Author Topic: Stocks : Pinned vs Threaded. Please Refresh My Memory.  (Read 768 times)

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Stocks : Pinned vs Threaded. Please Refresh My Memory.
« on: March 19, 2022, 11:22:22 PM »
I have a nice stock (and other parts) that I have been kinda looking around for a bubba'd SKS to restore.

Tested the stock on a Chinese SKS with threaded barrel and it just doesn't seem to fit.  The receiver won't go all the way in - appears to be too tight on the sides and in back.  :(  It's the light colored one in the pics.

Am I missing something here?  Dimensions appear to be correct - 9.25" from lug to back of opening...is that right?  Do I have a stock for a pinned barrel?  Don't want to start filing and ruin a stock.  :o

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:49:08 PM by High Noon »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Stocks : Pinned vs Threaded. Please Refresh My Memory.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 11:38:46 PM »
Hey HN, measure from the back of the cross-bolt to the back of the back center of cutout area so, it should measure 9" for threaded barrel and 8 7/8" for pinned. There will also be some variance between an early build stock vs. a late build stock as concerns threaded barrels as well as short collar threaded vs. long collar threaded.
Usually the issue is the fitment of the stock to the action and it doesn't want to sit down onto the cross-bolt. I have had success on fitting a stock to a different threaded barrel action, where the action is tight and doesn't want to fit all the way into the stock(like you mention), by placing the action into place as well as possible (using some kind of pad on the floor or workbench to cushion) drop the butt of the stock down onto the pad while applying pressure to the action toward the stock. If that doesn't work then you may actually need to cut some relief in the stock where ever it is hanging up(most commonly at the front lower ferrule and at the back center where the trigger group latch/spring goes down through.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 12:33:03 AM »
Hey HN, measure from the back of the cross-bolt to the back of the back center of cutout area so, it should measure 9" for threaded barrel and 8 7/8" for pinned. There will also be some variance between an early build stock vs. a late build stock as concerns threaded barrels as well as short collar threaded vs. long collar threaded.
Usually the issue is the fitment of the stock to the action and it doesn't want to sit down onto the cross-bolt. I have had success on fitting a stock to a different threaded barrel action, where the action is tight and doesn't want to fit all the way into the stock(like you mention), by placing the action into place as well as possible (using some kind of pad on the floor or workbench to cushion) drop the butt of the stock down onto the pad while applying pressure to the action toward the stock. If that doesn't work then you may actually need to cut some relief in the stock where ever it is hanging up(most commonly at the front lower ferrule and at the back center where the trigger group latch/spring goes down through.

Hey GG...  Appreciate the info!   :)

I measured it and it's 9".  The trouble is once the receiver is put in until it stops, there is still about 2/8ths gap at the back.  I tried holding the barrel and tapping on the buttstock so it might seat better, but it still doesn't want to fit.

No point in fitting this receiver as I'd buy a bubb'd one or a cracked stocked one (saw a thread about Axis having some) and fit that receiver.   At least I know to make sure I get one with a threaded barrel.  I'd take my time and slowly file the areas where it was tight - as you mentioned.

Thanks again for the help.  thumb1 thumb1 thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »
Anytime HN, glad to help out.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.