Author Topic: Trigger guard spring  (Read 662 times)

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Trigger guard spring
« on: January 25, 2023, 03:47:25 PM »
Hi Gents
I recently purchased a Chinese SKS for a shooter. Bubba added a plastic stock and a duck bill magazine : (

As I disassembled it .. I noticed the trigger guard spring was missing - so I purchased one from the internet . It came in today and I tried to put it in but the hole is too small .

Is it worth drilling the hole out to make it fit or just leave it alone ?

It shoots just fine without it - any thoughts would be appreciated !!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Trigger guard spring
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 05:29:05 PM »
I'm a little confused.  Is this the leaf spring with the pawl that holds the trigger group into the receiver or the coil spring that resides on the bottom of the stock that allows the trigger group to come out (much) more easily when disassembling?

or

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 05:36:57 PM »
I'm sure he's referring to the tension spring RM.

If the plastic stock is one of the old Combat Exchange/ATI Ultra-lite folding stocks then yes the holes for the tension spring were usually too small a diameter and need to be drilled out to size. Be careful though because the drill bits like to grab that plastic and you'll drill too deep before you know what happened. Another option is to go to a hardware store like ACE and get a spring with similar tension that is the correct diameter for the hole. You can usually get one for a couple of $.

If you picked up an OEM stock and the spring won't go in, sometimes you have to force it as it is made to be a little bit of a tight fit so the spring does not fall out and get lost during a field cleaning. Having said that, yes the hole in an OEM stock can be drilled out as well, but again be careful of the depth.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 05:48:09 PM »
It is the trigger guard spring

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 05:49:58 PM »
It will not fit in the plastic stock , but shoots fine without it

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 06:30:53 PM »
I'm sure he's referring to the tension spring RM.

If the plastic stock is one of the old Combat Exchange/ATI Ultra-lite folding stocks then yes the holes for the tension spring were usually too small a diameter and need to be drilled out to size. Be careful though because the drill bits like to grab that plastic and you'll drill too deep before you know what happened. Another option is to go to a hardware store like ACE and get a spring with similar tension that is the correct diameter for the hole. You can usually get one for a couple of $.

If you picked up an OEM stock and the spring won't go in, sometimes you have to force it as it is made to be a little bit of a tight fit so the spring does not fall out and get lost during a field cleaning. Having said that, yes the hole in an OEM stock can be drilled out as well, but again be careful of the depth.

It is a combat exchange   -  like I said it is a good solid shooter without the spring !

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 08:46:31 PM »
The purpose of the spring is to create tension against the trigger group from the stock. It aids in the separation when taking apart your SKS for cleaning and such. If it is tight and doesn't move up and down then no, you don't necessarily need the spring, but it does help when taking it apart. If the stock moves up and down at the back then installing the spring will help as slop in the stock can affect accuracy of your SKS.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 10:37:39 PM »
The purpose of the spring is to create tension against the trigger group from the stock. It aids in the separation when taking apart your SKS for cleaning and such. If it is tight and doesn't move up and down then no, you don't necessarily need the spring, but it does help when taking it apart. If the stock moves up and down at the back then installing the spring will help as slop in the stock can affect accuracy of your SKS.

Thanks for the input , it is tight in the stock and shoots well , think I’ll leave it alone for now - thanks again !