Author Topic: More on Arsenal Stamps DB, DP + Single Chinese character + serial number  (Read 68079 times)

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
This was brought up in a thread on gunboards:

"Coincidentally, D, B, are the leading characters in Pinyin (language writing/reading system used in Mainland China) for Dong (East) Bei (North) which means Northeast or Northeastern in English....
So what about DP? Well P sounds and looks like B in Pinyin system"

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1157601-Can-t-identify-my-SKS&p=10349235#post10349235

That does not sound right (in mainland China).

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter

"Coincidentally, D, B, are the leading characters in Pinyin (language writing/reading system used in Mainland China) for Dong (East) Bei (North) which means Northeast or Northeastern in English....
So what about DP? Well P sounds and looks like B in Pinyin system"

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1157601-Can-t-identify-my-SKS&p=10349235#post10349235

What about in the  three Dongbei provinces themselves? Could it be a regional pronunciation , some affect of northeastern dialect?

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter

Well P sounds and looks like B in Pinyin system"

Perhaps the DP designation is an amalgam of Pinyin and Wade-Giles latinizations.

DongBei = Pinyin
TungPei = Wade-Giles

Goven the fact that all of the cities are located in Dongbei/Tungpei (aka Inner Manchuria) its seems very likley that the  DP/DB designations (regardkess of what they may mean) may be  regionally specific designators.

No?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
I raised the Dōngběi idea a few years ago (middle of page 6). The P I'm still uncertain about but I agree that it's most likely referring to the region, since all of the DBs and DPs city designations fall in Dōngběi.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
I raised the Dōngběi idea a few years ago (middle of page 6). The P I'm still uncertain about but I agree that it's most likely referring to the region, since all of the DBs and DPs city designations fall in Dōngběi.

OK, could it be both Ds stand for Dōngběi?  Could the B and P further separate the cities, like Dōngběi North or Dōngběi South?  Dōngběi Crips or Dōngběi Bloods?  :))

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper

OK, could it be both Ds stand for Dōngběi?  Could the B and P further separate the cities, like Dōngběi North or Dōngběi South?  Dōngběi Crips or Dōngběi Bloods?  :))

Interesting idea, but if you look at where the cities lie on a map, also on page 6, the P and B cities are interspersed, so I don’t think that’s it.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper

Interesting idea, but if you look at where the cities lie on a map, also on page 6, the P and B cities are interspersed, so I don’t think that’s it.

I hoped someone would look at a map for me...thanks!  thumb1
In that case, B/P could be as silly as Sheriff vs. Highway Patrol too....or the Chinese equivalent.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Bringing my map graphic forward from page 6, though it may be a bit out of date.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: More on Arsenal Stamps DB, DP + Single Chinese character + serial number
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
Adding my DP pic on here so it is referenced. Also have a question, weren't there some DK stamped SKSs as well? Vaguely remember that in the discussion somewhere(maybe on Gunboards) and it being Korea. Just what I remembered, not saying it is correct thought.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
I've never heard of a "DK" stamp or a Korean connection...

...but I'd vote for a Dead Kennedys connection if a DK version did surface 8) rofl

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »

...but I'd vote for a Dead Kennedys connection if a DK version did surface 8) rofl

I so love this place.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2020, 10:17:11 PM »

I so love this place.

;)  rockon  :)

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »
/I>k\ rofl

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
/I>k\ rofl

I never knew a Capitol I was greater than a lower case k. Learn something knew every day on these threads. thumb1 chuckles1
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
/I>k\ rofl

I never knew a Capitol I was greater than a lower case k. Learn something knew every day on these threads. thumb1 chuckles1

Well, it is a capital letter.... :)
That was the best I could come up with to try make a Dead Kennedy's logo factory stamp.  I tried a couple other ways...that was closest.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
/I>k\ rofl

Well, it is a capital letter.... :)
That was the best I could come up with to try make a Dead Kennedy's logo factory stamp.  I tried a couple other ways...that was closest.

clap1 clap1 clap1 thumb1

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »
This DP came into the shop some time ago, missing a bolt. My buddy that works there is trying to rebuild it. The Kanji are confusing as the 1st three seem to represent different cities. The last one I’m not so sure about. Any thoughts? I seemed to have lost the full rifle picture....

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:15:07 AM by 100Acre »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »
If you look above at my pic you'll see yours is the same. Last three are the Type 56 Kanji symbols with the first one being Yanji City

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
Thanks . I’m curious about the R in front of the serial number too

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »
Thanks . I’m curious about the R in front of the serial number too

The random prefix or suffix single letters found on Type 56s are still of uncertain origin, though they were definitely done after original manufacture by either the exporter or importer. I tend toward the importer doing it in order to ensure that the serial number was unique within their records, as required by law.

This excludes the 1959-60 "letter gun" production, which are easily picked out by their features (Factory 26, long lug threaded barrel, lightening cuts in bayonet lug and bolt carrier, side swivel) and that the letter precedes 4 to 5 numbers with the same font style.