Surplus only (any)
1 (14.3%)
Hand loads only
0 (0%)
Don't care as long as it goes bang!!!
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 23, 2017, 07:37:28 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Ammo For Your SKS?  (Read 16565 times)

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: Favorite Ammo For Your SKS?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »
I repeat again, not asking about accurracy, just asking about what sks owners prefer to shoot through their sks rifle.  Golden Tiger, Gold Bear, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Tula, Winchester, or other modern ammo?  Why is this question so difficult to answer for so many?

Not sure why the attitude.....   We keep answering your question....we're just stating our observations as well.

Exactly what "format" would you like our answers in??

Maybe you should start a new thread in poll format.

No attitude at all.  The question was/is "What is your favorite ammo to shoot through your sks rifle."  No mention was made about accuracy at all.  Do you understand the English language or does a picture book need to be provided?   ;)  Just asking.  The question is which ammo do the sks owners prefer to shoot through their sks regardless of accurracy.  Read my friend, read.  It will do your body and mind good!   ;)

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
I repeat again, not asking about accurracy, just asking about what sks owners prefer to shoot through their sks rifle.  Golden Tiger, Gold Bear, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Tula, Winchester, or other modern ammo?  Why is this question so difficult to answer for so many?

Not sure why the attitude.....   We keep answering your question....we're just stating our observations as well.

No attitude at all.  The question was/is "What is your favorite ammo to shoot through your sks rifle."  No mention was made about accuracy at all.  Do you understand the English language or does a picture book need to be provided?   ;)  Just asking.  The question is which ammo do the sks owners prefer to shoot through their sks regardless of accurracy.  Read my friend, read.  It will do your body and mind good!   ;)

Easy there sunshine... it's called a "discussion" board for a reason, to carry on a viable discussion on subjects at hand and ask and answer questions. Like the Surge said, we are just sharing our experiences and observations from years of playing, enjoying and shooting many types of ammo with these weapons, so there is no need to go get all hackled up and insult people.

Ok.. you want you an answer.  thumb1

My answer is Wolf. It's cheap and I have alot of it. Nuff said.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 07:33:35 PM »

Easy there sunshine... it's called a "discussion" board for a reason, to carry on a viable discussion on subjects at hand and ask and answer questions. Like the Surge said, we are just sharing our experiences and observations from years of playing, enjoying and shooting many types of ammo with these weapons, so there is no need to go get all hackled up and insult people.

Ok.. you want you an answer.  thumb1

My answer is Wolf. It's cheap and I have alot of it. Nuff said.

Understood and no harm intended.  My question is why can not anyone just answer a simple question asked?  I realize it is a disscussion site and I am not looking to insult anyone.  Just why can not anyone answer a simple question?  Have we all fallen to the lower level of not being able to comprehend and answer to simple questions asked?  If so, I understand why the USA is in the ruin it is of right now! 
And for all those wondering, I prefer Wolf WPA, 123-124 HP ammo through my SKS!

Offline Draq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
Probably.....because it's akin to asking which bottled water tastes the best. :) Basically in my eyes, your asking for a brand name favorite. Because they, all those mentioned brands are just so similar and close in design, with the exception of true blue U.S. made ammo, there is not enough real difference between them to pick one, other than the brand name on the box. I have had bad rounds out of all the ones I've tried, a popped primer, stuck case, ripped case head, a fail to fire or squib..

There will typically be bigger variances between specific rifles shooting said xxxx made round than in the actual ammo it's self. So what works great in in one, may or may not work great in another.

My 5 basic rules of all modern made commie ammo..

#1 it's cheap
#2 it goes bang
#3 it's "usually" not corrosive
#4 it is not match grade
#5 if the SHTF, it's a go to goodness 

and occasionally
#6 it's high speed mass produced in countries with questionable or very little quality control.

