Author Topic: jd's .22  (Read 7663 times)

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
jd's .22
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
Good Lord!!  This section needs a little action.  Soooo here's a new target that I shot yesterday with this money pit I've been working with.  Finally getting things to work.  It's about 90% reloading, and 10% shooting.  It is teaching me some advanced techniques that I've been negligent in learning.  jd

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: jd's .22
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
Talk about wild-cat....  I didnt know the casing was that short!   Sure looks like your dialing it in to me....  wow, what a 100y group!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »
What a crazy looking cartridge. Nice shootin' JD! That's lights out. Is that reformed 308?
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:01:04 AM »
What a crazy looking cartridge. Nice shootin' JD! That's lights out. Is that reformed 308?

Well, kind of.  The case head and body are the same as 308 out to the shoulder, but they use a small primer as opposed to large (308).  I make mine from 6mm BR (another well known round ::)), and all I have to do is full length size it to .22 BR.  Then I have to trim the necks down to proper length.  Then I have to turn the neck thickness down to .010".  THEN, I have to run them through a small base 308  sizing die.  And then, finally I can reload them. 

I think I've finally hit on the right mojo when it comes to seating depth, bullet type and what not.  I've shot lots of groups that measure .2 or .3 inch, EXCEPT for the ratzen fratzen flier that lands a half inch away from the group.  cry1  jd

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
Holy cow jd that's top shelf shooting...bad to the bone group! That rifle is a real looker too  clap1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:36:19 PM »
What for bullets you shooting?  Weight?

Those thinks look so cool, I'm wanting (one round) for me caliber collection.   :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »
What for bullets you shooting?  Weight?

Those thinks look so cool, I'm wanting (one round) for me caliber collection.   :)

That group is with Hornady 40 Gr. V-Max.  I've been trying several different ones though.  Haven't gone very heavy yet, and heavy probably won't be too good anyhow with this 1-14 twist. 

LC, I'll send ya a cartridge for your collection, although the head stamp will say 6mm BR, since that's what I make the brass from.  Will a dummy round work?  jd

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
Heck yeah...  As long as it has a seated billet for display.   8)

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
If you send me your coordinates, I'll just shoot a bullet that direction.   chuckles1

I think I'm'na be able to load 55's with no prob in this thing, and start reaching out.  They call it a one to three hundred bench rest rifle.  Light Varminter Class.  I can't wait to try it out on some light varmints.  I heard Puxatony Phil popped his head up the other day.  He'd better be careful. 

Here's a funny story.  I went to a different garbage transfer station a couple weeks ago and got to talkin guns with the guy there.  Old bastard, even made me feel like a pup - workin for the medical bennies.  Told him I'd been messing with this rifle that he probably never even heard of.  He says "try me".  Told him it was a 22 BR Remington, and he says, "Yeah, I've got one." :o

Had a hell of a talk with him.  He told me he could get me two grand for the thing if I wanted to get out from under it.  Told him now that I'd found an expert to teach me what I need to know, I'd probably keep it for awhile. 

Maybe if I learn everything this rifle can teach me, I'll become one of those freakin know it alls like hangs out over on the TFL Forum.   fart1  jd

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 11:09:02 PM »
Wow!  The phrase tack driver gets a bit over used but...Wow, that's a tack driver!  :o

So I assume you just fill that case up with range trash powder, flick off a few grains, shove a slug in the top and pop off a few  rofl

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 07:54:32 AM »
Wow!  The phrase tack driver gets a bit over used but...Wow, that's a tack driver!  :o

So I assume you just fill that case up with range trash powder, flick off a few grains, shove a slug in the top and pop off a few  rofl

Yeah pretty much.  I'm thinking of using a rest next time.  I may be able to tighten that up a little bit.  jd