Author Topic: Century VZ2008 from PSA  (Read 13705 times)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Century VZ2008 from PSA
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »
I was on the fence as I watched several batches of these come and go at PSA, I read hours and hours of reviews on nearly every source I could find online. Towards the end of September, I put one in my cart and got in contact with my FFL friend back home, and was all set up to place an order. Placed the order on 9/30, and the next day PSA was "Out of Stock". I got shipping notification on 10/7, and it arrived at my FFL on 10/10. I picked it up from him the next weekend, 10xxx serial number, and overall I am very pleased with it, fit, finish, etc... No sticky take down pins, no grit in the folder, no canted sights. The magazine that was loose in the box showed a little wear, but the rest were unissued, and all fit snug. The only thing that seemed odd is it appeared to be fired. I ran a couple patches down the bore and sure enough powder residue. Wiped out the receiver, bolt, etc and more residue. Has anyone else here who has ordered one of these recently showed up this way? Phosphorus32? I believe you ordered one recently.
As I wait to take it out and shoot it this weekend, I have disassembled and assembled this thing about a dozen times. So far I am really impressed with it, and can't wait to put some rounds down the tube.
I haven't taken any pictures, since I am sure you all have seen them around.
Brian

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Century VZ2008 from PSA
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Im wondering if it was simply from being test fired after assembly. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
Im wondering if it was simply from being test fired after assembly.
I was thinking that too, but I bought a storage/carry case from a member on another board, and he said his showed up clean, but bone dry. Mine was bone dry, just appeared to be fired. Not much a couple patches and hoppes down the bore and she was good to go. Not really a big deal, I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.
I also picked up one of these.
https://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=23263
And some extra mags
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448301875

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Awesome Brian!  I have been sorely tempted to get a VZ2008 before the supply dries up, but the cash and wifey's approval are lacking. 

Like with the CZ-82s which were plentiful back in 2013 @ $249.99 with two magazines and accessories but then suddenly dried up, I'm likely going to wait too long on this one and be on the outside looking in.   I was a bit bummed that the recent offerings are minus the bayonet. 

Post up some pictures when you get a chance if you can!  Maybe I can use them to help sway the wifey in my direction!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
Yes, my pre-firing patches came out slightly dirty too. I've been very happy with mine overall. I got the same muzzle brake that you ordered and I like it. Minimal muzzle climb and easy on the shoulder, even with that rather minimal folding stock. My wife, step-son and step-daughter have fired and enjoyed it too.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
Awesome Brian!  I have been sorely tempted to get a VZ2008 before the supply dries up, but the cash and wifey's approval are lacking. 

Like with the CZ-82s which were plentiful back in 2013 @ $249.99 with two magazines and accessories but then suddenly dried up, I'm likely going to wait too long on this one and be on the outside looking in.   I was a bit bummed that the recent offerings are minus the bayonet. 

Post up some pictures when you get a chance if you can!  Maybe I can use them to help sway the wifey in my direction!

RM, I was the same way, and have been watching them on sale since June, and finally decided to pull the trigger after I sold a couple of my RTI sks's locally. After I got mine they came back for sale without the bayonet, which isn't a deal breaker for me. It is cool, but still can be found all over the auction sites. I'll get some pictures up, and a range report this weekend.

Yes, my pre-firing patches came out slightly dirty too. I've been very happy with mine overall. I got the same muzzle brake that you ordered and I like it. Minimal muzzle climb and easy on the shoulder, even with that rather minimal folding stock. My wife, step-son and step-daughter have fired and enjoyed it too.
P32, thanks for the feedback, I was just fearful that maybe I got a returned one, but with the 10XXX serial # I think I am good. Did yours come with a leather sling or canvas? Mine came with what appears to be an AMD65 Sling.
Like this:

Instead of the canvas I have seen others receive.
Like this:

Brian

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
I would have bought one long ago if they would have shipped the mags with it to my state... But they won't.  So I haven't bought one and probably won't.  Good deal though.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »
I didn't notice muzzle climb with my D-Techniks when compared to a regular Ak, on the Vz2008, after having the full stocked Vz 58, the folder had to go. There is a  bit of difference between the two when shouldered. The phenolic stock looks beefy and weighty, but, it's very light and mostly hollow.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
I've been looking around for the full stock in beaver barf, just to try, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Some of those wood sets look pretty nice also, but not $200+ nice.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
200?  :o   If you go Ironwood stocks yea, about 220 something last I looked. I've seen complete wood stock sets between 90 and 170, fleabay has them listed, usually you can find the original Czech wood.

