Author Topic: Handguard/Ferrule Removal/Re-installation Instructions  (Read 9784 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Handguard/Ferrule Removal/Re-installation Instructions
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »
REMOVAL

Tools Suggested:
  • Small hammer
  • Center punch
  • 3/32 Drift punch
  • 3/32 Drill bit and drill
  • Vice/Workbench
General info:
These handguard ferrules are held in place via a countersunk rivet, not actually a "pin".  It has a countersunk flat head on one side, is peened over and into the countersunk depression on the opposite side and then filed/ground flush to the ferrule. So it actually has a larger size head on both sides compared to the smaller diameter of the shaft running through the gastube itself.  All you have to do is remove A LITTLE of the material on one side with a 3/32 drill bit for it to tap right on out with a 3/32 drift punch. If you dont have a 3/32 drift pinch in your tool arsenal.  I highly recommend getting one as its one of the most common.

Step #1
Locate 1 side of the rivet that the rounded head is most easily visible and center punch it.  Take great care to be as dead center as possible!

Step #2
Clamp the end of the tube/ferrule snugly in a vice taking care not to damage any part of the assembly and use the 3/32 drill bit to LIGHTLY drill into the head of the rivet. It is very important not to over-drill the head of the rivet as you can damage the ferrule.  A small ring of material on the rivet head will still be present around the shallow hole you drilled.  This is exactly what you want because the bit will NOT have damaged the countersunk hole of the ferrule. When you tap out the rivet, a small ring of rivet material will fold back and/or be sliced off as you drift the rivet out.

Step #3
Use the 3/32 drift punch to drift out the rivet.  I like to hold the handguard and punch in my left hand and hold it on top of the vice jaws with the jaws opened slightly to allow the rivet to pass underneath. You may find a "third' hand to be helpful here.  You can also simply place it over a piece of scrap wood with a relief hole drilled near the edge for the rivet to pass through.

Note the small sliver of the material left on the rivet head that was just sliced off with the very first tap of the punch.  You can see it sitting there next to the hole/punch.

Note how under the rivet head the ferrule hole is countersunk.  This is what you are taking great care to NOT damage OR widen.

Here is a pic of the rivet shown having part of the ring sliced off during removal, and the rest just folded back while drifting out the rivet.

Step #4
Remove the ferrule.  I use the end of a file to push it off from the underside of the assembly.  Note how nasty this Sino-Banian is!   

Step #5
Sit back and shot-gun a beer as you have just successfully removed your ferrule/handguard without damaging a vital and costly component of your SKS rifle!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:16:18 AM by running-man »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Handguard/Ferrule Removal/Re-installation Instructions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
INSTALLATION

If you have a new rivet, the re-installation of your handguard is very simple. Board member woodwzrd1010 has them for sale (very cheap) in the classifieds or you can PM him direct.

Tools recommended:
  • Hammer
  • Large flat punch (roughly twice the head diameter of rivet)
  • Sturdy 90 degree work surface.
Step #1
Re-install your handguard and ferrule and insert the new rivet through the hole.

Step #2
Take the unit to a sturdy 90 degree surface placing the head of the rivet downward and the side to be swage/peen upward.

Step #3
Strike the punch downward with medium sized blows with the hammer to swage/peen the rivet into the countersunk area of the ferrule.

Step#4
File down both sides of the rivet flush to the ferrule. Do a little cold-blue and your done.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:16:48 AM by running-man »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.