Author Topic: Russian Marking/Stigma Thread  (Read 50742 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Russian Marking/Stigma Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
If yer looking for SKS data, this is the site to come to.  I think you have to get your post count up to a certain number before the data pages open up.

...however, in the meantime I would love to hear your hypothesis.

if it's off topic, though, you might consider starting a new thread.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2017, 11:57:32 PM »
Actually i have a hypothesis i would love to try and prove but i doubt anyone has ever recorded the data to try and do it.

Im listening.    bat1

:))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »
This mark is stamped on the barrel of a 1958 "K"  SKS45. It's an I.O. Palm Bay, FL. Sino-Ruso-Albanian Sneak. All matching, non-refurb in a laminate stock. As issued. I posted regarding this stamp on gunboards, but this dedicated thread is probably a better place for it:

is this similar, at least the E part?

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2017, 02:26:43 AM »
From a Russian forum, some people think the symbol from 2nd GRAU Arsenal (identified by Rusland Chumak) at Kiev is actually from 103th Arsenal at Saransk.

Any opinions? Thank you.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2017, 03:36:50 AM »

[/quote]

is this similar, at least the E part?

[/quote]

Kinda, but not really. Although your observation opens up the consideration that the stamp is an incomplete or light strike-- where the "F" could be and "E". Overall, though, they don't appear to be related.

Is this /\E on  a Soviet Sneak? On the barrel?

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2017, 06:26:43 AM »
Hallmark does not belong to the arsenal of 31 (Ulyanovsk). This arsenal was under the command of the Navy and never repaired small arms. In the arsenal of 31 weapons were stored -- ammunition maritime and marine guns.

Such a poor stamp/photo that we'll likely never know for certain, but I think it's more plausible than the H within a rectangle I originally thought.

From a Russian forum thread on TT-30/33 history, this mark 'presumably is from 31st Arsenal at Ulyanovsk'.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:33:21 PM by running-man »

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
Stigma often found on Soviet weapons of different models - on Mosin Nagant revolvers, SKS Carbine and some other samples of weapons. This sign belongs to an arsenal but authentically is still undefined as of today. BTW...for those interested in this kind of stuff, Ruslan's book will be published this year (2017). He had hoped it would be out already but there was a delay.

i just had a quick look at my sks's,  my original sks with the multiple xxx'd number stock has this on the left side
post image online
so whats that one mean?

No idea. Those diamond stamps were quite common as acceptance stamps around the crossbolts on stocks. Occassionally you find them on other areas on refurbs. Got a photo of it?

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »

Is this /\E on  a Soviet Sneak? On the barrel?

it was on a mosin page, i was trying to identify a mark on mine and it reminded me of that one.
Theres so many marks that dont get struck evenly on a round surface i thought it was worth a mention.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/misc_marks/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:37:56 AM by newchi »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2017, 01:57:58 PM »
Hallmark does not belong to the arsenal of 31 (Ulyanovsk). This arsenal was under the command of the Navy and never repaired small arms. In the arsenal of 31 weapons were stored -- ammunition maritime and marine guns.
Finally found this mark in a clear example on an SKS.  100% Verified both through features and S/N prefix as a 1950 built gun.

Right barrel lug has another mark we've seen before:

All around interesting gun!

As a side note, Russian websites have interesting information, but as Bunker proves with 31 Ulyanovsk being under command of the Navy and not being a small arms repair depot, in the end it's just a bunch of "he said/she said" arguments from a bunch of Russian guys that may or may not contain errors with no easy way for us to verify or even really communicate with them to find their sources (if any).   About the only thing I really trust is the work coming from Ruslan, and as we've seen with the Liski /1\ mark, he can be wrong too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:00:07 AM by running-man »

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
BTW...for those interested in this kind of stuff, Ruslan's book will be published this year (2017). He had hoped it would be out already but there was a delay.

Any word on this book?

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »
BTW...for those interested in this kind of stuff, Ruslan's book will be published this year (2017). He had hoped it would be out already but there was a delay.

Any word on this book?
He is having an issue with the publisher but hopes to have it published before the end of the year.

