Author Topic: Boris from PA via CA.  (Read 8193 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Boris from PA via CA.
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »
Greetings all. And, thanks for having me.

I'm new to sks collecting But I've followed
the various Sks forums for the better part of the last decade.  I got my first sks last April...but the bug bit deep and  has taken a virulent and unshakeable hold.

My collection grew quickly -- 21 or 22 SKS variants before December. I've since lightened up my collection to focus on all matching carbines and/or unique variants. My current obsession is the Soviet Sneak-- which I often refer to as the Type45/56 as the term 'sneak' (much like Izzy, or Ghost -- which are also ok by me) is irksome to some collectors and quickly derails many threads when used.

I am member of several sks forums -- but as a resource I generally steer newbs and inquiring minds to the sks-files and weebly chinesesks pages; As the depth and breadth of sks research is unparalleled.

Kudos. Great work!

As it stands, my collection now consists of 15 carbines:

-1950 (possibly '51) Spring loaded. Non Chrome lined . 45° fgb. Type 45/56
-1952-54  Type 45/56
-1954 Izhevsk. XXXXstock.  refurb-lite.
-1955 Tula-- as-issued* w/ Bubba lite stock refinish   
-1958 "K" Type 45/56 All Matching Laminate stock

--Two 1960 Romy's -- both refurbs

-187K Ghost All matching
-210K Ghost All Matching
-2mil /26\ All matching
-3mil /26\ All Matching. (Rifle from Century Arms' online add from October 2012)
-"M" letter /26\ All Matching
-"E" letter /26\ All matching
-11mil /26\ All Matching. As-issued.
-7mil /6616\ mismatch w/cheese grater. and the most accurate gun in my collection.

I'd like to one day add a NK an NVA and an Albanian to my collection. And fill the serial gaps in the early type 56s.

My Unicorn, however, would be a 90° Type 45/56.A pretty tall order, of course, but it can't hurt to put the word out there.

I'm also hopeful (though, entirely realistic re imposssiblities) that the original covers to the two early Sneaks Type 45/56 in my collection will one day present themselves.

I collect pistols too, but with far, far, far less focus and enthusiasm than I have for the SKS.

Thanks again,

Boris.

Happy new year.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Boris from PA via CA.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
Welcome from WA via MD, FL, MN, and TX (in reverse chronological order).  I'm a Minnesotan by 29 years of up-bringing and 25 years of education (yeah, so I'm a little slow) and a Washingtonian by geographical and climatic preferences, except this Winter  cry2

Nice collection and aspirations  thumb1  Your lottery alphanumeric sequence for today is ОН5886 (Cyrillic letters shown) with the Powerball number 52 ('52 Tula). That's the refurb receiver cover found on my first SKS, which is a mixmaster named "I. Ferko" (not my doing, the name was already there).  I'd be happy to trade its cover for any other randomly numbered cover if someone with the ОН5886 receiver shows up  :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »
Welcome...sounds like a nice bunch, needs more Romanian though thumb1 :)

Ok... now a quick question.. cause..... I am that guy, ask anyone here.  rofl2

If your Type 45/56 term derails so many threads when used by you, why continue to use it?   It's kind of like if the stove is red hot and burns you, don't keep touching it.. thumb1 

Why would one want to reinvent the wheel by trying to rename something that has a collective community commonly used name? Just call'em what they are and keep the discussion on the tracks, thereby getting more info to further everyones knowledge  thumb1

Ok....so, it was 2 questions.. anyway, welcome thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
Welcome from NM.  Glad to have you here! thumb1 

Hope you enjoy the forum and feel welcome here.  I know you were involved in a Gunboards interaction or two that might have gotten off on the wrong foot with members here, but I'd like to think we're all adults at this forum and can move past any misunderstandings/hard feelings that may have occurred last year.  We're all in this to learn.  clap1

If your Type 45/56 term derails so many threads when used by you, why continue to use it?   It's kind of like if the stove is red hot and burns you, don't keep touching it.. thumb1 

Dammit GM don't be that guy!  chuckles1

I think Boris was saying that the uppity 'real collectors' on Gunboards and perhaps even SKSBoards get all hot and offended when someone utters the word 'sneak'.  Meh, we don't get wrapped around the axle around here on terminology for the most part.  As long as people know what everyone else is talking about we're good.  Call it a Norinco, call it a sneak, call it a dust cover (though Carl in CT is likely cringing at that last one) and most people here will be able to follow.  If it needs clarification, I'm sure someone will ask for it.  thumb1

Anywhoo, welcome aboard.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »
hi Boris and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
When I hear 45/56 I think soviet-sino....  Post it up! 

Welcome

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
Welcome from Montana :)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
Welcome...sounds like a nice bunch, needs more Romanian though thumb1 :)

If your Type 45/56 term derails so many threads when used by you, why continue to use it?   

Thanks, and glad to be here!

It's the term "Sneak" that some find irksome and annoying and can derail threads (just like "Izzy" and "Ghost"-- both of which are great terms in my estimation). So I started using Type 45/56 because it sounds boring and technical.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
Welcome from WA via MD, FL, MN, and TX (in reverse chronological order).  I'm a Minnesotan by 29 years of up-bringing and 25 years of education (yeah, so I'm a little slow) and a Washingtonian by geographical and climatic preferences, except this Winter  cry2

Nice collection and aspirations  thumb1  Your lottery alphanumeric sequence for today is ОН5886 (Cyrillic letters shown) with the Powerball number 52 ('52 Tula). That's the refurb receiver cover found on my first SKS, which is a mixmaster named "I. Ferko" (not my doing, the name was already there).  I'd be happy to trade its cover for any other randomly numbered cover if someone with the ОН5886 receiver shows up  :)

Thanks. You are quite the Nomad.

