Author Topic: Is it just me or.......  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Is it just me or.......
« on: June 08, 2015, 05:56:50 PM »
Does it seem like the aftermarket bubba type parts market on SKSs is going by the wayside?(or north to Canada at least) I just don't see much movement in that direction anymore since the importation of these C&R eligible Type 56s have hit the market. It is like the wake-up call has been sounded and everyone is like "oh, these are C&R now so we need to keep them all original or restore them as best we can"

Not that I'm saying it's necessarily a bad thing, can go either way. It is just something I noticed while trying to sell a few of my folding adapters to get rid of the last of the materials I had on hand.

Any comments on this?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: Is it just me or.......
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
Well here in the US, I see TONS of plastic SKSs. Even on Gunbroker. I don't mind if people want to do that...but most throw out the original parts. I come across some neat versions that are a shame everything is missing on them (like the tacticool "DP" model that's been on GB for a while).

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
Oh, I know there are tons of already bubba'd SKSs out there. I have put several out there myself, lol.(at least I only work with ones that are already messed with and leave the OEMs alone)
My point is that the market has gotten saturated along with a new understanding that these are collectible, even the commercial Chinese ones have gained some 'collector' value.
This is a trend that has probably hit every milsurp firearm over time with the exception maybe being the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Those always seemed to keep their original flavor without drawing the aftermarket crowd for alterations.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »
Oh, I know there are tons of already bubba'd SKSs out there. I have put several out there myself, lol.(at least I only work with ones that are already messed with and leave the OEMs alone)
My point is that the market has gotten saturated along with a new understanding that these are collectible, even the commercial Chinese ones have gained some 'collector' value.
This is a trend that has probably hit every milsurp firearm over time with the exception maybe being the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Those always seemed to keep their original flavor without drawing the aftermarket crowd for alterations.

Yeah...SKS's are skyrocketing in value right now. The commercial Chinese are bringing more than the old war rifles. I see people asking stupid money for bubba'd ones (600-700), but I don't see people buying them for that.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »
Yeah, I have that one I bought with a bent barrel I am almost finished with(waiting on firing pin and retainer) If I sell it after finishing it, I would only be asking $300-$350 at most the way I have it set up now.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 03:33:49 AM »
I am a big fan of dabbling with the aftermarket parts because I kind of find it fun...that being said there are so many lackluster things that have been released for the SKS...it is a crap shoot buying anything.  Even the new and improved NC Star gas tube assembly is using recycled crooked tubes from their previous release. The variances from SKS to SKS also don't lend to 'every' product being universal....so buying fitted used parts proves to be frustrating.

Oft, I just try to restore...but I do have my bubba needs too.  Recently we have been offered the Archangel stock...which I like, but is overpriced IMO. There is also the Kicklite stock...which looks OK, but basically just is an upgraded Tapco concept. There is that new Leapers mount, that is an oversized, overpriced version of the same ol receiver cover mount...and the aforementioned new NC Star tube.  Everything else seems to be from Canada...whose recent influx of cheap SKS's would seem to lend to their own aftermarket bloom.  While I respect the two competing companies making those new scope mounts...they also seem overpriced and invasive.

As for the American market, I think we have seen the heyday of aftermarket and will now have to deal with NOS scores.  Some of which are very cool designs...but most of which are outdated and never were practical in the first place.  I do think the recent influx of war horse SKS's has given many people pause as they don't give the same cheapo nature that barrels full of 'new' Chinese $79 SKS's once did.  I like to think this lends a bit more 'street cred' to the SKS than it usually gets...original parts sure are getting a lot more attention than they used to.