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
Ruslan just issued this correction to one of the brands. Here is what he wrote publicly:

"Dear colleagues! I want to correct my previous mistake: the brand "1 in the triangle" does not belong to the ABV 1871 (Liski), but 41 to the CAAB (Irkutsk). The error occurred because the investigation of this stigma was carried out by my friend who found the binoculars with this brand and looked at his form in the repair record, considered that it belongs to the first record when there were two such records. And the repair date corresponded to the second record. But I told the first. The information was sent to the publication, and at that moment everything appeared and there was nothing to fix. Accordingly, the question of the belonging of the said emblem is again "frozen". And in the winter of 2014, I had to go to Iruktsk for 109 ars, where I investigated, including the issue of this arsenal (in the past 41 CABA). What was my surprise when the master of the OTK of the workshop on small arms repair told me that their brand is "1 in a triangle", and it is at this same time that they stencil on boxes with passing weapons. Later it was also pinned to others, in a documentary way. In general, this "1 in the triangle" - 41 VABA (109 ars GRAU), Irkutsk."

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2017, 12:38:37 AM »
Ruslan just issued this correction to one of the brands. Here is what he wrote publicly:

"Dear colleagues! I want to correct my previous mistake: the brand "1 in the triangle" does not belong to the ABV 1871 (Liski), but 41 to the CAAB (Irkutsk). The error occurred because the investigation of this stigma was carried out by my friend who found the binoculars with this brand and looked at his form in the repair record, considered that it belongs to the first record when there were two such records. And the repair date corresponded to the second record. But I told the first. The information was sent to the publication, and at that moment everything appeared and there was nothing to fix. Accordingly, the question of the belonging of the said emblem is again "frozen". And in the winter of 2014, I had to go to Iruktsk for 109 ars, where I investigated, including the issue of this arsenal (in the past 41 CABA). What was my surprise when the master of the OTK of the workshop on small arms repair told me that their brand is "1 in a triangle", and it is at this same time that they stencil on boxes with passing weapons. Later it was also pinned to others, in a documentary way. In general, this "1 in the triangle" - 41 VABA (109 ars GRAU), Irkutsk."

Thank you very much for the info! Do you know if there's anyone in Russia doing systematic studies on refurb marks on their military optics (e.g. binoculars)? I found some refurb marks used on SKS were also stamped on them. Thanks a lot!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Thank you very much for the info! Do you know if there's anyone in Russia doing systematic studies on refurb marks on their military optics (e.g. binoculars)? I found some refurb marks used on SKS were also stamped on them. Thanks a lot!

I believe many of the marks that Ruslan has found come from non-firearm items like optics, crates, and the paperwork that is associated with them.  From what I've read, it is quite hard for a typical Russian citizen to get their hands on surplus USSR firearms so naturally they collect and research things they can get their hands on like binoculars.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2017, 10:57:33 PM »
Hers something i found, translated a few bits relevant to us.
Disclaimer: i use each of these words interchangeably
 works/plant/factory
stamp/stigma/hallmark

Also, some of the stamps we dont see on guns i assume were used on other products they made.

oh, and this is somewhat izhevsk centric on the second page, i believe thats where it came from

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:02:10 PM by newchi »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2017, 10:36:28 PM »
I've updated all my posts in this thread (ad any replies that may have sourced said broken images) to point to actual photographs again (thanks photobucket! your#1)

Still on the lookout for various different Russian Markings.  I have a few newish ones in the queue that I need to make tiles for, but nothing earthshattering as of late. 

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2017, 06:40:28 PM »
Just a quick update regarding Ruslan Chumak's book. Recently he published his book about the creation of the Mosin rifle, which is an excellent book for those interested in the Mosin. I highly recommend it.

http://www.atlant-tpg.ru/3-ln_vintovka_mosina_istoriya_sozdaniya%20i_prinyatiya_na_vooruzhenie_russkoj_armii.html

His My next book to be published is on the topic that we are particularly interested in - about stamps and different markings on Russian and Soviet weapons. The publishing house that publishes the books he authors insists that he finish the work on this new book as soon as possible and next year has plans to publish it. Ruslan is now making the latest additions to the text of the manuscript and at the beginning of next year (2018), he plans to hand over the manuscript to the publishing house. So hopefully his book will be available for purchase in the next few months.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Bunker!     Good to hear from you again.   

Yes yes....  Please keep us informed!   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.