Author Topic: Current SKSS value??  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Alvincyork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Current SKSS value??
« on: October 22, 2020, 08:46:30 PM »
I traded into what was described to me as a paratrooper.  When I took a closer look, its actually an SKSS.  It is not in immaculate condition by any means.  No rust, but the metal could use re-blueing and the stock could use a refinish.  Matching numbers on the bolt carrier, stock and receiver.  Any idea on a current value?  Thanks.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Current SKSS value??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 10:36:14 PM »
A quick search of completed sales on Gunbroker shows four true "paratroopers" that sold from $675-785  :o That's crazy to me but obviously not to others. If I'm going to fork out $800 for a carbine in 7.62x39mm with a 420mm barrel, I want it to be an AK  ;)

An SKSS would probably sell in the same price range. A collector of commercial SKS variants might be more interested in the SKSS version with it's short gas system than a standard "para" and may or may not pay the high end of that range or more...but I really don't know, because I wouldn't  :))

P.S. the bayonet is upside down, remove the bayonet screw and and rotate the bayonet 180 then reinsert the hilt into the handle.

Offline Alvincyork

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:17:25 PM »
Dang.  It is upside down.  I didn't even notice.  Thanks!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 12:56:49 AM »
I have a bit of a fondness for SKSSs.
I haven't even held one, but I find them intriguing simply because it was yet another Chinese revamp on the SKS design, and it actually seemed like they were trying to redesign it to be paratrooper length with some science behind it vs. just chopping the barrel and repositioning existing parts. 

The sad part is these don't have the AK mag compatibility that was introduced with the short gas system until shortly after the SKSS with the Sporters.  It would have been neat to see what might have become of the SKS design for export had the 94 AWB not screwed us out of both Chinese SKSs in general...but defrocked the poor things already in country of their bayonets.

In a different dimension, there is a planet earth riddled with short gas system short SKSs out there...and the long barreled ones would bring the premium. :)

Just being a shorty will get a premium price I would suspect, but chances are slim the buyer would know just how special these are in the scheme of things.
That makes me grumpy.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 02:57:57 AM »
I agree with what the other members have said about your SKS-S. It's a unique design and has it's place among Commercial collectors. But there's the rub. For the collector, it needs to be in top condition to get top prices, usually. (Always usually, with SKS's. Someone that decides they want one can pay over market value. It happens. But that's not a given.) Your best selling point will be the Para length, with the obscure collector pitch secondary.

I checked the SKS-S that I own. The receiver, stock, bolt, and bolt carrier are the only serial numbered parts on the SKS-S. The magazine, FCG, and reciever cover are non-numbered, blank. Looking at my trigger group, it appears they used scrubbed parts, albeit nice polish work done in refinishing. I see no electro-penciled SN's on the RSL, gas tube, gas piston, or any other part.

I'm curious, did yours come with the pointed bayonet? The bayonets were cut down from standard bayos. But they were cut differently on the SKS-S, at least for several of the 92-XXXXX imported rifles that I have record of.

Mine:

Thanks for posting it up!

firstchoice

Offline Alvincyork

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 04:23:22 AM »
Yes.  I have the same serial numbered parts.  I also have the same blanks and no electro penciling.  And finally, yes, I have the same pointed bayonet.  I also agree on the condition.   I plan on a complete restoration.