Another way to think about it.. If I had 500 rounds of Wolf and say 500 rounds of Russian RAS ammo, and I removed the headstamps, sealer and swapped all the exterior boxes randomly and let you shoot all 1000 rounds all willy nilly, off hand, bench, prone your choice, could you tell me which was which or which the boxes were swapped and which was the best.
basically this. I've bought RAS and Tulammo and while RAS was the dirtier brand, they both functioned flawlessly.im not trying to pick sides in an argument (especially one no one wants to have in the first place), but unfortunately the commercial version of our favorite soviet slug just doesn't have much of a varience. Not to the same degree as say, 9mm, 5.56/.223, 7.62x51/.308, .45, .40,etc... Even surplus isn't too terribly different. The Russians designed it for thousands of soldiers to fire in the direction of the enemy, with the level of capabilities being what we today in America consider, the bottom line of acceptable: neutralize a human sized target with one round under 400 meters. But to answer the question: my favorite is red army standard purely because I love the box.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »
There.... a handy dandy poll for someone to pick. No explanation or words are needed. thumb1 In 3 weeks we shall see the outcome. :)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »
Ok, here's my answer: i prefer anything that shoots in my guns.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »

But to answer the question: my favorite is red army standard purely because I love the box.

This, this, this, right here!  This is the answer I am looking for!  No need for an explanation of why, why not, or anything else.  The question is "what is your favorite ammo to shoot through your sks rifle?"  Why, I ask you all is that so dificult to answer?   :o

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »

But to answer the question: my favorite is red army standard purely because I love the box.

This, this, this, right here!  This is the answer I am looking for!  No need for an explanation of why, why not, or anything else.  The question is "what is your favorite ammo to shoot through your sks rifle?"  Why, I ask you all is that so dificult to answer?   :o

But...but he explained why... he loves the box.  :)  So technically, like the rest of us...he failed the question test.  rofl rofl2 chuckles1

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »

But...but he explained why... he loves the box.  :)  So technically, like the rest of us...he failed the question test.  rofl rofl2 chuckles1

Oh please!   :(
Yep, just what I thought.  We are all down the tubes big time in a hurry!   :(

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
I like the shinny type with a pointed projectile and smokeless gunpowder.   :)

What I win?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 09:43:38 PM »
Ok ok..

I like silver bear because..

1) I like silver
2) It has a silver color casing
3) The version I have has a silver softpoint.
4) It runs great in everything I put it in.
5) BrownBear reminds me of bear scat.
6) Pretty blue box
7) Werewolves
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:06:37 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »
I voted for Golden Tiger ......... but not because I think it's more accurate, or not because it has a sealed primer/bullet and not because it has always been reliable for me, also not because it is always available for low prices at my LGS.

Just messin with ya sponge  chuckles1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
Another thing to think about when looking at imported former Soviet state ammo is to remember that they do subcontract out to each other. Barnaul may make 122 gr FMJ Brown Bear one year, and then Red Army Standard could come in and have Barnaul make some 123 gr. FMJ RAS branded ammo the next year after having Romania make it the year before. Tula could be made at Uly., or maybe Kilmovsk, or right at Tula Cartridge itself.  You might love Tula 124 gr. HP made at Uly in one year, but the same 124 gr. HP made at TCW might be terrible stuff.

To answer the original question, I'd go with Wolf 154 gr. SP for hogs.  Nice and heavy and slow.  thumb1

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
Ok, just to clear things up.  First, I apologize to any one I may have insulted, it was not my intention to do so.  The question is/was, what is your "favorite" 7.69x39 ammo you like to use in your sks.  What is your go to ammo for it.  Not taking accuracy into consideration, what works best in it as in reliably functions and cycles the rifle with the fewest ftf, failure to fire, failure to eject.

Offline reloader762

• Newber
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
It's been my experience after about 15 years of shooting all kinds of surplus and factory ammo both steel and brass case,reloading and casting bullets for the 7.62 x 39 cartridge that the SKS platform can be an accurate rifle if you feed it the ammo it likes,whether you have the time,money,patients or desire to experiment and fine out is a personal choice.  Maybe you don't really care about all that and what to just shoot the cheapest ammo you can find in a centerfire cartridge.