Sadly, those are not the number on my tickets. пш 2958 (1950-51), and 3K 681 (1952-53) are my quick-picks.

Ill keep an eye out for that barreled reciever...

and if i find it, i'll make you a  fair offer for that cover. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:00:02 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
Welcome from NM.  Glad to have you here! thumb1 

Hope you enjoy the forum and feel welcome here.  I know you were involved in a Gunboards interaction or two that might have gotten off on the wrong foot with members here, but I'd like to think we're all adults at this forum and can move past any misunderstandings/hard feelings that may have occurred last year.  We're all in this to learn.  clap1

Dammit GM don't be that guy!  chuckles1

I think Boris was saying that the uppity 'real collectors' on Gunboards and perhaps even SKSBoards get all hot and offended when someone utters the word 'sneak'.  Meh, we don't get wrapped around the axle around here on terminology for the most part.  As long as people know what everyone else is talking about we're good.  Call it a Norinco, call it a sneak, call it a dust cover (though Carl in CT is likely cringing at that last one) and most people here will be able to follow.  If it needs clarification, I'm sure someone will ask for it.  thumb1

Anywhoo, welcome aboard.

Thanks, RM--

You've (all) done a lot of great work here and over at the chinese pages. Hope to be able to learn more...and contribute.

Only term that really irks me (actually, it's more amusing than anything) is when i see type 56's listed as Norinco and vice versa-- especially when the FFL writes it down in his log. My first two 45/56's were listed in the FFL log as 'Chinese'  because, hey, that's what the seller's papers said. And, doggone-it that's what the import stamp says. Sometimes it works to our advantage...

Glad to be here. Been lurking for a bit, but I do that on all the forums I join.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »
hi Boris and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro.  thumb1

Thanks!

And believe me, if you liked the intro just wait til one of my rambling threads or post replies...

har har

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
Welcome from Montana :)

Thanks.

In college i knew a girl who's family were cattle ranchers. Every so often they would overnight several pounds Tri-tips and Rib-eyes to her dorm and she'd grill em up for the lucky few.

Beautiful country.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »

Welcome

Both appropriate and totally understandable, IMO.

Dont have a foto-hosting account yet. But I'm working on it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

Welcome

Both appropriate and totally understandable, IMO.

Dont have a foto-hosting account yet. But I'm working on it.

45/56.. I get all twisted up inside, drooling and excited and expect to see a 49/56 rofl2. Then Jimmys balloon goes poof  fart1

I'm sorry for this in advance.. But its gotta come out...its bad.. rofl2
How do you buy a unique SKS carbine????

You sneak up on it.. rofl

Told ya it was horrible.. I feel better now.... thumb1

And pictures.. Yes...yes.. We all like pictures thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 12:24:33 AM »
Welcome aboard BB from Kali. I see your input on GB a lot.

Way to let these Simonovs get under your skin. I've a pile that's self replicating too. I'm not so much of a collector, as I am a sucker for a deal. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
Now what the heeel is a 45/56????  Just when I thought I was getting this SKS stuff down pretty well (except for the Chinese...) now another one pops out of the ethereal ether. This just ain't fair!!

Welcome, Boris from MD via AZ, Germany, CA, NJ....--I know you from a couple of the other boards and have been following your buying binge with great interest; you have nailed a few great deals recently.

One favor, pleeeese do not use the term 45/56.....  It affects us with the SKS disease in ways you cannot imagine.....  bat1 rofl 
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:19 AM »

I'm sorry for this in advance.. But its gotta come out...its bad.. rofl2
How do you buy a unique SKS carbine????

You sneak up on it.. rofl

Told ya it was horrible.. I feel better now.... thumb1

And pictures.. Yes...yes.. We all like pictures thumb1

Apology accepted.  (har har)

Pictures will be incoming. Ive got em posted all over gunboards, but i'll do a family portraits when when I reorganize the safe (hopefully) this weekend.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 04:07:05 AM »
Welcome aboard BB from Kali. I see your input on GB a lot.

Way to let these Simonovs get under your skin. I've a pile that's self replicating too. I'm not so much of a collector, as I am a sucker for a deal. PAX

Under my skin and out from the naugahyde...of my wallet.

Collector, sucker for a good deal, addict...any which way one prefers to rationalize is ok. As long as the stockpiles grow.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 04:20:03 AM »

Welcome, Boris from MD via AZ, Germany, CA, NJ....--I know you from a couple of the other boards and have been following your buying binge with great interest; you have nailed a few great deals recently.

One favor, pleeeese do not use the term 45/56.....  It affects us with the SKS disease in ways you cannot imagine.....  bat1 rofl

Danka.

I was born in Frankurt am Main. My father was a US Army radar tech in Weisbaden from 1970-72.

Most of my SKS "binge" was funded by money I had been saving for a sweet Gibson Jumbo with a mustache sadle and mother-of-pearl fret board inlays.

So, expect to see a much slower rate of accumulation in 2017.

w/r/t Type 45/56...I make no promises, but will do what I can.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
Danka.

I was born in Frankurt am Main. My father was a US Army radar tech in Weisbaden from 1970-72.

Пожалуйста.  Your dad and I worked in the same church, but sat in different pews; I was a Russian linguist stationed at Field Station Augsburg from 1978-1981.  Small world.  8)

Careful when ol' Greasemonkey starts whispering in your ear... :o  Nothing is sacred to the man...LOL!!  rofl2 You may end up trying to sell a kidney to find a way to finance the next deal---Oh no, that's someone else who's selling a kidney...  wink1 rofl
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin