Author Topic: I THINK I SINNED...MAYBE NOT  (Read 2996 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
I THINK I SINNED...MAYBE NOT
« on: February 18, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
Hi Guys

I'm going in 5 directions at once  8). I just finished taking the K-Sport Hunter I got from Alfred, out of the matching wood and HG (French Tickler & gas tube). It's my understanding that they're kinds scarce in wood and I didn't want any "user" damage to occur, but I want it online. I put it in a Choate Monty with matching unvented HG. It's the first time I've used that set up. The Choate profile is lower, and it wasn't necessary to notch it for the rail. I also added a "Hunter" branded sling, the Choate has conventional sling swivels, and since they originally came in Butler Creek poly, I'm not too off the mark.

A barreled receiver that I picked up made Kali bail Friday too, and got re-assembled as well. It's a pinned action, and I located a really ratty stock set that fit it. I had everything but a bolt to build a mismatched Frankenstein in Drag, but I ended up finding numbers matching mechanicals, so I put the hacksaw & Dremal down  :) and built it to military spiker configuration. Looks good if ratty.

Stay safe with the sever weather across the land. PAX
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:34:58 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: I THINK I SINNED...MAYBE NOT
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »
Sounds like you're getting all sorts of practice working on these different configs Pax.  thumb1

Do you have a favorite out of all the configs you've tried? 

One of those K-Sports Parka Paras in the olive green composite BC stock...yup, there is going to be a definite spot in my collection for one of those come hell or high water!  dance2

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
RM,

I've been messing around with these for about a decade or so. Like most folks, only the Chinese get the evil hand, and then it's not something that's irreversible, unless it came to me that way. With those I try to salvage what I can from a train wreck, or something that was more than the original butcher bargained for, and then only if it's cheap enough. Don't we all wish we would have stacked them like cord wood when they were 80-100 bucks, with 1K "AP" ammo!

I've picked up, or had them in ATI & Choate Drags & Monty's, side folder, T6s (spiker, blade, & no-cut),  and Timbersmith Laminate.
To a varying degree, all but the ATI Monty seemed doable (toooo heavy) for field work, and the Timbersmith is just too nice to see anything but range time, and it's heavy too. The ATI Drag needs work not to look fugly, but it's very strong. I contacted ATI, and inquired if cutting off the weird looking risers to standard profile, would compromise the integrity. They said it shouldn't, but would void the lifetime warranty. The Dremal jumped out of the box, and off they came. The side folder is light & wobbly, but I got one of Greatguns fixed adjustable stock adapters, just haven't put it together yet.

Right now, the K-Sport Hunter with a 5 round mag and no glass, is by far the lightest, and my current love interest. It came all matching with a 10 rounder. I think originally they may have been available with 5.

Before that it was this little guy I saved and purpose built as a pig huntin truck gun.

And yes, "One of those K-Sports Parka Paras in the olive green composite BC stock...yup, there is going to be a definite spot in my collection for one of those come hell or high water!  dance2", for sure. PAX

Sounds like you're getting all sorts of practice working on these different configs Pax.  thumb1

Do you have a favorite out of all the configs you've tried? 

One of those K-Sports Parka Paras in the olive green composite BC stock...yup, there is going to be a definite spot in my collection for one of those come hell or high water!  dance2
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
How did you remove the sling mounts from that Choate Drag stock?

I love mine in every way except for those.  Attempts to remove them are met with enough resistance to worry me about breaking something trying to get them loose.  The front one is molded in...at least on mine...with no nut on the opposite side. I am not the original owner, but I don't see evidence of super glue or loctite...I just assumed there must be some other reason they wouldn't budge. Is there?