Author Topic: Are Chinese wood stocks worth anything ?  (Read 108 times)

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Are Chinese wood stocks worth anything ?
« on: March 24, 2020, 08:16:19 PM »
 Hey guys, long time no see ( I think I say that everytime I come around again!  :) ).
I've got a couple SKS stocks sitting around, and was wondering if they have any cash or trade value. I did a quick Google, and saw some fairly high prices, but those could just be greedy or overly-optimistic sellers. (I started looking at gas tubes and handguards, what I'm actually most interested in, and they've gotten kinda steep,too).
Anyway, both stocks are in well-used surplus condition. One is a real beater, but the other is pretty solid, with buttplate, sling swivel, and trigger housing spring, so it's ready to mount up, as is.
Just wondering if there's any market on these things, and if so, what's a realistic trade value? I figure with all the tragically Crapco'd rifles I've seen where the perpetrator mysteriously lost the original stock, there's got to be some interest, somewhere.
Thanks again.......

(edit: in the interest of saving time should anyone be interested, I can get pics, but I'll need to recruit my brother, as I don't own a smart phone. Also, I'm a veteran wheeler-dealer on the AK Files and the Georgia Outdoors Trader, and have dozens of completed deals, many involving shipping, with 100% flawless feedback on both, and can easily establish my bona fides there.
A spare gas tube would be nice, but my trade interests are mostly in a couple gas tube handguards, a traditional wood one, and/or something more modern like black polymer or metal cheese grater.  )
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:46:24 PM by KILLDOZER »

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Death from above
Re: Are Chinese wood stocks worth anything ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:38:56 PM »
Hi K,

I got that stuff for trade fodder. PM me and we'll work out the details. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Oops

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:00:07 PM »
I could use a solid stock. Needn't be pretty.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:27:08 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll check shortly which lug configuration it'll fit (something I obviously should've done already! )

Online yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 11:57:48 AM »
I will throw my hat in the ring, when the dust settles with the other guys, I could really use a Chinese stock for a short lug barrel.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »
OK, this is starting to get complicated, LOL!
 Here's the scoop, one of my brothers, the flea-market/thrift-store commando, gave me 3 SKS stocks he came across last year, 2 wood ones, and a Hogue rubber stock, that I'd hoped to put into use ( that's what I was after a black polymer or cheese grater for).
I also have been holding on to a very nice wooden stock, that I assumed would fit this 1963, long-collar, triangle-26 paratrooper I have, but i just found out, it doesn't !
Also, that Hogue rubber stock doesn't fit an SKS at all, and I'm thinking it may be for something like a Ruger 10/22, so I can't use that.
 What all that ^ means is that I have no need for any gas tube handguards, at all !
(with the possible exception of a cheese grater, and/or spare firing pin, but I'm wondering if shipping one of these will make this trade not worth the trouble).
But, I do have 2 solid SKS stocks to wheel-n-deal with, one very nice, and one in typical used-surplus condition (the other one I mentioned in the OP has no hardware, and is missing a large chip of wood from the lower butt, so it's unusable junk, I believe).
The nicer stock has a side-mount sling swivel, and does not fit my threaded, long-collar rifle. The dirtier stock has a bottom mount swivel, and does fit my rifle.
Both have serial numbers on the side of the butt.
In the interest of full disclosure, the only flaw with either stock is a small crack towards the upper front of the dirty stock, but it's still firmly held, and not in a high stress spot, and if desired, is an easy repair with some wood glue.
I just had some pics taken, including the crack, and the cross bars, hopefully I can get them to load up.

EDIT: I was having headaches trying to post pics here, so I just posted a fresh ad on my favorite statewide classified site, which i was going to do anyway, because my feedback establishes that I'm safe to deal with (and it's quick and easy to post pics there!). Check it out.......(I hope it's ok to post the link here ?)
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-chinese-sks-stocks.2169149/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:39:19 PM by KILLDOZER »

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
I've got a poly stock and hg that would fit an arsenal /26\. PM on it's way. PAX

PS,
Mark, just saw your P38 avatar on the sale post. You a propeller junkie?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:18:30 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 01:51:30 PM »
Hey Dozer.
I've seen some of your posts on the AKFiles.
You have a pretty good reputation over there.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
Hey Dozer.
I've seen some of your posts on the AKFiles.
You have a pretty good reputation over there.
Thanks man, I try,  but I've pissed off a few folks, as well  dance2. I used to post and trade over there a good bit, but not so much these days.

PS,
Mark, just saw your P38 avatar on the sale post. You a propeller junkie?
Yeah, I was a WWII history and movie buff as a kid, especially the aviation stuff (though 2 days ago, I watched 3 WWII submarine flicks in a row, on Turner Classic Movies!) BTW, I just realized we use the same sig-line, I've used that excellent John Adams quote for years, on more than one forum.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:23:54 PM by KILLDOZER »

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »
UPDATE: something flickered in my foggy old memory, so i dredged up an old thread  here, where I was having issues getting a stock to fit. It was the nicer of these two I have for sale/trade, and it wouldn't fit a short-collar arsenal 26 I had, or the pinned collar I also tried it on. Because of that, I'd just assumed it was made for a long collar, but I found out this morning, that it couldn't get passed that damn crossbolt/recoil lug on my long-collar arsenal 26, either !!! In that older thread, one of the forum gurus suggested the stock may have been unmounted for so long, it had shrunk, but whatever it is, I'm afraid the damn thing might not fit ANYthing ! (any comments or theories here are welcome, cuz I'm stumped).
The only one I'm confident in is the less pretty of the two, that one I know for sure will fit a long-collar rifle. I'd be ok letting that one go, but I'd be reluctant to take a chance and ship the other, since I can't guarantee it'll fit anything.
Seems like I shoulda had all my ducks in a row before starting a thread and yanking everyone's chain !
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:43:10 PM by KILLDOZER »