Author Topic: Swedish CG63 with a provenance  (Read 5152 times)

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
Swedish CG63 with a provenance
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »
My pride and joy is a Swedish CG63 made from an 1895 Mauserwerke Oberndorf A/N M94 receiver in 1965 at the Swedish Carl Gustafs arsenal. What makes it special is that it has been confirmed that the famous Swedish gunsmith, Alvar Holmgren, has worked on it, he's a member of the Rosersbergs shooting club it came from. Sweedish collectors as well as the club have confirmed to me that if his sticker is on it he worked on it. Whoever did the trigger work knew what he was doing, that's for sure. The thing that really sets this one off is that it is built on the oldest receiver used for a CG63 known to all the leading American and Swedish collectors I know. Serial number #1303. the closest one I've found was in the 5000s. Accuracy is top notch as it went under m.o.a. the first time I took it out.

If you love Mauser actions I hope you enjoy these pictures.

100 yards, I can fit the group into the 1" black square next to it.

First time out. 100 yards. 139 grain PPU SP, Handloads should tighten these up some more.

LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Swedish CG63 with a provenance
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »
That's a fine piece Sheep, good shooter too it looks like!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:44:02 AM »
That is a beautiful Swede! Do you know if they have certain criteria for selecting a rifle to build into a CG63?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
Thats a great rifle sheep....  makes me wanna get mine out and spend some more time developing a good load for it.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
That is a beautiful Swede! Do you know if they have certain criteria for selecting a rifle to build into a CG63?

Basically the Swedish government gave it's Carl Gustafs arsenal 10,000 M94 receivers and matching bolts in 1963 or 64 and said make CG63s out of them. The first batch of 10,000 which mine is one of, have been called "purpose built" CG63s by some of the Swedish collectors I talk to. Civilians and FSR shooters could also send their M96 or M94 (uncommon) to Carl Gustafs, Norma Preciscion or one of the better Swedish smiths such as the previously mentioned Alvar Holmgren for the conversion. I think as many as 60,000 were converted in about a 15 year period.

The only criteria I know of was the receiver and bolt had to be in good shape, the Swedish craftsmen did the rest.   thumb1
LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 06:58:22 PM »
Thanks for the great info. One of those is definitely on my long list.