Author Topic: SVT40 SOON TO BE MINE...now with a pict  (Read 5340 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
SVT40 SOON TO BE MINE...now with a pict
« on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »
Hi C&R Junkies,

One of my long time associates accepted my trade offer for his SVT, and it is now in DROS (Kali jail). It's a '41 Tula with a baggie of spares (I hope they're spares). Plumb bolt, nice AVT wood, rifling looks good (but dirty).

Traded 2 early SKS, and 2 '41 Mosins. I'm stoked. I never could afford to get one at todays prices, but my trade fodder equals what he was asking.

PAX

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:46:16 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Luke2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: SVT40 SOON TO BE MINE
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
Congrats and enjoy!  thumb1
Canadian...eh!

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: SVT40 SOON TO BE MINE...now with a pict
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:59:55 PM »
Sorry guys. I took a few pictures this morning, but photobucket is giving me grief, so that's all I got time for. PAX

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:55:54 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »
nice, have fun with it and thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »
Nice  thumb1 Looks like a good solid refurbed SVT-40 from the former USSR. Tula?

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
Nice  thumb1 Looks like a good solid refurbed SVT-40 from the former USSR. Tula?

Thanks guys,

I'd been going over the GB tutorial and I noticed a few things while comparing it to the data. I was able to get a break in my kitchen remodel, actually I stopped because I couldn't wait any longer, and the boss was gone. I took the bolt & trigger group out, so I could drool over everything, and run some Butches Bore Shine through the barrel.

All the groups were pretty clean, but the bore could use some love. Quickie clean job, but it's still pretty dark, lands look sharp, grooves still have crap in them. I just wanted to do what I could and get some oil in there. I'm pretty sure it's gonna shoot good regardless.

Everything EPd has the same number, including the brake, but not the mag. No rails, I guess I jumped the gun when I got a scope mount I stumbled across, now I'll have to find another rifle that fits it .

'41 Tula star refurb. Haven't looked everywhere for the marks, but the most obvious are:
Plumb bolt forced matched carrier & bolt
TG (narrow) & receiver numbers match, but it has 2 letters "CM" preceding the serial, where the chart only shows 1 letter
Safety has a hole
Matching stock struck horizontally
Mag epd not matching, it's mag #3 with the original serial stamped out, has a single lug, not quite round pin hole, either an SVT38 or early SVT40
Thicker AVT furniture and 7 hole HG
2 port brake
Correct canvas and leather sling with buckles and dog collar attached at butt, 2 piece front sling swivel

I got baggie of goodies, the fella said there was a gas adjusting tool included, but there wasn't. Haven't dumped that stuff out and inventoried it, but in a quick once over I saw 3 hammer types, 4 triggers, 2 FPs, couple pistons, sight ladders, and mess of screws, springs and trigger guts. Plan on getting the stainless parts now that it's in my hot little hands (or maybe it has then already).

Also ran across 1K Russian X54 at '90s prices, 280 rounds of Romy, and I've already been sitting on a ton of it for the Mosins.

The SVT40 is a pretty cool machine thing. I hope it doesn't send me down the rabbit hole.

Just for giggles, I drug out my FN49 to handle them side by side. SERIOUS main battle rifles. They're both too cool, I feel fortunate to have been able to acquire them. I guess I have to get a Garand now  8) PAX
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:12:20 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
Nice thumb1

As I understand on the muzzle brake, since you say you got both, the 2 vs. 6 port, the 6 port was dropped sometime in '42 in favor of the 2 port. But, true to a refurb, neither can be deemed incorrect because either was installed during refurb. :)

I guess I have to get a Garand now  8) PAX
Don't sell yourself short on just a Garand.... :)
There is the Johnson, a BM-59, CETME, MAS 49/56, Hakim, AG-42, M-14, throw in a L1A1 for giggles  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »
Don't forget the Germans GM!!

G43, M1 Garand, SVT-38/SVT-40 are the big three collectable WWII Battle Rifles.  Most collectors would give you a deer in headlights gaze if you asked about the Johnson.  Heck some of the others might not even be considered main battle rifles anyhow! chuckles1

Pax, I think you *need* a Garand!   They are intricate yet beautiful firearms, though I'm pretty partial to the SAFN49 myself.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
Don't forget the Germans GM!!

G43, M1 Garand, SVT-38/SVT-40 are the big three collectable WWII Battle Rifles.  Most collectors would give you a deer in headlights gaze if you asked about the Johnson.  Heck some of the others might not even be considered main battle rifles anyhow! chuckles1

A battle rifle is a military service rifle that fires a full-power rifle cartridge, such as 7.62×51mm NATO(M-14, BM-59, CETME, IMBEL), 7.62×54mmR(SVT,AVT), 7.92x57mm Mauser (G43, Hakim), .303 British(B.A.R.), or .30-06 Springfield(Garand, B.A.R.). Compared to assault rifles and their intermediate cartridges, the higher-caliber rounds provide greater power and range, though they have greater weight and produce stronger recoil, making them less than ideal for fully automatic fire.

And...the Germans cost major $$ and if you break it  :o cry1

The Hakim in my opinion classifies.. as does the Mas. The Hakim is like shooting a 8x57mm recoiless railroad tie, both are based off the SKS action as well. The MAS..is the sleeper, while it is roughly the size and weight of an SKS, the 7.5 French is pretty much equal to the 7.62 Nato round.

And say the M-14 is not a battle rifle  :o  blasphemy  rofl2 Look at the bottom photo....it's by all rights a updated Garand, Garand ver 2.0 in 7.62 NATO, like the Beretta BM-59, only military had select fire added in.

And if a "collector glazes over" and doesn't know what a M1941 Johnson is, he needs to find a new hobby.... rofl2

And then the yawn1 Garand chuckles1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
Thanks guys. I stopped by my buddies place that I got the SVT from, to see if we could find the gas tool for it. I happened to mention that I prolly need to get a Garand, but I can't afford the entrance fee. He said he's got a Winchester M1. I through out 3 SKSs to trade. He's pondering on it. It's CMPs top grade, whatever that might be, but he got it a long time ago, $200 bucks I think he said...it was that long ago. I'm trying not to be too hopeful, but ...PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
I would like to be the first to thank Jimmy for showing off his Johnson.  rofl2

I glazed, I googled, I coveted, I looked on GB and  :o

Jeez Louise. At least you can choose between two different ways to spend $53k, and remind me never to complain about the price of SKS parts.

And PAX, which three SKSs are on the chopping block for the Garand?

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 01:01:04 AM »
I got shot down on the Garand...sorta...he said he would leave a note on it, that I would have the first right of refusal, when he makes that final range trip  :(. So I'm saving my pennies. I'll trip over one. Did you see my BP score JH? PAX

I would like to be the first to thank Jimmy for showing off his Johnson.  rofl2

I glazed, I googled, I coveted, I looked on GB and  :o

Jeez Louise. At least you can choose between two different ways to spend $53k, and remind me never to complain about the price of SKS parts.

And PAX, which three SKSs are on the chopping block for the Garand?
  You need a crew  

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
I did see that, that looks like a hoot actually. Was that the consolation prize vs the Garand? :)

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »
I did see that, that looks like a hoot actually. Was that the consolation prize vs the Garand? :)

No, just another basket case I stumbled over and saved from someplace else. PAX
  You need a crew