Author Topic: Navy Arms Type 84  (Read 11963 times)

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Navy Arms Type 84
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
Well Greasemonkey and myself both happened to luck out on finding a sweet deal on a pretty rare gun...the Navy Arms Type 84.

This is the gun that started the AK mag trend on the SKS. I picked mine up today. It was a bit of a challenge getting it...the owner said he'd ship it, but then was giving me a hard time about it and seemed to be frustrated over what was involved. Well when I saw the copy of his license today, I kinda saw why..he's 77 years old. Never the less, I waved the storm and finally got her in my possession.

The stock was a bit more beat up than expected, but that's okay. I'll probably repair and refinish it to the Navy Arms finish so she looks new again.

The receiver is an 8 mil /26\. These guns were made from various parts, and then were "matched" to the receiver's serial.

8 mil would have been a blade bayo. The original V notch has been machined out into a square notch to clear the "para" spike bayo.

Original magwell filled with wood, then the mag plate went over that on the underside of the stock.

8 Mil receiver. You can BARELY make out the N.A. co import stamp next to it

"matched" stock

"matched" trigger assy. Clearly scrubbed first. Milled design.

The AK mag release on this gun is unique to the type 84. It uses an A frame welded and smoothed to the original trigger group, and a modified original style release block. It's kind of a cross between the later AK mag release and an MC-5D release.

"matched" receiver cover

This is the modded bolt carrier with a bolt hold open button. There is a notch machined in the receiver for the spring loaded peg to lock into. Oddly, my peg doesn't seem long enough to catch the notch.

The mags on the 84 are modded to work and fitted to each gun, so they were serialized along with the other parts. The "mods" to the mag are easy to do to a standard AK mag to have more mags.

And there you have it! Navy Arms Type 84 :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Navy Arms Type 84
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »
 banana time banana time  Nice thumb1  Wait, only 498 to go according to xxxsks  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
Nice example PS!  GM, make it 497 left to go!  I have a type 84!  I will post pics tomorrow!
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:37:07 PM »
Nice...  was even built on a 1963 /26\.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »

I thought you'd like that! Too bad it wasn't a 6 mil, eh? How cool would that have been?

John....get yours posted!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:43:34 PM »
Nice example PS!  GM, make it 497 left to go!  I have a type 84!  I will post pics tomorrow!

:o. What tha, here everybody totes it, oh it's so rare, geeze, when it rains, it pours, Type 84s.. rofl2  rofl2

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:46:12 PM »

I thought you'd like that! Too bad it wasn't a 6 mil, eh? How cool would that have been?

I would hate to see a very hard to find 1961 cut up.    :o :o banghead2 cry2

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:49:49 PM »

So a 6million, Type 84 would be worth  :o ................

chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1 Besplode

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »

So a 6million, Type 84 would be worth  :o ................

chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1 Besplode

LMAO!   chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:08:47 PM »
Same as any other bubba commercial type84 I'm afraid.    fart1

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »
Cool rifle!! I was wondering if you could elaborate on the comment, "..... and then were "matched" to the receiver's serial". I've read the term, ''and later matched" a couple times, and was curious about this process, since I have a rifle (a para that coincidentally is also built on a 1963 '26' receiver) that has a mismatched serial number stamped in it's bolt, but then has the matching number (last 4 digits) etched in further to the right. Any chance you could post a pic of the bolt (assuming it's different)?

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »
Cool rifle!! I was wondering if you could elaborate on the comment, "..... and then were "matched" to the receiver's serial". I've read the term, ''and later matched" a couple times, and was curious about this process, since I have a rifle (a para that coincidentally is also built on a 1963 '26' receiver) that has a mismatched serial number stamped in it's bolt, but then has the matching number (last 4 digits) etched in further to the right. Any chance you could post a pic of the bolt (assuming it's different)?

Well, you've basically got three versions of commercial guns.

You have new production, where all the parts are newly made. On those guns, only the receiver, bolt, and carrier are serialed.

Then you have models that are made from older surplus guns. On these (like your para), they use the gun as it came out of the box. So if they pulled a gun out of the crate that was all matching, and no parts needed to be replaced, it stayed all matching after being modified. If there was a bad or damaged part, it would be replaced, and then you'd have a mismatched part.

Lastly, you have models that were literally built from "parts". For example, my Keng's PU sniper model does not have one matching serial anywhere on the gun.