The beaver barf butt stock complete ready to install from Czechpoint is 130, you can go through Numrich and score all the parts for a fixed barf butt stock for maybe 70 bucks, give or take a few dollars.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »
Did yours come with a leather sling or canvas? Mine came with what appears to be an AMD65 Sling.

Like this:

Brian
Mine came with a like-new/unissued canvas sling, 5 mags, the 4-pocket mag pouch and bayonet with scabbard.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
200?  :o   If you go Ironwood stocks yea, about 220 something last I looked. I've seen complete wood stock sets between 90 and 170, fleabay has them listed, usually you can find the original Czech wood.

The beaver barf butt stock complete ready to install from Czechpoint is 130, you can go through Numrich and score all the parts for a fixed barf butt stock for maybe 70 bucks, give or take a few dollars.
I have seen some decent deals on fleabay on the beaver barf stocks, but they didn't have any of the hardware. I didn't even think to look at Numrich for the hardware.  banghead1
I am sure others will show up. I have even seen some full parts kits with the full stock go for reasonable prices on gb, but it was tough to bid we I haven't even shot it yet.
Thanks for the info.
Brian

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »
Mine came with a like-new/unissued canvas sling, 5 mags, the 4-pocket mag pouch and bayonet with scabbard.
Interesting, mine is like-new/unissued leather sling (AMD65?), 1 mag loose in the box that shows some wear, 4 mags in the mag pouch that look unissued. The mag pouch looks like-new/unissued with some mold or something.  ??? Bayonet and scabbard look new/unissued, and a cleaning kit.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
Interesting, mine is like-new/unissued leather sling (AMD65?), 1 mag loose in the box that shows some wear, 4 mags in the mag pouch that look unissued. The mag pouch looks like-new/unissued with some mold or something.  ??? Bayonet and scabbard look new/unissued, and a cleaning kit.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the cleaning kit.  My mag pouch was "broken in"  but still in good shape.  The bayonet was like new.  Sounds like the accessories are randomly chosen.  The magazines were all used in good to excellent condition. That reminds me that I only took a couple to the range, so I need to function test the other three since some people have had trouble with the odd magazine.  You can probably come out even or slightly ahead selling off the AMD sling and buying the VZ appropriate canvas sling which are still available at some of the milsurp parts vendors.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
My ole man (slumberingbear) recently bought one.  Very happy with it.   thumb1

The bayo looked used but in great condition while the sling was new new... and def a VZ sling.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
I got to do some shooting yesterday, and took the VZ2008 out for her first spin. I put 150 rounds through her without any hiccups, and got to say she is really a nice shooter. I don't have any paper to show since we only shot gongs, bowling pins and pumpkins, but she was dead on out of the box. I didn't want to be bothered so I left my phone in the truck and only have a couple pictures one of the other guys took of the guns laid out on the table before hand. I took my VZ2008, Russian "sneak" SKS, and my AK. The rest of the plastic crap is theirs.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it and it ran well for you  :) 

I'm really pleased with mine and haven't had any problems with it...other than a self induced one (flipped the safety lever the wrong way  ???  Note to self: it is not full auto but there is an empty notch in the rotation of the safety lever that is essentially another "safe" setting).

You definitely have the nicest looking firearms on the table.  I have my black guns too but there's nothing like wood (or beaver barf) furniture for looks.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
That Russian Sneak is a lady amongst little prepubescent girls laying on that table!  clap1

Good deal Brian!  You guys are killing me with all this VZ2008 talk!  I don't need one at all, but man I'd sure like one!

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
That Russian Sneak is a lady amongst little prepubescent girls laying on that table!  clap1

Good deal Brian!  You guys are killing me with all this VZ2008 talk!  I don't need one at all, but man I'd sure like one!

YOU need at least one!!! rofl

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it and it ran well for you  :) 

I'm really pleased with mine and haven't had any problems with it...other than a self induced one (flipped the safety lever the wrong way  ???  Note to self: it is not full auto but there is an empty notch in the rotation of the safety lever that is essentially another "safe" setting).

You definitely have the nicest looking firearms on the table.  I have my black guns too but there's nothing like wood (or beaver barf) furniture for looks.
Thanks P32, I didn't notice that on my safety, but I will check it out. I was surprised how much louder the VZ2008 was compared to my sks and ak shooting the same round.

RM- Both of the other guys that shot my VZ2008 yesterday now want one. I have been so tempted to order another, just because I doubt they will ever be this cheap again. The best part about yesterday was my friends $2k custom built AR-15 wouldn't run through a 20 round mag without issues.  :o I ran 5 30 round mags through my VZ2008, 5 30 round mags through my WASR-10, and 10 stripper clips through my Russian sneak without even one issue on either of them.  thumb1