Author Topic: SKS Cleaning Kit Use  (Read 490 times)

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • If it's 2020, why are so many afflicted by myopia?
SKS Cleaning Kit Use
« on: May 26, 2020, 08:47:08 PM »
    Having read a post about someone having difficulties cleaning the bore with the SKS cleaning rod being too short, it piqued my curiosity.  I had seen the Russian SKS posters on the forum earlier depicting how to correctly assemble the cleaning gear, I thought I'd give it a try.  Pictures below.

1.  I found that you had to assemble the case/detent pin AND the cap onto the cleaning rod BEFORE putting on either the brush or the patch jag.
2.  After inserting the cleaning tool into the bore, you lock the cap over the back of the sight/cleaning rod holder.
3.  The cleaning tool JUST comes to the end of the rifling, as seen by the end of the patch.  The patch stays on the jag and can be constantly used.
4.  Running the cleaning rod back and forth with the desired cleaning tool attached, the rod is held captive in the bore by the cap until the cap is unlocked to either use a different tool or finish.

Having seen the directions on the poster, I found that it wasn't too complicated for even this old Jarhead, though without the pix, it might have been a tad difficult.  No crayons chuckles1.  This method has the plus of ensuring the crown isn't damaged.  The down side is that the cleaning rod IS too short to be used the way MOST of us were taught in the Military, that is to clean from the chamber end so as to not touch the crown.  Weapons like the Garand, M1 Carbine or M14 have to be cleaned from the muzzle end and some newer military rod kits come with a plastic rod guide to protect the crown, but they are a pain to use since they aren't captive.
    I did find out that the standard USGI .30 cleaning rod has a VERY close thread pitch to the SKS cleaning rod and that you can use it as an extension.  I hope this has been informative.
    If this subject has been covered before, please excuse me since I didn't find it.  Cheers, Bruce.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: SKS Cleaning Kit Use
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:42:49 PM »
Nicely done Bruce  8) thumb1  I've never actually used an SKS cleaning kit  :)) but those are some handy tips on its use.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »
Yeah,that'a how I've always used mine.Thought eveyone knew.

When cleaning the M14/M1A we always used a 12ga shotgun hull for a bore guide at the muzzle when shoved over it after punching out the primer first.Works perfect and much less expensive than those fancy brass bore guides.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 09:38:33 PM »
i used it once to see how it worked.  I think it solves the "how do we make sure these dip****s dont wreck the crown" problem, and it goes as far as it needs to, even though it seems short compared to what we are used to with commercial kits.

Online Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Marksman
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 12:36:20 PM »
Yeah,that'a how I've always used mine.Thought eveyone knew.

When cleaning the M14/M1A we always used a 12ga shotgun hull for a bore guide at the muzzle when shoved over it after punching out the primer first.Works perfect and much less expensive than those fancy brass bore guides.

Honestly, I think most owners don't know how it works.
I've seen posts on several boards with people complaining that the rod is too short. Someone will usually chime in and tell them that it's a two man operation - you need two rods screwed together.... Not entirely sure how to screw two rods together since there's no way to do it.

I do appreciate the effort it took to put this tutorial together and post it up.

Maybe a sticky is in order? What does the boss mod think?
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »
Yeah, I need to devote a good chunk of time to my to-do list for the board.  Been spending most of my time outside on honey-dos! 

Online Larry D.

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
Yeah, I need to devote a good chunk of time to my to-do list for the board.  Been spending most of my time outside on honey-dos!

Outside honey-do's are way better than inside honey-do's. The worst possible honey-do is getting voluntold to do them for in-laws.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ

Online carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »
appreciate the time to show this, thanks Bruce.  thumb1 remember seeing  a vid on u/tube showing this also, but forgot all about it. happens with getting old.  pullhair1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Bubbazinetti

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:18:23 PM »
Another thing that contributes to the confusion of how the cleaning kit is deployed is how many AK kits are sold or represented as being for a SKS when in fact they're not the same.I see it a lot.

Offline echo83

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 07:57:22 PM »
Thanks for putting this together! I just got a 5 piece AK 47 kit delivered today from What A Country and the visuals here are super helpful. Mine has a punch, scraping tool, slave pin, brush and jag.

It's really well designed...but for an AK. (Not quite a perfect match for the SKS, but serviceable. )

Unfortunately, my cleaning rod won't screw into it, I think the threads are shot.

Does anyone know if the cleaning rods from Liberty Tree Collectors will work with my kit? Here's a link to the rod:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3323
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:14:23 PM by echo83 »

Offline Bubbazinetti

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 11:00:31 PM »
I have no idea other than yes,they are the right length for a standard SKS 20" rifle.But here's the thing that I've found.Between my Type 56 Sporter carbine and my Type 56 rifle the rod tips WILL NOT interchange because the two kits although appearing the same have slightly different threads for the jag and bore brush.The rifle has M4-.8 or 8-32 threads and the carbine has slightly finer threads @ M4-.70 so the accessories will only work with their respective cleaning kits.That is what I have discovered.

You may be better off checking the threads on your rod,jag and brush to see if they're compatible.I'm sure you could likely chase the threads on your rod with the appropriate thread die to clean it up new again if you have access to such tools.It probably wouldn't take much.

I don't know if AK kits are different like that but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were especially if they are Chinese.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:15:58 PM by Bubbazinetti »

Online Larry D.

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 03:21:09 AM »
Tickbite has some pretty nice rods for Yugos.

There must be some difference for them to specify it.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ

Online ffjoey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
Nice little tutorial.

Offline echo83

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
I have no idea other than yes,they are the right length for a standard SKS 20" rifle.But here's the thing that I've found.Between my Type 56 Sporter carbine and my Type 56 rifle the rod tips WILL NOT interchange because the two kits although appearing the same have slightly different threads for the jag and bore brush.The rifle has M4-.75 threads and the carbine has slightly finer threads @ M4-.70 so the accessories will only work with their respective cleaning kits.That is what I have discovered.

