Author Topic: FSeries Question  (Read 25657 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: FSeries Question
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 11:28:10 PM »
It could just be the leaf itself. I would try the level test on the base itself and then the leaf looking for a change. The block looks to be canted to the right a tiny bit, but Im not so sure its significant enough to cause any real issues not correctable at the fs adjustment.  The crown itself looks fairly good.. no obvious issues that I can see.

I would do try to zero making adjustments at the post (now that you found your tool) and see just how much drift to one side it takes to get it centered left/right and then go from there. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »
Thanks.. here are the shots with the leaf up and out of the way. Does that help at all?  Guess I will try to get back to the range tomorrow or Tuesday since I am off work.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 12:28:49 AM »
Checking level that way could merely mean poor machining and have nothing to do with the base being out of time. The straight edge should show whether everything is at the 12 O'clock position or not. Not saying the level won't work, just that there can be some error in the former. I agree with LC to check the level on base and the leaf to look for change.
Having said all that, the more I look at all your pics the more it looks like the RSB is canted to the right slightly. Heck both front and rear could be off.

Another option for a cure would be to put a Tech sight on it, but if you don't want to mess with removing the cover pin then that would not work for you.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 12:36:32 AM »
Yup.. I was thinking the same thing about the machining.  I used an 18 inche ruler that I placed down in the sight notch and things seemed to line up correctly. At this point I am going to just get it back to the range with my adjustment tool which is now in my bag, and going forward will triple check to make sure it is there before leaving banghead1.
If I can't get it then I have a tech site I can put on it. However I also have a magwedge rail coming in the mail that I could put on and mount a scope. That could be a solution as well couldn't it? Either way I have to remove the pin.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:52:58 AM by agrace »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 12:40:01 AM »
definite solutions there, you can even switch between the two after the pin removal.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »
Put a live round down the barrel from the bore end. Take a pic and post it. I'd like to see what condition the barrel is in. If it's "shot-out", meaning worn out, it will never zero. It is possible, it isn't sight related at all, but worn out barrel related. It is also possible it is crown related. Are the lands still crisp and sharp? Just trying to cover all the bases.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
Put a live round down the barrel from the bore end. Take a pic and post it. I'd like to see what condition the barrel is in. If it's "shot-out", meaning worn out, it will never zero. It is possible, it isn't sight related at all, but worn out barrel related. It is also possible it is crown related. Are the lands still crisp and sharp? Just trying to cover all the bases.

Marcus

+1

All good points.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
here ya are guys.. I tried to get the best shots I could from the crown to see the rifling. My son has a much better camera so I may have him try to get some shots of the bore.  I have also included the target I shot yesterday before I realized I didn't have my front sight tool. The two farthest to the left are aiming dead center of the bullseye with a 6:00 hold both sets at 25 yards.  The other two were me aiming an inch or so to the right.  They seemed to group good. Just too far to the left.  At any rate.. let me know what you think.

thanks
agrace

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
If it were a bore/crown issue.... they would likely be all over the place. The fact that moving your poa DID change the poi indicates it a simple alignment issue. See if drifting the sight works like I was saying earlier.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
Well guys..I am at a dilemma.  I received my MagWedge rail mount today. Now I don't know if I want to install it now, before I get to the range to see if I can get the iron sights adjusted to zero the rifle.  Or just throw the MagWedge on there, add a scope and be done with it and should I remove it in the future at some point, try and sight it in with the iron sights again.

thoughts?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
I don't know about you agrace, but when there's a problem I can't figure out, it eats at me until I do…

If you're that way too, run the problem to ground before you add the scope mount! :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 03:51:09 PM »
I don't know about you agrace, but when there's a problem I can't figure out, it eats at me until I do…

If you're that way too, run the problem to ground before you add the scope mount! :)

+1.....If it were mine I would solve this issue before doing anything else to it. If merely for the reason of not having to remember that it has this issue later on down the road.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
yea :) .. I was leaning the same way. I want to know if I can get it zeroed with irons then go to the MagWedge if things are not lined up as they should be.  Just wanted to get thoughts from you guys as well.

agrace

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
Agrace I echo the sentiments of the others. Hammer the issue til you resolve it!

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
Well guys, I got a chance to go back to the range today to try and see what I could do. I had to push the front sight post to the left to the point I could not adjust elevation. The more I look at this rifle the more I am convinced that the rear sight base is canted to the right. At this point I am going to try my tech sights or my magwedge rail and see if the group will tighten up. I am using a Williams peep sight on the rear sight base and a tech sight target front sight post. Below are my targets for today.

100 yards

75 Yards

50 yards

Front sight post

this is where I can see the rear sight base looking canted to the right. the bolt carrier is straight up and down. Sorry it is a bit blurry.

thanks for looking
agrace

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:09 PM »
Get a rubber mallet and give it a whack or two.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »
Will do. I will see if I can get it to move any 

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »
welp.. I smacked it several good times.. nothing budged.  I may just have to put this one back for a bit and send it off to Murray and see if he can do anything with it.  Or try the tech site or the Magwedge to see if it will shoot well enough to warrant that.

thoughts?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
Im still having trouble wrapping my head around this as a rsb cant to the right post drifted far left should be giving you a a far right poi.  It looks to now be shooting pretty darn straight even though the post is drifted that far left.  I may have a rifle or two with a good size drift in the front post also. 

Its ultimately up to you

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 11:43:16 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Sorry for all the questions. I think I will just continue to shoot it get more used to it. Part of the issue as well is me expecting tight groups at 100 yards with this set up and 45 year old eyes :)