Author Topic: Matching two-digit numbers on bolt and bolt carrier, only on early Russian SKS  (Read 2957 times)

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
While I was cleaning my newly acquired transitional 1950 SKS, I saw two matching two-digit numbers on bolt and bolt carrier respectively.

My 1949 has the same feature:

Interestingly, the number (77) is same on my 1950 and 1949.

Similar numbers are also seen jstin2's 1950 with spike bayonet (through 2nd ibb.co link, pic# IMG 6367:
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3653.0

I wonder if it is a unique feature only on 1949 and early 1950 Russian SKS?

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
If my '50 wasn't buried I'd check it. Perhaps soon I will dig it out. I have sh#t everywhere right now.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
If my '50 wasn't buried I'd check it. Perhaps soon I will dig it out. I have sh#t everywhere right now.

Thank you! I don't know if this type of numbers are only on 1949 to early 1950 SKS. I don't see them on my post-1950 Russians.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
None on my late 1950 with the 45 degree gas block.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
None on my late 1950 with the 45 degree gas block.

Thank you! I am curious if these numbers were stamped during initial production or later refurb. And what was the purpose?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
I checked my early 50 with 49 features but with blade bayonet and 45 degree gas port. It also has bolt and carrier stamped with #54. It also has a O on the carrier.

https://ibb.co/album/mCzVrv

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:28:52 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
I'll check my '50 refurb later today or tomorrow. I would think it is OEM because, if a part of refurb process, one would think all would have the numbers on them. Possible pairing stamp designation for OEM build process maybe???
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
pcke2000- you should add more pictures of your carbine. This will show how early the transition was made. On page 5, I have pictures of 1950 transitions. I no longer have several of the carbines, so I cannot check the rest. I think that this is something new and interesting to most of us. I did not even realize this marking when I took the pictures of my 50 with spike.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Just checked my EO '50, sure enough...in the exact locations I have what might be construed as a 1, although it's not extremely legible.  I never would have thought they were matching marks until you pointed this out.

thumb1  8)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Well, I've got markings on my '50 as well, but can't really make them out due to the circle swirls from machining. I do have the (1) stamp on both parts like what is seen in pcke2000s '49 pic
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Hotrod

• Cadet
Just checked my early 50 with 90 degree, has matching 4. Very interesting.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
It slipped my mind, but I have a bolt and carrier from a 50 coming next week...I will have to check that one too.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
Just received my newly purchased 1950 transitional Russian. Both bolt and bolt carrier have '77' stamped. Since I have a 1949 and another early transitional 1950 that also have '77' stamped on bolt and carrier, I believe '77' may have some special meanings at Tula arsenal around 1949-early 1950.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
Just checked my early 50 with 90 degree, has matching 4. Very interesting.

Thank you so much for the info of the 1950 transitional!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Gonna toss this out there - Could the marks have anything to do with keeping a bolt and carrier together during the machining and/or assembly process?

As pcke2000 pointed out, these way well be arsenal specific, but I was thinking that they might be from a single machinist or inspector.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Gonna toss this out there - Could the marks have anything to do with keeping a bolt and carrier together during the machining and/or assembly process?

As pcke2000 pointed out, these way well be arsenal specific, but I was thinking that they might be from a single machinist or inspector.

Yeah, I brought that question up in my first post above as well.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.

Well crap.
I did manage to miss that part of your post.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper

Well crap.
I did manage to miss that part of your post.

No worries, I think everybody did from the lack of discussion on that point. So, glad you brought it back up.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
I actually got a better look at the one I have coming...and I am hoping once the BBQ paint is removed, something will be visible...but, for the time being, I see stamps...but nothing legible.

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Matching #2's on my bolt and carrier of the tula no date refurb.
checked the 53' izzy refurb as well and it does not have the side stamped numbers present.