Author Topic: Ruger MkII 50th Edition  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Ruger MkII 50th Edition
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:28:32 AM »
I'm usually a S&W or Colt type person, this is only my second Ruger pistol. I found this at the same place as the NDM, a new in the box 16 yr old Ruger MkII, the 50th Anniversery Edition. Near as I can tell it's never been fired or even chambered a round since it left the factory, it still has dried lubricant/rust preventive on the parts. A friend who keeps up with this Ruger stuff said, he remembers about 35,000 or so were made to commemorate their anniversary. Everyone says they look alot like a Luger, I see more Japanese Nambu in the design than Luger. The grip design is close on all three, but the cocking/action of the Ruger vs the Nambu is alot closer than the Luger.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: Ruger MkII 50th Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
Sweet  thumb1 You'll come around and start loving you some Rugers. I've always enjoyed 'em myself. My EDC is a good 'ole trustworthy P89, Goes everywhere I do.

I've always thought the Luger thing myself but now that you mention the Nambu, Yeah, for sure I can see it. I doubt this 1 will see much action but from what I remember, these make for some great shooters. Dependable .22 lr semi's can be few and far between.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »
Well, I also have the Mini-14 and a 10/22 and this... a Single Six with the swappable 22lr/22wmr cylinders and came with a holster, another I haven't played with. :-[ This came from the same sale as the Polytech M-14. If'en I were to purchase another Ruger product, I would lean towards the Blackhawk convertible that will handle 38-40, .40 S&W and 10mm Auto.  :)  A revolver that can eat modern high potency 10mm or one that can backstep into time with a .38-40 cowboy load kind of sounds fun thumb1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »
My mother-in-law swears by Ruger .22s.  She has a couple of the MK IIs, including an anniversary edition that she doesn't shoot, and a couple of the single sixes.  The 10/22 is the only .22 rifle she'll use even though my father-in-law bought a few different ones before he passed.

Offline Bunker

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:43:35 PM »
Nice MK II! I have a MK II Target with bull barrel that I purchased new in 1985 and only took it to the range a few times. The production year is also 1985. I bought the competition grips at the same time.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »
Nice MkIIs GM and Bunker  8)

I'd like to get a MkII and I've looked but haven't bought yet.  I'd like one that's been shot a few times cuz I'd be reticent to pull a pristine 50th anniversary edition out and bounce it around the range or the woods  :o  :))

I've only got a couple of Ruger products, the 10/22 that leaves me underwhelmed.  It's fine for a cheap semi-auto .22lr but I'm not a huge fan. My Ruger American .308 hunting rifle shoots well, was almost as cheap as the 10/22 and is basically a well performing tool.

Offline CuSks

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 12:05:52 AM »
Very nice!!!  I'd really like a Mk1, Mk2 or a Stoeger next year.  We'll see... :)