You may be better off checking the threads on your rod,jag and brush to see if they're compatible.I'm sure you could likely chase the threads on your rod with the appropriate thread die to clean it up new again if you have access to such tools.It probably wouldn't take much.

I don't know if AK kits are different like that but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were especially if they are Chinese.

Thanks for the info. I just got a cleaning rod from Sarco today. The threads fit my cleaning kit perfectly, which is a relief, but the rod is a little shorter than my SKS rod.

Also, I had to shave off a little off the knob to get it to fit right in in the lug that holds the cleaning rod in. Sigh.

Oh well. I use an Amazon rifle kit for cleaning anyway, and a bore snake, too. Right now, I have a Chinese metal two-compartment oiler and a bore snake in my Chinese chest rig. The AK cleaning kit/egg and the too-short rod will work in a pinch.

I think I'm done with chasing around oilers and cleaning kits for now...time to track down the impossible to find blade bayonet and leave well enough alone!

Offline echo83

• Cadet
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 10:39:49 PM »
After a few days, my OCD set in...while the rod fits the threads on all the tools in my cleaning kit, I decided that it fits only because the rod is for an AK, and so is the cleaning kit.

I called Sarco yesterday, and let them know that I'm pretty sure they sent me an AK rod, since it's a good 2 inches shorter than my SKS rod. They said they'd send me an SKS rod free of charge, which is really cool of them. Hopefully they follow through.

I'm beginning to see why the insurgents just knotted a shoelace and dipped it in motor oil.

In a perfect world, the replacement rod they send will fit my cleaning attachments. The lengths I'm going to just to put together a rod and cleaning kit that I'll probably never use are a little embarrassing.

Now I just need to track down an empty egg to keep all the tool parts in, because they're all in great shape.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 11:58:54 PM »
If it is a rifle you need a standard 17" SKS rod.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »
I am not positive on this, but the likely reason that folks are having a hard time with their cleaning rods fitting AK kits, is due to the AK continuing production, and they likely moved onto a modern threading system, that the SKS didn't live long enough to see.

SKS cleaning rods are threaded using the Whitworth system.  The more modern AK kits are likely for AKMs which I am guessing moved onto a more modern type some time ago.  The Chinese likely carried on the tradition and overproduced kits and rods while they carried on with SKS production far longer than anyone else. Enough that you can still find them pretty easily.  Being a disposable component, they likely, at least for awhile made more kits than guns. Rods, maybe to a lesser degree...but loss must have been considered for a 'loose' part. 

I am just speculating here though...the closest thing I have to an AK is a SKS Sporter, which oddly has a cleaning rod, but no kit.  pullhair1

Offline Bubbazinetti

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 07:41:07 PM »
What do you mean? My Type 56 thumbhole Sporter came with a cleaning kit and decarboning tool taped together in the box.The rod end and tips don't match up to my older Navy commercial though.The rod is about 13-1/8" o.a.l.,threads are confirmed M4-.7 for my Sporter rod.My rifle has 8-32 threads and definitely not Whitworth(too large) from my measurements and references.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:20:14 PM by Bubbazinetti »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 12:11:59 PM »
What do you mean? My Type 56 thumbhole Sporter came with a cleaning kit and decarboning tool taped together in the box.The rod end and tips don't match up to my older Navy commercial though.The rod is about 13-1/8" o.a.l.,threads are confirmed M4-.7 for my Sporter rod.My rifle has 8-32 threads and definitely not Whitworth(too large) from my measurements and references.

Ha! I was unaware that Sporters actually came with kits....I didn't get mine new. I also have never attempted to use the rod for it.  Actually, when I last looked into the threading...I was working on my Sporter.  What I was contemplating doing was modding a bubba stock to have a retaining nut for the rod similar to a Mosin.  This was to retain a Choate muzzle brake using a rod instead of the ugly nut and bolt that used the cleaning rod hole in the FSB.  I discovered somewhere, that the nut I was seeking required Whitworth threads....which you just don't find at your local Ace.    Reading through this thread dusted off that little factoid I had been holding onto.  Ultimately I took a crummy NC Star rod, and rethreaded it for a common nut.

This is when I learned how crappy NC Star rods are.  When tightening down the nut...it simply pulled the pressed on, not milled head right off of the dang rod.   That is when this idea died on the vine, I wasn't going to bugger up a real cleaning rod.

This makes me want to check all my rods and their respective kits, many obtained to complete SKSs whose previous owners 'lost' them.  Lord knows what kind of threading mismatches I have going on.  It also reminds me I am three rods short, two NC Stars that are 'just for looks' and one for a bubba whose rod was spirited away for a build I did later.  I like to keep my bubba's original stuff on hand for the ability to return to normal.  What sucks is my preferred source for them is Canadian...and the other day I watched as all of his stuff was pulled off eBay, item by item.  The only other place I know that has them I kinda don't like dealing with.  banghead1

All this said, I betcha the SKS I have inbound from Classic is one of the few that won't have one.  nailbite1
At least I have a tobacco can full of Albanian/Chinese kits from the 2012 imports....that are in perfect condition to go back into these new imports.

Online Larry D.

• Marksman
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 03:44:35 PM »
Is this the Whitworth stuff we're talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Whitworth-British-Standard-BERGEN-AT045/dp/B01MQ2M3C9

It's not a ton of money.

I'm thinking that an adapter could be made for the purists among us.

I don't use the SKS kits as I have LOTS of other options available, but a Whitworth/SAE/Metric/Whatever to whichever thread adapter might be a hobby project.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