Author Topic: Dumb****s at photobucket  (Read 37705 times)

Offline Luke2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: Dumb****s at photobucket
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »
More and more reports on other forums too today of paying members getting hit.
Canadian...eh!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »
FC, I'd suggest contacting your CC company and seeing if it's not too late to reverse the charge.  You are not receiving the service you paid for.  They will likely reimburse the cost and then possibly take it up themselves with PB.  I suspect you will get nowhere if you try to go direct to PB.  They are getting hammered on all sides, they will hunker down and refuse to cry uncle until their suppliers (the CC companies) put the squeeze on them...

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
Here is their official statement, released yesterday, a full 6 days after the change was implemented....

http://blog.photobucket.com/photobucket-launches-unlimited-3rd-party-hosting-plan/

They were going under before the change, this is a last ditch effort to stay in business.  It's not going to work, they are going under.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
Photobucket has added unlimited hosting to its Plus 500 Subscription plan at a competitive fixed price

$400 a year is competitive with who?!?!     

I just watched a vid on youtube with this same azzmonkey CEO specifically stating that their bread/butter of what makes them so great bla bla hork spit was that for next to nothing or nothing, people can easily share their pics across the interweb. 

So tell me Mr.CEO brain-child liar azz scumbag.....

What good is a photo site if you cannot share a darn thing anywhere (not even email)!?!?!
Where is 'my' email notification??    I didn't get one. 
Why $400 a year which EVERYONE knows is an out-right insane figure to ask?...  Ill tell ya why all right.  ITS A SCAM!!    RansomBucket could have EASILY opted for an affordable option to maintain third party linking (say like $20 a year) and stayed in business... Perhaps took off like a rocket and restored their integrity (worlds worst spam-add site).  This enormous price hike has one purpose.... WHY NOT MAKE IT TO WHERE ALL UPLOADED PICS FROM NOW FORWARD CANNOT BE 3RD LINKED AND LEAVE THE ONES ALREADY LINKED TO ALONE?

#1  Extortion of the folks heavily invested in it and rely on it for business (ebay, etsy, a million of small mom/pop shops) who are actually willing to pay it and not sink until they can figure out something else.
#2  After cashing the ransom check, take their ball and close the door. 

DO NOT PAY RANSOMBUCKET ONE RED DIME.....  ITS A SINKING SHIP WITH A DICATATOR ATTEMPTING A MASS CASH-IN BEFORE HEADING TO FIGI.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:30:49 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
Here is their official statement, released yesterday, a full 6 days after the change was implemented....

http://blog.photobucket.com/photobucket-launches-unlimited-3rd-party-hosting-plan/

They were going under before the change, this is a last ditch effort to stay in business.  It's not going to work, they are going under.

It's funny you mention that. I have been noticing more and more pop up ads and pop up pages while on photobucket in the past few months, and I was thinking to myself, they must be hurting for money.

The really sad part about it, is that it's going to REALLY mess the internet up. Decades worth of forums are going to be riddled with broken image links. Valuable information resource posts that people will search out, will be useless now because all the pics are dead.

What some company really needs to do, is somehow take over photobucket's control if they go under, and keep people's links alive.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
Yeah. No money in it. You'd need a non-profit to even have a chance at making that work.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 09:18:43 PM »
Someone needs to start a forum spicific photo hosting deal for a set $ amount per year..... Where the forum pays for the service to have pics uploaded as attachments, and it uploads to the host account in question.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
Let me ask a dumb question..... what do sites like Photobucket and other image hosting companies expect people to use their sites FOR? Like....what purpose would someone upload images to a photo hosting site, if they COULDN'T post those pictures online? Am I missing something here?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
Your not missing anything.   I guess the only other purpose I think of is if your house burned down.  You can rest in relief that your pics are stored by a extortionist. 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2017, 02:01:18 AM »
I suggest you guys look at imgbb....  You can make all the folders you want, it generates more links then you know what to do with, you can copy all links to all pics within a folder at once and paste, when you copy a link individually it auto adds the img tags when pasting, and there are several levels of public/privacy. 

Actually sign up... Dont to the upload without signing up... That just gives you a one time link for that pic and you don't ever come back to it.  Sign up

They also have a SMF mod for the boards to utilize attachments... Have to look into

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
My main concern is the huge amounts of pictures I've got linked in forums all over the net over the past decade. It's not like I'm going to go back to a decade's worth of forum threads and edit all my picture links to work with a new host. And then, multiply that same issue by the tens of thousands (or even millions) of other photobucket users.

It wouldn't have been TOO bad if photobucket would have done something like $9.99 a month to be able to 3rd party link. That's reasonable to me, feasible for the average Joe to afford, and they would make MILLIONS of dollars with a deal like that.

But to go from free to $400 a year for the same ability? That's insane. They really need to rethink this.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
A few screenshots from imgbb...  I one-click copied all these with img tags already added!  You can creat a folder, upload all the pics for say 1 gun, copy ALL BBcode img links at once.... Paste

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
Here is the page where I grabbed the whole folder worth of codes at once.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »
There needs to be an app to remove photos from PB and recreate them elsewhere...for a small fee.

So far, it seems as if I have not been hit yet...when/if it comes...they can suck it.

I really wonder if they are actually getting this exorbitant sum from anyone? Did they think they would get more $400 clients than would save them by offering something realistic?  I bet their phone support people are thrilled with their jobs right now.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »
Any photo that I upload to a photo hosting site, I also keep a copy of it on my pc.  Therefore, I can delete/remove them from any hosting site and upload a copy of them to another site with no issue.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2017, 05:45:17 PM »
What bugs me is that since I altered most of my photos that happen to be in posts at an unscrupulous other board to say Justin Hell @ SKS-files. com will stop appearing to annoy them.  rofl2

Another thing that gets my goat is that same site also had a really good post from XXXSKS Joe regarding receiver cover scope mounts....lots of photos that will likely disappear forever.  I so wanted to steal that info and post it here, but I cannot remember the title of the post....if someone does, and if Joes photos werent absconded with yet....that would be a really good thing to try preserve.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:58:36 PM by running-man »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
Odd thing is, around the 4th or so, you could still follow the link to the PB main site and still be able to see (and grab) the photo.  Now, all you get is the "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" image, not the original image at all.

Also used to be that you could link the PB image and append an ~original at the end of the .jpg and it would show.  Both seem to have stopped working as of a couple days ago. 

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »
Yep, gone!   :(

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
So I followed some links from Boomer34 (for those that remember him, he used to run the original Russian gunbroker threads at the 'other' boards way back when before he passed away).

Some photos are allowed through:

Some are simply gone:

Odd thing is they are in the same directory?  I'm certain boomer hasn't paid his fee before June 1st since he died in 2014.  Hell if I know.  I guess it is a totally different PB error than the "Pay us $400" photo.