Author Topic: And the story continues, 59/66 Yugo  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
And the story continues, 59/66 Yugo
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »
So continued from the general discussion thread, I'll save you the long details but I get to my friends house, he has decided to keep the one with the holes in the grenade launcher, (it was in a tad bit nicer shape) and sell me this one.  I realized it had a peep sight on it  ???  He said he didn't want that and he took the traditional one.  Ok, No biggie and I walked out $450.00 less in the wallet.  I took it to the gun club and sent a few rounds down the pipe and said to myself WHAT THE H@!!... ?   I hit "NOTHING"! 50 yards, NOTHING!  So I grabbed a person down the club and asked him if he could see where I was hitting. I put a 3ft piece of white paper on the target board, "NOTHING AGAIN"????   So, now frustrated I said, keep a good eye where they were hitting.  It's 0930 and I'm ready to start drinking!!!  5 more rounds and we realized I was hitting about 2 ft above the target board!!!  ??? :o   Ok, now I understand why the person sold these to him, they must of had NO conception of sighting in a rifle.  So after getting it on the paper, tweeking the front sight, and the peep sight was adjusted to full up, getting it down, I honed in to "3 to 4" groups on center!  I almost went to the bar!!!  rofl.  My wife wouldn't have me liked coming home hit in the A$$ at 1100
Anyway, here she is.  I can say there is very, very little use on it.  I have no idea how old it is but it's a nice shooter now.  At first I was ready to throw it in the pond!   rofl2. I gotta be careful now, SKS's seem to show up in 3's for me. It happened not long ago...   Oh, Edit, Everything matches number wise...

USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: And the story continues, 59/66 Yugo
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
Can you dump the peep sight and just use the standard sights?

I can see there that peep would/could be useful on a bubba special, but that rifle looks pretty dang nice.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »

I can see there that peep would/could be useful on a bubba special, but that rifle looks pretty dang nice.
Yes, I can.  I'd have to find a bolt cover pin latch.  It's shooting fine and the factory sights are intact.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:18:00 PM »

Yes, I can.  I'd have to find a bolt cover pin latch.  It's shooting fine and the factory sights are intact.

I have a latch lever. You will need to get the ground down pin removed and find another pin. Also, not sure if it is Chinese or Yugo. The condition it is in is the way I received it.
It was on a project SKS I am working on. The rifle is Chinese, but the rear cover is Yugo. Also, that is a tech-sight TS200 yes?? May be interested in it.

Nice find BTW :)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 12:41:46 PM »

I'm gonna leave it "as is" for now.  I only got about 40 rounds through it.  It took 20 just to figure where I was hitting!  rofl. I may replace it and yes, it is a Tech-site TS 200

I have a latch lever. You will need to get the ground down pin removed and find another pin. Also, not sure if it is Chinese or Yugo. The condition it is in is the way I received it.
It was on a project SKS I am working on. The rifle is Chinese, but the rear cover is Yugo. Also, that is a tech-sight TS200 yes?? May be interested in it.

Nice find BTW :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »
A K block, so it’s 1974 production and probably made in January, based on the serial number being near the bottom of the range for the ~50K made in 1974.

Good pick up  thumb1 Glad you got the sights zeroed  :o

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »
A K block, so it’s 1974 production and probably made in January, based on the serial number being near the bottom of the range for the ~50K made in 1974.

Good pick up  thumb1 Glad you got the sights zeroed  :o
Thank you!   thumb1. Nice to know that.   :)

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »
That is a nice one!
The wood looks really nice.  The sight doesn't bother me that much.
Looks like a fine shooter from here.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 10:04:30 PM »
You do know that the rear sight is supposed to be removed from the gun when using Tech Sights right?  There is even a pin included to retain the spring leaf.  I can only imagine how awkward it must be trying to use them with that in the way...because, honestly...I didn't think it was even possible....especially with the night sights flipped up. :)

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 07:31:42 AM »
You do know that the rear sight is supposed to be removed from the gun when using Tech Sights right?  There is even a pin included to retain the spring leaf.  I can only imagine how awkward it must be trying to use them with that in the way...because, honestly...I didn't think it was even possible....especially with the night sights flipped up. :)
You can't even see the rear leaf sight with the Tech sight.  When I look through the peep, all I see is the front.  "Now" it's actually working well.  When the person before me put it on, it was adjusted in the full "up" position.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 10:25:36 AM »
You can't even see the rear leaf sight with the Tech sight.  When I look through the peep, all I see is the front.  "Now" it's actually working well.  When the person before me put it on, it was adjusted in the full "up" position.

Weird!  I wonder if the design changed or if the TS200 is capable of leaving it intact.  It also looked like perhaps they didn't have to modify the stock too, which is another reason I tend to not use my TS100.  Perhaps my memory is flawed? I might just play around with mine again today.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 08:04:06 AM »

Weird!  I wonder if the design changed or if the TS200 is capable of leaving it intact.  It also looked like perhaps they didn't have to modify the stock too, which is another reason I tend to not use my TS100.  Perhaps my memory is flawed? I might just play around with mine again today.
Not sure what to say here... It works fine.  here's the link to read about it. https://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 10:57:52 AM »
Guys, I started a thread about peep sights here: https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=5138.0

I'd like to gain some perspective about them if y'all will help me out.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 10:58:18 PM »

Not sure what to say here... It works fine.  here's the link to read about it. https://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

Interesting, they have redesigned them a bit, and it seems that the TS100, which I have, doesn't have enough clearance for 'Norincos'.  Mine seems to be cast rather than milled, and has a bit of a different profile. It appears notching the wrist of the stock isn't necessary anymore.  I suspect the design didn't change much on the TS100, which is why they also don't seem to want you to remove the rear sight anymore...they just say it won't work at all.

That is actually cool to find out. I thought everything looked weird with the leaf missing.  The newer ones also appear to blend with the native metal better than the cast versions. I may just be tempted to get one of the Revision B TS200s.  I am sure my eyes will appreciate it.

Thanks for updating me on that! :)