Author Topic: More on Arsenal Stamps DB, DP + Single Chinese character + serial number  (Read 68067 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: More on Arsenal Stamps DB, DP + Single Chinese character + serial number
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
I'm having a hard time with this one Jon.

Google translate is no help, can't even get close to the Chinese character with which to start my search.  I'm not finding much in the NE quadrant of the country that even looks close.  How much of the stamp above the left side do you think is missing?

Closest I'm finding are Xinzhou 忻州市 or perhaps Tangshan 唐山市 but it's not even close.  I'll need to try again when I have a fresh set of eyes to look.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »
I sent the op a pm.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »
After more data is compiled, We'll have a better lock on numbers of these so.... while I may have started to snub my nose at mismatched....A DB would stand a better chance  thumb1  $300 doesn't sound to bad to me, heck, wheel 'em and deal 'em and see what happens  :))
Thanks for your enabling...I mean opinion AH  :))

I sent the op a pm.
Cool, hopefully jliu will chime in

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
To add a bit more to the mix, here are two unknown DB's I have with similar S/Ns (and maybe city stampings, but honestly, I can't tell, that's why they are in the unknown section in my files!  chuckles1)

#1) 2217X, same importer as P32's find, same gas block at P32's as well:

#2 2844X, I honestly can't tell whether the city code on this one is the same or totally different than P32's find.  Maybe I'll try mixing the missing parts of P32's with the missing parts of this one to see if that brings up a Chinese character that is identifiable:

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
Davidson's seems to have been the importer on a lot of these roughly machined guns...that 0226 project of mine was from Davidson's. It exhibits many of the same DB/DP attributes, I just wish I had more of the original parts to compare. First real project SKS in Projects - Page 1 of 2

Another thing I have been considering, since many of these seem to have fairly consistent lackluster machining, Made with a variety of lower grade components.... Could it be that 0226 made them all, and these city stamps could just be identifiers for police/security forces/militias in these particular locations?  Later Security Forces guns were specifically marked for their purpose, possibly it was just done differently earlier on...and at a far less stringent factory with regard to quality control. 

If this were the case, that further throws the meaning of DB/DP into question. I don't get the use of Roman lettering while at the same time still using Chinese. (usually)  The 'Destination (insert nation here)' thing doesn't sit well with me.  Why would an English abbreviation be stamped before Chinese characters? Lets also consider it very unlikely that anyone in Pakistan would be speaking English, and although English is a secondary language in Bangladesh...since one doesn't make sense at all, it seems likely that the other wouldn't be consistent with that train of thought either.

It seems more likely that it was either another instance of a factory using more than one code for the same location, or two factories using four different codes.  If they were indeed foreign aid guns, why didn't they go there?  Why would so many different factories be utilized for such a purpose?

Let it be known that I am grasping at straws here, and these ideas are pure speculation, lest we end up with more widespread wrong information...I bet Destination Bangladesh and Destination Pakistan was someones wild guess, and the internet just ran with it....and look at us now.  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
I like all the observations and brainstorming....   You guys are the shiznit.  thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
Awesome Hippie!  thumb1

Based on what we've collected so far, I'd suspect it's most likely to be a (Changchun):

You are absolutely right!

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
I haven't seen this set of characters before. Total mixmaster spotted at my LGS.

It's a DB旅: 旅順 (Lushun City)

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »
To add a bit more to the mix, here are two unknown DB's I have with similar S/Ns (and maybe city stampings, but honestly, I can't tell, that's why they are in the unknown section in my files!  chuckles1)

#1) 2217X, same importer as P32's find, same gas block at P32's as well:

#2 2844X, I honestly can't tell whether the city code on this one is the same or totally different than P32's find.  Maybe I'll try mixing the missing parts of P32's with the missing parts of this one to see if that brings up a Chinese character that is identifiable:

The Chinese character on these two is the same: 旅: 旅順 (Lushun City)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »
Think your right...  Good eye