"Force matching" is where a non original part is used, but is the serialed to match the rest of the gun after the fact. In the case of your para, if your bolt is force matched, I would bet that was done back when it was in service. The original bolt most likely had to be replaced, and if it was repaired at an arsenal, then they would reserial another bolt to that gun. There would be no reason to force match a commercial gun, as they didn't care if it had matching parts or not.

In the case of the 84, it was one of the earliest models of commercial SKS, so they probably put the effort into re matching the parts, as that's how the gun was originally made. As time went on and they realized there was no reason to match commercial guns, they stopped putting that extra effort into the build.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »
Nailed it.  Good post PS

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 06:47:09 PM »
Agreed, great repsonse, PowerSurge, that was most informative and helpful. So, one rifle ( a triangle-26 para) has a 'force matched' bolt, since it has an etched-in number that is in sync with the rest of the serial numbers, but, what can you tell me about this Cowboys Companion, that has all matching numbers, but the bolt is basically blank? There are some very tiny, and VERY lightly stamped marks and numbers, in a couple places on the bolt, but not where the serial number would normally be, nor of the same size, and surely not in any kind of pattern whatsoever. It's like someone arbitrarilly tapped in a few random single digits,as lightly as humanly possible (these are definitely not a serial number).
Other than that, the bolt is blank, particularly along the area where a serial number is normally stamped. Is this  normal, or commonly seen?  Maybe this was this just a brand-new part that was slapped in during the commercial/para-izing process, and never serialized? (Again, how normal or common would that be?)
Thanks again......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:54:52 PM by KILLDOZER »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 07:29:08 PM »
Pretty commo, especially on commercial guns. The random letters/numbers are likely inspection stamps. 

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »
If your bolt is blank, then it was most likely changed when the gun was made into a CC. I had thought you said your bolt was etched with your serial, in which case that would have most likely been done by an arsenal back in the day. 

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:54:56 PM »
If your bolt is blank, then it was most likely changed when the gun was made into a CC. I had thought you said your bolt was etched with your serial, in which case that would have most likely been done by an arsenal back in the day.

No, I got a Para a couple weeks ago, a 1963 triangle-26, that came with a choate camo stock, and that's the one with the a new number (last 4 digits) etched in to the right of an old serial number on the bolt.
 Then, a few days ago, I traded into a '76 rectangle-0136 Para that research here showed to be a Cowboys Companion, and that's the one with the blank bolt.
Anyway, it sounds like there's nothing particularly unusual or undesirable going on, so I'm happy.
Thanks again to all for the info, and apologies for the de-rail.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:59:16 PM by KILLDOZER »

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »

No, I got a Para a couple weeks ago, a 1963 triangle-26, that came with a choate camo stock, and that's the one with the a new number (last 4 digits) etched in to the right of an old serial number on the bolt.
 Then, a few days ago, I traded into a '76 rectangle-0136 Para that research here showed to be a Cowboys Companion, and that's the one with the blank bolt.
Anyway, it sounds like there's nothing particularly unusual or undesirable going on, so I'm happy.
Thanks again to all for the info, and apologies for the de-rail.

Oh...two different guns...gotcha :)

Yeah, nothing unusual there :)

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »
Finally got to take the Type 84 to the range. I also picked up some new ammo on the way there from a local guy (see pic below). It's 124 grain FMJ LCB made that the Ulyanovsk plant. A little research turned up that it's the same ammo as the old style Wolf Military Classic, steel cased, lacquer coated.

The 84 took a little sight in, but once there I was really impressed with the groups. Pics of a 5 round and 10 round groups below.

What I wasn't impressed with, is the guns reliability. The magazine just about dropped out every other round. It's not really the guns fault....it's just a poor magazine catch design. Unlike all the other AK mag guns (except the MC-5D) which use a new sheet metal catch, the 84 uses a modified stock magazine block. Both the magazine and the catch, have negative engagement angles. That means the latch angles are in in favor of the magazine coming out, not staying in. The MC-5D has the same exact issue....and also uses a modified stock magazine block with negative catch angles.

Was still a lot of fun to shoot, and actually drew a lot of interest there today.

I also brought the Parka Para and was excited to shoot it, but was let down when I found the single pin front sight very loose and moving all around. I'll need to re-pin that properly before taking it back out :(

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:57:44 PM by Power Surge »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
Pretty good groups there PS.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.