Author Topic: Letter Gun 1958  (Read 173 times)

Offline sagesbrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Letter Gun 1958
« on: October 11, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
I picked this up for $380.00. All stamped matching gas tube is EP. No serial number on stock and the metal blue is a dull parkarized type. Bolt has a dull look.  From looking at your references it is probably a rework. It appears to have never been fired since rework and the internals show no use. I broke the entire gun down and could find no import mark of any type. Must have missed the stamp. It has a Chinese sling. When I broke it down it first looked like the internals were coated in rust, but it turned out to be a very hard/dry rust red Cosmoline.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:10:39 PM by sagesbrush »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Letter Gun 1958
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
You're in the US right?  Very odd that you can't find the import mark.  Also *very* unusual to see a Russian gun w/o any kind of S/N on the stock; that is a very unusual feature on a gun imported from Russian storage.  Based on these observations, my first thought is that it may be something brought over the border from Canada or perhaps some kind of military bringback.  dntknw1  Who's to say though? 

Adding to the mystery, the УИ prefix is one I've never seen before.  Neat gun!  thumb1

P.S.  You stole it at that price!  dance2

Offline sagesbrush

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
Yes, I'm in the U.S.

I went over the entire thing with a hand lens. Still no import mark to be found.

Online Boris Badinov

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 06:03:10 PM »
You're in the US right?  Very odd that you can't find the import mark.  Also *very* unusual to see a Russian gun w/o any kind of S/N on the stock; that is a very unusual feature on a gun imported from Russian storage.  Based on these observations, my first thought is that it may be something brought over the border from Canada or perhaps some kind of military bringback.  dntknw1  Who's to say though? 

Adding to the mystery, the УИ prefix is one I've never seen before.  Neat gun!  thumb1

P.S.  You stole it at that price!  dance2

The missing serial on the stock is common to the IC guns. But nothing else on this rifle says IC.

I'm curious about the matte grey carrier. Is that common on late guns?

To the op: You got a great deal. On a very bad day...still easily worth twice what you paid.

Nice catch!

Offline sagesbrush

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »
What's an IC gun?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »
Israeli Capture. These guns were imported into the states in the very early 80's. They sport CAI import stamps though. The ICs sent to Canada at this time didn't get import stamped, and this one may be one of those that hopped the border. 

Online Boris Badinov

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
Is the magazine pinned to limit capacity to 5 rounds?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »
Possibly not relevant to this particukar gun, but certainly relevant to the overall discussion: From what I've read, bill C17 limiting magazine capacity in automatic and semi auto firearms phased into law in Canada between '92 & '94.
Since the IC guns were imported well before this, this is why we never see one with the 5 round Canada pin in place.  thumb1

Hey sagebrush, what's the finish of the stock look like?  Tons of varnish slathered on over existing the original finish (shellac) especially on the inside surfaces?  That would be indicative of an IC.

Offline sagesbrush

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
Is the magazine pinned to limit capacity to 5 rounds?

No. Normal ten round magazine.

Offline sagesbrush

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »

Hey sagebrush, what's the finish of the stock look like?  Tons of varnish slathered on over existing the original finish (shellac) especially on the inside surfaces?  That would be indicative of an IC.

No, just your normal looking Russian laminated stock. Looks just like the laminated stocks I have on a couple of others Russians that are import marked.