Author Topic: Peep Sight Discussion  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Peep Sight Discussion
« on: August 03, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »
Hi all.

First of all, allow me to give props to my peeps, as it were:

Weldrdave - for his thread here: https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=5133.0

And Justin Hell, for his thread here: https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3977.0

In reading through both of those threads, it becomes apparent that there's obviously a market - niche or not - for a peep sight for our beloved SKS.
I was raised using standard notch and post type sight, and I was pretty good with them.
Once Uncle Sam got his hands on me, he introduced me to peep sights and I was HOOKED! I dang near hawkeyed my qualification in basic training.
(3 stinking points...grumble, grumble, grumble)

Anyhoo..... These aftermarket sights require no permanent alterations such as drilling and tapping. Plus they can offer a longer sight radius if you get the Tech-Sights version, and that's always a good thing.

I'm currently looking for a cheap, beat up SKS for a bubba project, and I'd definitely give these sights a once over as I believe they'd be an improvement over the stock sights.

I'm interested in hearing any and all opinions and experiences to help me make my choice when the time comes.

I have no issue with removing the pin in the take down. I have some experience doing that sort of thing.

So, fellas, what do you guys think? 

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline auskip07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: Peep Sight Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »
I have a tech sight in the box and a Rifletech  (dc engineering ) on its way to me.   Ill share a picture of DC engineering one becuase i havent been able to find any current pictures online.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:36:02 PM »
I have a tech sight in the box and a Rifletech  (dc engineering ) on its way to me.   Ill share a picture of DC engineering one becuase i havent been able to find any current pictures online.

Outstanding!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:50:01 PM »
I totally forgot about the magwedge peep.  I was a bit taken aback by the price considering it's something one could perhaps fabricate themselves....heck it might be fun!

I think the way to go is with the new revisions of the TS200 though. The extra sight radius makes a big difference. Not having to screw with windage at the post must be nice too.

I also have the William's peep, which didn't really work for me on the gun it came with just because it was blasphemy....with a white plastic Tapco post no less, on an early 50 Russian.    nea1   A later attempt on another didn't give me the sight radius, plus...that time I also included the Firesight it was supposed to utilize...which is just a shoddy design that should have been revised before even making it to market.  I never even bothered to shoot it, because the Firesight has to be drifted all the way to whichever side the screw head was....I did try a few things to combat that...ultimately hard rubber O rings, that would certainly melt... were used to get it at least centered.  Fortunately, they have since been discontinued.   

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
Ok,sorry I was out of town for a while and remembered to get back to posting the DC Engineering adjustable steel peep sight for the SKS.Windage is thru the screw on the right side for left and right.Elevation is thru the standard elevator that is transferred from the stock unit.It's a simple bolt on deal,just transfer the elevator to the new sight.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 06:36:20 PM »
ok so its basically a cheaper maxwedge  peep sight.  I do like that it keeps the original feel of the rifle.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
The big distinction is that the maxwedge does not appear to be adjustable for windage.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 11:51:25 PM »
Dangit...Harbor Freight welder here I come.