Author Topic: More on Arsenal Stamps DB, DP + Single Chinese character + serial number  (Read 68056 times)

Offline jliu123

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Here's one I'm not certain of:

Kind of looks like a "K" with two extra lines.  Maybe the character 长 "Zhǎng"?

I see that Changchun is 长春 in simplified Chinese.  First major state owned Chinese auto works started there in the early 50's with Soviet assistance… Interesting. 

I'm getting more and more convinced that Jliu123 has it right!  thumb1

I'd agree that 长:长春 (Changchun city).

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Okey dokey

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
 cry1

God I am kicking myself for not pursuing that DP I spotted last summer...

All this new info is so cool to decipher the mystery of the Chinese SKS... thumb1

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
At least you get to see them.  The hunt for you is easier haha.
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
So was on the outskirts of my LGS prowling radius and located a DP. It was right at closing so I wont be picking it up till monday. The price was right and its all matching with all its goodies intact so I pulled the trigger on my 1st of the DP/DB's  :)

Its marked DP  25,000,062  ( can't remember the chinese characters off the top of my head)

Import stamp IIRC.....    Made by Norinco 7.62x39  SPORTER
                                     B-WEST     Made in China

Nothing "sporter" about it, just normal config. with bayo lug intact.

As Justin has noticed as well , most of the DB's and DP's I have seen in the wild are of rough quality. This 1 however has late features but seems to be of higher quality. Tagging this as a reminder to post some pics here for any1 keeping track of these. I have a tendancy to get side tracked when it comes to posting pics, so any 1 interested feel free to bug me till I do  rofl
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
The sporter thing was just a nomenclature attempt by some importers at making the SKS easier to import. Obviously those particular guns have nothing to do with the actual Sporter model SKS :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Cool...  We seem to be finding new characters on these guns decently. You may wanna post it up and/or compare the character to the ones we have on file. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!

Its marked DP  25,000,062  ( can't remember the chinese characters off the top of my head)

Import stamp IIRC.....    Made by Norinco 7.62x39  SPORTER
                                     B-WEST     Made in China

Awesome Hippie!  thumb1

Based on what we've collected so far, I'd suspect it's most likely to be a (Changchun):

or if not, it's one that we haven't observed in the 25,000,000 range.  The (Baicheng) have 2,500,000 number, so I don't think it's that one:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:24:25 PM by running-man »

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
They're not actually open on monday but are gonna open up for me to pick it up since they are 50 mins away. I'll snag a pic of the s/n and import stamp 1st thing and post here.

Its deff a 25 mill and it may end in 620 if not 062 like I remember. I do remember the DP was in very large font and very close to the 25 s/n...so not much room for many chinese characters.

This post is great and has got me chomping at the bit to pick it up. Great work fellas  thumb1

There's a DB at 1 of my favorite LGS's and I've wrote down its s/n but if I haven't got the chinese characters... I'll get a pic of it next time I'm there.  His prices on SKS's are reaching insane these days, so it want be coming home with me anytime soon  :o
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
If you can get a rubbing of the serial or maybe even just the Chinese characters on the DB or perhaps a photo, that would be great.  It would be interesting whether it has that ribbed barrel/rough machining too.  I can imagine they might be touchy about serial photos, but if you explain you are trying to contribute to a research project on SKS's perhaps they will allow it....pics of potential cast parts would be purty neat too. It works for me every time...although, I just end up buying them, but when I explain the bigger picture...they seem to be a little nicer about pictures whilst I gawk. :)

Otherwise, since your LGS is being sooooo nice and opening for you on Monday....Pics by Monday evening!  bat1

Congrats on the new addition to the family, it will be nice to see pics of one of the more refined DP's

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
They've been letting me dig behind the counters for years now so pics shouldn't be a problem.  thumb1 They let me write down the s/n of every SKS they had in the store 1 day and are used to hearing the click, clank of me taking them apart and even laugh about it.  rofl . I remember the DB fairly well as many times as I've handled it...cast RSB, cast Gas block and the ribbed/rough machined barrel. I think it even has a cast FSB but I'll have to look again for that.

