Author Topic: My SKS project  (Read 3818 times)

Offline pk47tech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
My SKS project
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:18 PM »
Here's my current project.  It's a Norinco, and I just installed the Tapco T-6 stock I got tonight.  It had an old ATI folder on it before that was too wobbly for my taste.

I mentioned the basics in my introduction thread, but this has several Murray parts in the trigger group, his firing pin, a cheese grater for cooling, and the Murray optical mount with an Ultradot Pan AV red dot.  I've replaced many of the springs as well.

I still plan on the drop free bolt mod, and I think I'm going to go with the new Archangel magazines with the AK-style release.  I did some mag change drills after putting it together and it's quick using the AK tactical change method.  Archangel is supposed to make 20 round versions of these later this year and I'll be getting those (this one is a 35 round magazine).  These Archangel mags also load easily with stripper clips when in the gun unlike the Tapco mags you have to modify.

This is becoming a nice tactical weapon.  A bit heavy, but I like the solid feel.

This is the rifle with the ATI folder.  I like some aspects of this stock, but the holes in the main stock are too large for the plastic pin so you get the wobble.  Short of filling and redrilling the holes you won't get rid of it.  It's also a long stock but since it folds you can do that for some tactical situations.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: My SKS project
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »
You are off to a good start, a number of things have to be done to those ATI folders to get them to almost hold still. The best thing is to get the kit to make it non folding. At least then, it is a very lightweight stock. :)

Your bayonet is on upside down, and you should get a cleaning rod in to fill that void between it and the barrel...in my opinion anyway.  On the bayo, simply take out the screw, pull the bayonet out of the handle, flip it 180 degrees and put it back into the handle and reinstall. The flat side should be down when closed.

I certainly look forward to those 20rd Archangels. I like the concept, and dislike the thought of anything larger...I hope that happens sooner than later.

EDIT: BTW, I don't think I have seen anyone with the Tapco with the spike, I dig that. I gouged out a groove on an ATI Strikeforce, I like the M4 with a spike look.  thumb1
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:08:00 PM by Justin Hell »

Offline pk47tech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »
Thanks.  I thought the flat side of the bayonet was to be flat against the stock (on the ATI stock, the cutout is flat bottomed), so that's good information.  Easy to reverse.

I like the spike too.  It's clean.  The Tapcos come in 3 types - plain, cutout for blade and cutout for spike.  This one is obviously the spike version.

I have a cleaning rod but while I'm working on this I leave it off.

I wish folders would be made so they are secure when open.  It can't be that hard to construct a decent locking device.  The ATI design isn't bad, just not toleranced right.

I agree - I can't wait for those 20 rnd Archangels.  I may put the G5 SKS mag adapter on this and remove the duckbills, and Archangels with the G5 would be a nice mod.

Now I need to look for a decent tactical rifle class later this year to have some fun with it.  I have a good AR and like it, but the SKS is my favorite.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
Lookin good!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 01:19:52 AM »
You are off to a good start, a number of things have to be done to those ATI folders to get them to almost hold still. The best thing is to get the kit to make it non folding. At least then, it is a very lightweight stock. :)

Your bayonet is on upside down, and you should get a cleaning rod in to fill that void between it and the barrel...in my opinion anyway.  On the bayo, simply take out the screw, pull the bayonet out of the handle, flip it 180 degrees and put it back into the handle and reinstall. The flat side should be down when closed.

I certainly look forward to those 20rd Archangels. I like the concept, and dislike the thought of anything larger...I hope that happens sooner than later.

EDIT: BTW, I don't think I have seen anyone with the Tapco with the spike, I dig that. I gouged out a groove on an ATI Strikeforce, I like the M4 with a spike look.  thumb1

Yes you're on a roll. I got one of the fixed folder mounts kits, but haven't found a commercial tube for the  right price yet

Here's a T6 cut for spike, and a Para with no cut JH. I have another rifle in a black T6 cut for blade. PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798