Author Topic: Sad news about xxxSKS aka Joe  (Read 18160 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: News about xxxSKS aka Joe
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »
I'm letting you all know....I shared his passing over "there". He was respected by many....even if some couldn't see him for the amazing walking data bank that he was..... :(

You're a good man Pat.  A very good man.   clap1

I remember when he got banned at SKSBoards and earned his battlefield commission. He was pissed.  His signature on gunboards is still a tad critical of them I believe.

Time heals all wounds though. Hopefully they have the grace to at least acknowledge how special he was to the entire collecting community. There was nobody as sharp, dedicated, and up to date on the Commercial Chinese guns as he was.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:35:35 AM by running-man »

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 09:42:10 PM »
I had just shipped him that Yugo sniper stock that he wanted from me.....and I didn't hear from him when it arrived.....He was such a genuine nice guy.....wish I could have met him in person.....so much stinking knowledge.....used to bust my balls every time I lucked into a great deal on a commercial sks....lol.  Damn.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 09:49:55 PM »
I just figured he was taking a break... Had alot going on or something.  Being so instrumental in the chinese sks guide, I have talked to him on the phone, text etc.....  Always dedicated to getting things RIGHT.  Thats what I admired of him, and a trait I liked. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
I just figured he was taking a break... Had alot going on or something.  Being so instrumental in the chinese sks guide, I have talked to him on the phone, text etc.....  Always dedicated to getting things RIGHT.  Thats what I admired of him, and a trait I liked.

thumb1 thumb1 thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Sad news about xxxSKS aka Joe
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »
Split this thread apart from the original SKS D post and moved it to its new home on the wall of honor.    (That's going to be a bitter sweet gun when you receive it Pat).

If anyone has any memories of Joe you might want to share, please continue posting them in this thread.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 11:35:51 PM »
I remember..... 

When I was about to start the chinese sks guide, I knew right off the bat I was not going to be able to do the commercial section.... Not my area of expertise.  At the time, there was only ONE man for the job.....  Joe.   I messaged him asking if he wanted to lay it all out in one place for everyone to reference.  His reply was simple....   "I'm in"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:03:37 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 06:08:48 AM »
What a sad day.  The SKS community has lost the standard bearer and one hell of a good guy.  Truly a very deep loss.  Thoughts and prayers to Joe's family... 
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
It is not often that someone can be unchallenged as 'The Best' in the field of knowledge, research and dedication.  This is a case where there is no dispute.  No one else was even close. We have lost a great man.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 09:04:10 AM »
Very sad news! Rest in Peace Joe!

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 09:34:40 AM »
sad news, prayers sent for him and family.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
Damn.

Joe was a great guy and really helped me out a number of times with my bubbaisms. I had wondered if something was up as when he sold me his Aussie thumbhole he mentioned it was time to get out...and he was selling off quite a bit of his collection over the last year or so of excess parts... He was on the fence about hooking me up with his last Capco hunter package last year, I was going to message him a couple weeks ago about it, and I had noticed he wasn't around for a couple weeks previous...I too just thought he may be taking a break. I am very saddened by his loss.

My favorite gun is mostly parts I received from him...and it is going to stay that way.
RIP Joe
tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1
 shooting1      shooting1      shooting1      shooting1      shooting1      shooting1      shooting1
 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1 tommy1

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2016, 12:20:06 PM »
So very sad to hear of this.  I only knew Joe through his posts, but was always amazed at the level of his expertise.  The SKS family has certainly lost a bright star. 

PS, I'm glad Joe passed the guidon onto you-- Carry it well!!  thumb1
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 06:25:18 AM »
Wow, I stepped away for a few days and I've come back to very sad news. I've had many online "conversations" with Joe Hersey. I'm sitting here holding the last package I received from Joe on Aug 09, 2016. My last contact with him was later in August.

I first "met" Joe on the "other" board, in July, 2012. He was explaining the DIG-imported "D", and that it was an uncommon import stamp. He continued to help me and others through the years with all the many models of the Commercial Chinese SKS. I was able to complete some good commercial specimens with Joe's help.

I don't know what happened, but 55 is way too young to go. If you have the time and care, check out his FB page before it's taken down. He definitely had an interesting life, an avid drag racer, boat racer, welder, all sorts of things.

Rest in Peace, Joe Hersey. aka: XXXSKS

firstchoice

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2016, 04:39:04 AM »
Very sad indeed. He was the resource on the commercial SKS variations and it speaks volumes to his character that he had the foresight to pass his accumulated knowledge and resources to a new standard bearer  thumb1

Much too young to go
RIP xxxSKS Joe

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
Just found out. RIP, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline gregsthe1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
New to the board but a quick search clearly shows what a nice guy and great resource he was as a member here. RIP

Offline AZSKS

• Newber
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »
Joe and I worked together for several years. I got to know him a little.  I sold him a few SKS's during that time, and I got to go shoot with him a few times. Actually got to shoot the ol 666 once.  I don't know if that rifle , or the blanket that he brought along to lay it on was more impressive..  We had a blast.  It seemed he struggled with his health a bit back then, but in typical Joe style, would never make anything of it.  After not seeing him for a few years; I ran into him about a year ago at a local gun show. He had 3 rifles with him and was looking for buyers it seemed.  When I finally looked at him and said "Hey Joe", he asked who I was. He didn't remember me. AT all.    He remembered our company, but had no idea who I was.  I was heart broken as he walked away, acting annoyed that I was bothering him.   He was a good guy and I hope he rests in Peace.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 02:51:40 PM »
Dang it. I never met him in person but knew him from the other board for a few years. He had so much knowledge and seemed to be a great guy. I haven't been there much at all the past year. I don't post anymore but I check in on a few friends I still have there. Yesterday I noticed someone had posted a thread looking for him. That's when I saw that he had passed. Shocked I came here to verify and I am sad that those guys are right, Joe is gone. Not sure if it matters much but they had nice things to say about Joe even though he left that place in favor of this place.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 03:48:40 PM »
The sad part is, he never 'left' one place for another....  he was booted there for simply being on both.