear so I'll try to clarify regarding the “Star” marking on Tula produced weapons.  A lot of the terms are thrown around loosely and they end up getting twisted around.  Russian authors also use different terms with different definitions, which further confuses matters, not to mention things can get lost or twisted in translating a lot of these things.

Like mentioned previously the “Star” marking is synonymous with Tula.  Other countries have used a star marking but that’s another story.  The “Star” marking in question here is governed by the OTC, which BTW has a few different definitions.  Some authors will call this marking a Technological hallmark, while other will call it an OTK marking.  Both would be correct if used in the proper context but OTK is a more recognizable term.  Then there is the AC if we look further back in history at Russian firearms/markings.

The Department of Technical Control or Technical Control Services ensures quality control and that weapons are acceptable for service.  The OTK stamp used indicates that the parts were “manufactured” within proper tolerances.  Often OTC and OTK will be used interchangeably (and translation can add to that) but again the context being used is important.  People like to separate the governing body and the stamp used, but often that gets twisted.  The hammer and star are both considered OTK markings or technological markings, and they are stamped on various parts.  OTK markings are completely different than inspection (provisional, definitive) markings and other specific proofs (e.g., Circle K, Circle Y, etc).  Also, different arsenals used different markings during different timeframes and then there are Arsenal marks.  Here are a few examples of the “Star” marking.  If others have information supporting or against, I’d be most interested.  I think in Russia things like this are almost common knowledge but to us they are not. 

TT with multiple OTK stamps on the various parts and I posted a 1895 with various OTK markings as well.

1895 Nagant Cylinder: The markings are as follows going clockwise - starting at 7 o'clock: Serial Number (HM525), Inspection Marking, OTK Marking (Star).

TT Magazines: Different sizes of "Star" OTK markings for different production years.  The pistol also has different sizes depending on production year.  Last pic is TT magazine with Izhevsk OTK marking.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:15:38 AM by Bunker »

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »
PS, I apologize that I didn't see your original post asking for help. Either that or I saw it and got busy with work and forgot to go back and check. Either way I apologize for your getting left hanging.

So I just now took my '52 as-issued out of the safe and gun sock. It does have the RSL#2 and the little star on it, half under the slider. I took the gun down and can find no more of the little stars anywhere. Plenty of other little stamps but no stars, just the big one with the arrow in it on the stock and receiver cover. This gun is all matching and I see no evidence of any refurb process and definitely no marks that would be refurb marks that I am aware of.

Here are some so-so pics of the front and back of my RSL.

It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.