Author Topic: MY MOSINS  (Read 1659 times)

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
MY MOSINS
« on: November 17, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
after seeing post on bayonets, thought I would show the two I have. I think they are ex-dragoons. one is a 1927 tula hex, the other 1926 izhevsk hex.

online picture upload
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: MY MOSINS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 01:50:57 PM »
drool2 drool2 Mosins, and they are pretty close to me.. Really nice Carl  thumb1 thumb1

My 2 Unconverted Dragoons, the bottom is a Spanish Civil War Dragoon, the one above is a Finnish Capture Dragoon, and 2 of them Type 53s.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 03:46:48 PM »
Nice Mosins Carl!  thumb1 They're definitely ex- M91 Dragoons, made a few years before the first M91/30s came off the line at either Izhvesk or Tula.

Offline GuitarmanNick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Live each day as if it was your last!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 10:18:33 AM »

This 45 Izzy M-44 is the only Mosin I have owned to date. It is a numbers matching refurb, not counterbored and after a little work, quite a good shooter. Had a 2-1/4 pound trigger pull and a very clean break with no creep when I got it.
After being disappointed on the first outing, I decided it was worth an attempt to improve it's performance.

Finally, I used a couple of layers of cork in the stock to bed the barrel after floating it failed to produce the desired result. The theory is that is reduces the harmonic vibration of the barrel when fired and acts much like a heavy barrel would.

My eyes are shot because of complications from Grave's Eye Disease and using irons, it can still put 5 of my hand loads in an inch @ 50 yards. (4 out of 5 touching) Groups @ 100 are hard for me since I can barely make out a target at that range. When having a good day with my eyes, a fist sized group in the center of the target @ 100 yards has given me a new respect for this old rifle.

Surplus ammo has not performed well in this rifle as it will shoot patterns, instead of groups. I did break some down, balance the charges reusing the powder, and tested them with good results. Not as good as the hand loads that I developed for this particular gun, but a substantial improvement. With the right charge, a 150 gr. Hornady spire point has proven to be the most accurate in this M-44. The traditional muzzle blast is now gone according to an observer on my last range outing. When I checked the bore after shooting around 80 rounds since it's last cleaning, I was surprised to find it fairly clean. Looked almost like a dry patch had been run through before my inspection.

To those that have not known the joy of shooting an accurate Mosin rifle,... my condolences. After seeing so many talk so negatively about these Russian gems, I considered selling it. Now I am thankful to have invested the time to turn it around without visible modification or destroying it's value to a collector.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
Nice story and nicer gun Nick!  (Carl's are quite nice as well!) thumb1

Don't listen to any naysayers without first forming your own opinion via first hand experience!  I'm one of the one's who give Mosin owners a bit of a hard time (need a small mallet to cycle them I tell ya!), but it's all in jest.  I actually have great admiration for these classic firearms but know that with my addictive personality I would own 20 to 30 of them right now had I ever bought a 1st one. Besplode

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
Nice story and nicer gun Nick!  (Carl's are quite nice as well!) thumb1

Don't listen to any naysayers without first forming your own opinion via first hand experience!  I'm one of the one's who give Mosin owners a bit of a hard time (need a small mallet to cycle them I tell ya!), but it's all in jest.  I actually have great admiration for these classic firearms but know that with my addictive personality I would own 20 to 30 of them right now had I ever bought a 1st one. Besplode

Whatcha tryin to say RM???  bat1 You shouldn't pick on those of us with unsettled addictions.... we try to work through our problems and we suffer alone at times, trying to reach out for help, in our globs of storage grease and our piles of corrosive rimmed cases.  rofl2

I mean.... we all know this was your first time with a M91/30 rofl  See the new guys know now.  thumb1 thumb1 rofl2

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »
Very nice Mosins. I wish I have more. So far only two Finn M39.