As for me all the above was an still is important.  When I bought my SKS rifles they were fairly cheap by todays prices,I gave like $149 for my refurbished 1970 Yugo M59/66A1 that I got to hand pick out of a full crate and I gave around $250 for a new in box Factory 26 Chinese SKS,to me the SKS is a poor mans M1 Garand,they are well made,reliable,easy to maintain and reasonably accurate out to 300 yds. if you feed it what it like.  The SKS is a tool that for me may be called on to serve a variety of rolls.

SKS bores can vary after all they have the same twist as the Mosin rifles an some barrels were even made using old Mosin rifle barrel blanks.  In general though you will find that most SKS rifles have .310 to .312" groove bores both my rifles have .312" groove bores so different dia. bullets shoot differently.   As far as steel case surplus or commercial Russian ammo goes it's pretty much a crap shoot until you try it in your rifle,some might shoot well some might not and it can vary between different lots as well.  I've tried many different brands of steel case and found that Golden Tiger FMJ or Bear ammo in FMJ,SP or HP all shot very well in my SKS rifles all the ammo was the lacquer coated steel case,the polymer coated an silver ie Zinc plated cases which actually used to be nickel plated have a tendency for the coating to start getting chalky or rust developing if they are not stored properly for long periods of time,

As far as the bullet used the majority are bimetal jackets ie steel jacket bullets with a copper coating and lead core,the jackets are also not bonded to the lead so cup and core separation often time happens which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want the bullet to do.  Also keep in mind that the HP's and SP bullets are more of a marketing function to sell ammo rather than actually preforming as those types bullets are usually intended to do.  Sometime they do work as intended sometimes not,there are lots of variables that will determine if thats the case,velocity an what they actually hit,in general the closer the better as at some point impact velocity want overcome the steel jacket an your basically shooting FMJ bullets at that point.  With ammo loaded with bullets made by companies like Hornady,Federal,Remington,Winchester,PPU etc. those bullets are designed to work just like any normal hunting bullet at 7.62 x 39 velocities.  So you can buy what you know works or just take you chances.  Most all the ammo I shot as well shot to different points of aim so that something to be aware of as well if your switching form one brad to another.

My personal preference for plinking,target shooting and hunting are cast lead bullets I cast myself.  The bullets I cast and use most are the Lee 160 gr. RNFP,Lee 185 gr. RN or a custom mold I purchased from NOE that cast a 160 gr. FP bullet all are of the gas check design.  I also have a good stockpile of Hornady SP's and V-MAX bullet that I bought in bulk many years ago for 8 to 10 cents each.  I also load my own 150 gr. SP's bullets made by Speer,Sierra and PPU,those along with the Lee 185 gr. cast bullet are my close range bush busters.  One of the benefits of reloading my own ammo is that I can tailor they ammo to each rifle although the different rds. I settled on seem to shoot about the same in both rifle cast or jacketed.  The cast generally shoot lower at long range but that an easy holdover adjustment once you shoot them a lot.

So in general in my rifles if I'm shooting steel case ammo it's going to be GT FMJ or Bear SP's

For general purpose plinking and shooting I shoot cast lead.

For hunting it can be either of the heavier cast lead bullets,123 or 150 gr. Jacketed bullets.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman

Offline reloader762

• Newber
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
Here are a couple targets from some load development a few years back that I settled on.  The only changes made to the rifles were to replace the front sight post with a Techsight target post which cost about $7 shipped.  Targets were only shot at 50 yds. with the iron sight which is fine as about 100 yds. is the Max. distance you can usually shoot around here due to the area being heavily wooded.

Ammo test with GT FMJ & BB SP an cast lead loads.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
;)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/10/1moa-sks/amp/

Nice!   thumb1
Do you use it in any matches?

Nope...   I haven't even done much with it after building it.  One of these days I shall get to working on some load testing. 

Offline Dirtydawg81

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 12:51:52 AM »
Nice L.C, you got yourself a beautiful rifle. Pure Beauty ..