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »
The Chinese character on these two is the same: 旅: 旅順 (Lushun City)

Thanks  thumb1
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:48:23 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 09:16:28 PM »
Think your right...  Good eye

I am certain I am right, lol

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:42 AM »
It could be. I'm having a hard time reconciling P32's stamp to that 2844x gun I posted.  The characters have stark differences, if they are the same they are certainly different stamps.  I'll pull my known Lushun stamps to post tomorrow and we can compare multiple stamps (I'll crop them) side by side by side.  thumb1

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 12:37:28 AM »
It could be. I'm having a hard time reconciling P32's stamp to that 2844x gun I posted.  The characters have stark differences, if they are the same they are certainly different stamps.  I'll pull my known Lushun stamps to post tomorrow and we can compare multiple stamps (I'll crop them) side by side by side.  thumb1

you can trust my Chinese reading. They were made with different stamps, but the characters are the same

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »
Another thing I have been considering, since many of these seem to have fairly consistent lackluster machining, Made with a variety of lower grade components.... Could it be that 0226 made them all, and these city stamps could just be identifiers for police/security forces/militias in these particular locations?  Later Security Forces guns were specifically marked for their purpose, possibly it was just done differently earlier on...and at a far less stringent factory with regard to quality control. 

If this were the case, that further throws the meaning of DB/DP into question. I don't get the use of Roman lettering while at the same time still using Chinese. (usually)  The 'Destination (insert nation here)' thing doesn't sit well with me.  Why would an English abbreviation be stamped before Chinese characters? Lets also consider it very unlikely that anyone in Pakistan would be speaking English, and although English is a secondary language in Bangladesh...since one doesn't make sense at all, it seems likely that the other wouldn't be consistent with that train of thought either.

It seems more likely that it was either another instance of a factory using more than one code for the same location, or two factories using four different codes.  If they were indeed foreign aid guns, why didn't they go there?  Why would so many different factories be utilized for such a purpose?

Let it be known that I am grasping at straws here, and these ideas are pure speculation, lest we end up with more widespread wrong information...I bet Destination Bangladesh and Destination Pakistan was someones wild guess, and the internet just ran with it....and look at us now.  :)

Or  :o ,  well lets just play "what if" :)
Let's grasp, only way out there....
So they had Public Security marked rifles, what else along with military show of force and policing of the general population is important to China or a nation period....the monetary system and natural resources,  maybe it's DB---Department of Banking, I'm sure they had many financial institutions, with state owned funds, gold, U.S. i.o.u.'s and debt bonds chuckles1, other valuables, and DP, Department of Petroleum, oil is pure liquid gold, ask the Arabs. Gold needs protection, as I'm sure their early petroleum industry did. 

See I can grasp too.  rofl2   
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
You need professional help.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
You need professional help.

Whatchu talkin bout Willis?
 crazyp1 senil1

Naw, but after this, I might say your right thumb1
DP...the DipPoop division,  DB....the DingBat division..  rofl2 chuckles1

Gotta throw a curve ball and throw ya'll off once and a while, ya'll get way too serious sometimes, specially that RM guy  rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
That RM guy is a jackwagon!  fart1

Now where was I?

Oh yeah, Lushun stamps!

Here are stamps of guns I have in my 'known' folder:

0131XX:

00460X:

00760X:

01159X:

01499X:

01846X:

02028X:

7210518X:

7210855X:

7211076X: (DB/[0221] gun)

Unknown #1, 2208X, Jon's Gun from above:

Unknown #2, 01265X

Unknown #3, 2844X

Now that I have them all up side by side, I can see all of them being Lushun, with Unknown #2 being possibly the farthest outlier.  Definitely different stamps for some of the unknowns though.

What do you think?

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »
these are all the same Chinese character.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
Yup...

But what I wanna know is...  Why do the actual stamps have a line going through the n or shape in the lower right corner that is not present on the typed version?