The LGS that's opening up for me monday has put up with me coming in for 2 years now asking if they have any SKS's or SKS parts. So their all about getting me the 1st 1 they've had on the rack in that time I believe.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
Nice that you seem to have a couple of wingnut gun nerd friendly shops to work with...I often think the rest of the world is like Montana, and generally cool with most gun stuff. When I visit elsewhere, I realize just how touchy things like that can be.

"Oh, would it be cool for me to check out for serial matching on the internals?"
"um...ok"
Then I proceed to launch the op rod across the room.
  rofl

That is how I learnt myself about the quality of DB and DP's....the gas tubes and all connecting parts related seem to be particularly suspect to ill fitting....

I have purchased two SKS's out of the guilt of doing silly things that I definately know better about...I skated a receiver cover across a glass display case...as I don't store unloaded guns, I kinda skipped the closing of the bolt thing before you release the receiver cover.  DOH!

Careful...Careful With That Latch Eugene...

All goofyness aside, if you could get that DB's Chinese characters, perhaps another city arsenal could be added, the more we look at these goofballs...the more information is gleaned. :)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
A lil late for natural light but got a few pics. RM it is the same 4 chinese characters as the other 25 mill pic you have. Hopefully will have time for better pics soon. I have just got in so haven't had a chance for a full break down yet but yall just ask for what pics yall would like to see. Haven't but the bayo on right side up yet ( 50/50 they are allways upside down  ::) )

not cast but the roughest milled piece

Will get a better 1 but for now...

These are a lil rough but I'll replace when I get a chance for better pics. So far everything matches and most all parts are s/n'd, even the extractor.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:29:29 PM by armedhippie »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
That's awesome hippie!

Looks like a Changchun stamp to me.  That is a nice looking gun, the lug is nice and clean.  Not like the 'oh it was a short lug, but let's turn it down with this dull butter knife on this Russian surplus lathe from 1907!'

If you get a chance, please look for any stampings on the underside of the receiver.  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: More on Arsenal Stamps DB, DP + Single Chinese character + serial number
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
I haven't seen this set of characters before. Total mixmaster spotted at my LGS.

Didn't get a shot of the whole rifle. Wasn't planning on posting this unpurchased example until I went looking for the particular characters. Perhaps I missed them but just in case they are unique, I thought I'd post it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
Nice...

We have figure out what city this is!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
Good catch Phos! Now...is it priced to bring home?  rofl

Whats up with the s/n? 22083, Am I missing something or is this out of the ordinary?

Good shot of the bulbous gasblock. Cast for sure. Makes me wonder what sort of process mine went through to have slick, almost enameled look to it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
22 is the year designator.  1977

Looks like a very low output facility.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
Good catch Phos! Now...is it priced to bring home?  rofl

Whats up with the s/n? 22083, Am I missing something or is this out of the ordinary?

Good shot of the bulbous gasblock. Cast for sure. Makes me wonder what sort of process mine went through to have slick, almost enameled look to it.
I wasn't tempted at $300 for a completely mixed parentage Chinese SKS (I don't think I saw even two SNs that matched) but perhaps I should reconsider. How do you all rate these DBs, slightly uncommon, uncommon, scarce, rare? I don't see any that have popped up on RM's lists from this year.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
I can't give ya a definite answer on rareity but they are few and far between in my area...but so are a lot of the different arsenals.  Once you pick 1 up of course you'll get even more interested in them and personal value will go up ( like the case with me and Justin both).

We really are still learning on the DB and DP. Their a lil all around the board. I jumped on mine at a lil higher price but it is all matching and still had a decent amount of cosmo.

After more data is compiled, We'll have a better lock on numbers of these so.... while I may have started to snub my nose at mismatched....A DB would stand a better chance  thumb1  $300 doesn't sound to bad to me, heck, wheel 'em and deal 'em and see what happens  :))