Author Topic: Requesting help to determine value. Thanks. Norinco SKS.  (Read 898 times)

Offline Noobmaster69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Requesting help to determine value. Thanks. Norinco SKS.
« on: May 31, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
Hi
After spending much time trying to figure out what I have I've decided to do what men don't like to do -- ask for help.  :) I am leaning toward this being a D model. It has a 20" barrel, Combat Exchange stock, spike bayonet, Polytec optic. There are so many markings on these. I would like to narrow down the year and estimated value. I have come to understand that the optic is difficult to find. I saw one on ebay for $149.99.
Thanks.

upload picture

img hosting

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Requesting help to determine value. Thanks. Norinco SKS.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
It appears to be a 'Letter Series' receiver....likely from 1959, the latter two letters were either added by the importer or possibly to indicate some type of refurbishment in China.

That appears to be a duckbill type magazine, just based on the type of mag release on the trigger group.  D models were reworked to accept AK magazines...and the release is more akin to an AK type rocker release than the standard release yours has.

The scope and mount are aftermarket items made by the Chinese.  I have two of those scopes, both are broken....the mount is made from actual 'normal' reciever covers with the mount welded on top.

The stock is made by a predecessor of ATI, who still exists, and still makes that stock.

It is interesting that it still has a bayonet, is there a relief cut into the stock for it to fold completely? That stock didn't normally allow for a bayonet to be used as it wouldn't close completely out of the way of your hand.  The bayonet it has is incorrect for that year receiver...it should be a blade bayonet, the ferrule at the forend of the stock should have a V shaped cut rather than a more U shaped notch for the bayonet to rest in. The V is for a blade, the U is for a spike.  If I am correct about the year...it should be a V.

The mismatched trigger group leads me to think this was assembled from parts by someone at some point....likely after importation. If that indeed is a D at the beginning of it's serial...it's very interestingly ALSO a 1959 trigger....but two months older than the receiver.

B-West, the importer had a tendency aside from making VERY small import stamps, also often included the term 'Sporter' in the stamp...which was misleading to folks as there was also a Sporter model, which does use AK magazines...has a shortened barrel and a thumbhole stock.

Do any of the other parts match the receiver? The gas tube may have electro penciled numbers on it, as might the piston....possibly even underneath the rear sight leaf.  The original magazine and receiver cover would also have had the serial too....as would the original stock.

As far as collectable status, there is so much replaced on it...there really isn't any.  It is worth what your locale pays for an average modified SKS....so anywhere from $250-$300ish.  The value on these goes up regularly....ten years ago, you could expect half that much. It really depends on the buyer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:47:10 PM by Justin Hell »

Offline Noobmaster69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
Thank you very much for the info. I have a much better idea now of the asking price.

In the 2 different areas I have lived in I haven't seen any SKS listed for under $350 in at least 10 years which was very puzzling to me. I always thought of them as a $250-$300 gun. .....

The market I am in now has 5 on Armslist, the lowest asking price is $450. The most expensive listed at $650. None have any extras like optic, bayonet, bipod, etc. I will watch and find out what they go for. Asking price means nothing of course.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »
Currently the prices are a bit nuts....and kind of inflated beyond reality.

The recent batch of imports made parts prices skyrocket as this batch was in pretty crummy shape....the Covid thing also has everyone in a stitch regarding firearms to boot.

In general though, the bigger bucks normally come from 100% matching guns...aftermarket stuff does seem to make the asking price go up, but the collector usually avoids them.

I try to restore my SKSs to as close to period correct as possible, but a lot of them have 'little black dress' outfits too. It kind of depends on the political climate as to how I have them configured.  rofl

In a situation such as yours....I tend to go a little more towards aftermarket stuff, for the fun of it.  It sure would be nice if more of the aftermarket stuff wasn't junk though.  If your magazine has USA stamped at the bottom hold on to it....or sell it RIGHT NOW, folks are paying stupid prices for USA duckbills.  The non USA ones are far less reliable...although briefly someone was making them without the USA stamp from the same machining....over the last few months they are selling for nearly twice what a factory 10 rounder would should.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »
Kind of a cool variant in my opinion.

I wouldn't do that to a good matching rifle, but I'd buy one if the price was right.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7