Author Topic: Bubba's work undone.  (Read 1370 times)

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Bubba's work undone.
« on: May 01, 2022, 12:50:40 AM »
Finally found a Bubba'd SKS to go with my wood stock and parts. Overall I'm pleased - the wood matches pretty well considering nothing is original. It's not all matching either - dust cover and trigger group match.  The bolt and bolt carrier match the receiver.  The mag is Russian - since that's what I had. 

Got it in the stock after some sanding, but I'm having two issues though...

1) The wood hand guard does not want to fit the gas tube.  The hand guard appears to be too long, so the pin holes won't line up.  Tapped it some without success.  I hate to start sanding but that appears that is my only choice.....?

2) Cleaning rod won't go in all of the way - binds up at the end. It's free going in until its almost in all the way - then I can't really align it with the barrel.  UPDATE - - wrong cleaning rod and new one was ordered.

post picture

I'll take it apart and clean it up and work on it some more.  But so far it looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 12:04:21 AM by High Noon »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: Trying to undo Bubba's work.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 01:56:17 AM »
Since it's a /26\ 24 mil, it may well have had a Tickler hand guard on it originally. I've not measured them to see if they are exact duplications of the wood hand guards. It may just take some fine tuning to get it to fit.

GG and Echo1 both do a lot of reversing Bubba'd SKS', so they may have some ideas for you on the cleaning rod and the hand guard.

firstchoice

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 06:51:25 AM »
Good work  thumb1

I’ve had to sand the end and bump back the shoulder on non-original handguards before. A Dremel sanding wheel and a file come in handy. If it had not been installed on a rifle before that would be normal. I think they are made just a bit over-sized to permit hand-fitting for a tight fit.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »
Yeah, sometimes you have to sand the ends of the HG to fit into a different gas tube. I just did one, but I did not have to touch the finished part of the HG at the edge of the ferrule, only the part that goes into the ferrule.

Another thing I'll mention, since we are discussing the fitment of HGs, do you guys all know there is usually a 1/16"-1/8" width difference from the front of the HG to the back with the wider part going towards the rear? I mention this for 2 reasons, 1) the depth of the portion of the HG that goes into the ferrules most times is different between the front and the rear as well with the front usually being deeper. 2) If you weren't aware of that and are installing the HG backwards that could be the only reason it is not fitting properly so, check that before sanding on anything.
Wider part always goes to the rear so as to align better with the contour of the stock.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 11:00:03 AM »
I'll b happy to take the T6 stock off your hands if you want to get rid of it.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 12:08:37 PM »
Good work  thumb1

I’ve had to sand the end and bump back the shoulder on non-original handguards before. A Dremel sanding wheel and a file come in handy. If it had not been installed on a rifle before that would be normal. I think they are made just a bit over-sized to permit hand-fitting for a tight fit. 

Thank you.  The handguard appears to have been used before, so I was expecting a perfect fit.  I wanted to do this to learn soooo...here's my chance!  chuckles1

Yeah, sometimes you have to sand the ends of the HG to fit into a different gas tube. I just did one, but I did not have to touch the finished part of the HG at the edge of the ferrule, only the part that goes into the ferrule.

Another thing I'll mention, since we are discussing the fitment of HGs, do you guys all know there is usually a 1/16"-1/8" width difference from the front of the HG to the back with the wider part going towards the rear? I mention this for 2 reasons, 1) the depth of the portion of the HG that goes into the ferrules most times is different between the front and the rear as well with the front usually being deeper. 2) If you weren't aware of that and are installing the HG backwards that could be the only reason it is not fitting properly so, check that before sanding on anything.
Wider part always goes to the rear so as to align better with the contour of the stock.

I didn't know they were different widths - but it does appear that way. The plastic HG is slightly shorter.

Any idea on the cleaning rod?  All my other SKSs it just slides in without issue. 

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 12:20:14 PM »
I'll b happy to take the T6 stock off your hands if you want to get rid of it. 

I have no use for it or the 5 tapco 20rd mags, so it all needs to go.

Will keep you in mind.

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 02:08:13 PM »
I'll take the mags also. How much for the lot?
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 03:46:41 PM »
On the cleaning rod HN, try it with the stock/mags removed and see what happens. It could just be one of those interfering. It does look a little on the heavy/beefy side though so it could be an M38/M44 Mosin cleaning rod.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 04:34:24 PM »
On the cleaning rod HN, try it with the stock/mags removed and see what happens. It could just be one of those interfering. It does look a little on the heavy/beefy side though so it could be an M38/M44 Mosin cleaning rod.

Okay thanks. 

I'll compare it to the others I have and see if they are different.  I'll try one of the others on this SKS too.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 05:33:49 PM »

Good eye GG.   thumb1

The cleaning rod is the issue - it measured 17.25, so 1/4" longer than my others and the end IS longer and wider.  One of my others fits perfect - no issue. 

Bought it online and it's labeled as "SKS" but it must be for something else.  If its for a Mosin, then I'll need to get another since I have no Mosins.  RunningMan has a vast collection right...?  Perhaps he needs one.  :))
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 11:00:34 PM by High Noon »

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »
I'll take the mags also. How much for the lot?

PM sent.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »

Good eye GG.   thumb1

The cleaning rod is the issue - it measured 17.25, so 1/4" longer than my others and the end IS longer and wider.  One of my others fits perfect - no issue. 

Bought it online and it's labeled as "SKS" but it must be for something else.  It's its for a Mosin, then I'll need to get another since I have no Mosins.  RunningMan has a vast collect right...?  Perhaps he needs one.  :))

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, probably an M44 and I think we've seen that issue from online purchases before. An SKS rod should be 17"-17 1/8". There is a guy selling NCStar replacements on GB for $3.99 + shipping, but they are a tad bit on the skinny side so may rattle a bit when in place.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 06:29:23 PM »

Good eye GG.   thumb1

Bought it online and it's labeled as "SKS" but it must be for something else.  It's its for a Mosin, then I'll need to get another since I have no Mosins.  RunningMan has a vast collect right...?  Perhaps he needs one.  :))

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, probably an M44 and I think we've seen that issue from online purchases before. An SKS rod should be 17"-17 1/8". There is a guy selling NCStar replacements on GB for $3.99 + shipping, but they are a tad bit on the skinny side so may rattle a bit when in place.

Thanks.  I'll look around there and see what I can find.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 10:52:29 PM »

Laugh, I get no respect around here!!  :P

Nice save on that 24 mil HN!  RM approves!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »

Laugh, I get no respect around here!!  :P

Nice save on that 24 mil HN!  RM approves!  thumb1

We're going to have to change your initials to RD for Rodney Dangerfield since you get 'No Respect' rofl rofl

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 07:32:33 PM »
The new cleaning rod came and it fits fine.

Finally got the handguard fitted.