Author Topic: 1951 Tula with golden bayonet  (Read 624 times)

Offline theSKSguy45

• I huff cosmoline recreationally
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
1951 Tula with golden bayonet
« on: December 13, 2023, 08:53:04 PM »
My 1951 Tula. This guy came to me in a tapco stock and missing its bayonet (so technically it?s altered idk if it needs to be in the altered category or if it?s ok to be here). I bought the gold bayonet from the same guy I got my first 1949 from and the stock I sourced from a local store. Bolt and carrier are obviously scrubbed but everything else looks legit. I?ve heard that golden bayonets are original but personally I?m skeptical, any thoughts?

My bank account is in a permanent state of emergency thanks to this site

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: 1951 Tula with golden bayonet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 09:03:55 PM »
Very nice rifle and photo layout. I've got my 3rd Russian inbound and thought I see what's been currently posted. The other 2 I got within months of each other 10 years ago. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 10:21:12 PM »
Nice catch.

Looks possibly unissued, straight to long term storage. Does it have crossbolt stamps on both sides of the stock?

From the evidence I've seen, the gold bayonet is not an original trait. It is likely a, quick drying, yellow chromate conversion coating (dip) applied during long term storage as corrosion prevention.

Early Chinese production was a defacto third soviet production line-- soviet made machinery and under the direct supervision of soviet technical advisors.  For all intents and purposes the early chinese sks is an exact copy of the  final soviet sks design-- and there is no evidence of the golden bayonets anywhere among the contemporaneous Chinese guns. Nor for that matter is it seen on the contemporaneous Romanian guns.

Offline theSKSguy45

• I huff cosmoline recreationally
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 04:48:26 PM »
Stock maybe but the rifle I have no idea. No stamps on the other side. I’m thinking of sending one to a lab to get the substance on it identified. Nobody knows for sure what it is to my knowledge.
My bank account is in a permanent state of emergency thanks to this site

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 05:00:46 PM »
Nice rifle & nice work getting her back to original form. I like it  thumb1

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 10:06:15 PM »
Stock maybe but the rifle I have no idea. No stamps on the other side. I’m thinking of sending one to a lab to get the substance on it identified. Nobody knows for sure what it is to my knowledge.

Yellow/Zinc chromate conversion is a pretty common and easily found on many tools an parts at any hardware story. I would be surprised if the gold coating weren't yellow chromate.

Conversion coating is easy enough to do in your own garage workshop.