Author Topic: Do I do it? (NK63 for Sale...)  (Read 21607 times)

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
Re: Do I do it? (NK63 for Sale...)
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 02:04:58 AM »
Offered a little bit lower than asking and offer was accepted. Working out details now. When I get it I will post more pics.

I may complete it as best I can with Chinese parts. It won't be leaving the collection and I document my stuff pretty well so non-matching parts will remain known. Easier to display and store it as a complete carbine rather than just a barreled receiver.
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 02:16:29 AM »
Or... get a blade cutout version of a jungle stock. Don't have one of those stocks yet in the collection. If I could get one complete with handguard I'd rest the NK in that. If I could find a NK stock I would....
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »
Offered a little bit lower than asking and offer was accepted. Working out details now. When I get it I will post more pics.

I may complete it as best I can with Chinese parts. It won't be leaving the collection and I document my stuff pretty well so non-matching parts will remain known. Easier to display and store it as a complete carbine rather than just a barreled receiver.

My opinion may not be the popular one, but here it is...

While it's one of the desirable versions of SKS, it's lost it's big money value long ago. It's beat up, damaged, and missing half the parts. It will never be all original again. So with that said, if you're going to make it a show piece for your collection, I say refinish the receiver and replace the FSB. You're not going to hurt anything on THAT particular rifle by refinishing it. If it's going to be a mismatched re-creation, it might as well look nice.

Just my 2 cents...

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »

While it's one of the desirable versions of SKS, it's lost it's big money value long ago. It's beat up, damaged, and missing half the parts. It will never be all original again. So with that said, if you're going to make it a show piece for your collection, I say refinish the receiver and replace the FSB. You're not going to hurt anything on THAT particular rifle by refinishing it. If it's going to be a mismatched re-creation, it might as well look nice.

Just my 2 cents...

OK1   I agree.....what could it hurt at that point.....although me personally...I would not re-finish it.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »
With only a hand full in all of Canada....if that. I think you scored huge man, congrats.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:44:58 PM by CARBINE »
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »
63 erra chinese parts and a russian laminate.... Done.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
63 erra chinese parts and a russian laminate.... Done.   

X2 but I wouldn't mess with the front sight
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:05 PM »
What I have to keep remembering with this one....    Fenceline says this is the ONLY one ever seen in Canada.   Think they are rare here....  Try Canada. 

To me, this means must buy regardless to missing parts.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 11:21:37 PM »
What I have to keep remembering with this one....    Fenceline says this is the ONLY one ever seen in Canada.   Think they are rare here....  Try Canada. 

To me, this means must buy regardless to missing parts.

+1

1 available in the country puts it rather high on the rarity index  :o

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »

Just my 2 cents...

Sal, typically I'd agree with you if it was a common variety SKS, but on this one I couldn't disagree more.  Monetary value is driven by the demand of the object, not vice-versa.  I would say it retains substantial value even as just a barreled receiver based upon rarity (possibly the only one in Canada) as well as the history (obviously a VN bringback of some type) - this thing simply oozes history.  To refinish it would be to put the final nail in the coffin, might as well part it out at that point for someone to fully bubba up.  Putting it back together as-is with locally available components (which would be Chinese & Russian up in .ca) seems a very reasonable thing to do.  Will it always be a mixmaster with old rust, pitting, and a damaged front sight hood?  Certainly, but if fenceline uses period correct components, it will take a very experienced SKS collector to nitpick the gun.  Refinish anything and most anyone will be able to look at it and see that it's been worked on.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »
North Korean paratrooper anyone?    :))

::)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 11:39:27 PM »
Yep. Let sleeping dogs lie.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 11:40:57 PM »

Just my 2 cents...

Sal, typically I'd agree with you if it was a common variety SKS, but on this one I couldn't disagree more.  Monetary value is driven by the demand of the object, not vice-versa.  I would say it retains substantial value even as just a barreled receiver based upon rarity (possibly the only one in Canada) as well as the history (obviously a VN bringback of some type) - this thing simply oozes history.  To refinish it would be to put the final nail in the coffin, might as well part it out at that point for someone to fully bubba up.  Putting it back together as-is with locally available components (which would be Chinese & Russian up in .ca) seems a very reasonable thing to do.  Will it always be a mixmaster with old rust, pitting, and a damaged front sight hood?  Certainly, but if fenceline uses period correct components, it will take a very experienced SKS collector to nitpick the gun.  Refinish anything and most anyone will be able to look at it and see that it's been worked on.

Couldn't agree more RM, you nailed it.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 11:46:37 PM »

Just my 2 cents...

Well I said what I did since he said it was going to stay in his collection. At that point, might as well make it nice to look at. It's going to have nice, incorrect, replacement parts. Refinishing the metal shouldn't do any more damage than has already been done. It's still the same receiver. Ruined with rust and corrosion, or ruined with refinishing. The FSB can be repaired and still retained.

If it were an all matching gun in poor shape, then yes, I'd leave it as is. Or if he was going to complete it and resell it, then yes.

Again, just my 2 cents. I don't expect everyone to agree :)

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 11:53:28 PM »
Ruined with rust and corrosion from seeing a hard life is different than some dude jacking it all up with new front sight, when it is one of the only ones to filter in.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 11:56:08 PM »

No worries man.  thumb1 

I think if fenceline were clever (and I know that he is), he'd find himself a well worn Chinese side swivel, blade bayo stock and handguard and incorporate them into this badboy.  Something from a letter gun through 8 mil ./26\ I think.  Or perhaps a solid red shellacked laminate stock off a Russian letter gun.  I think it would look excellent all put together with the rust, patina, and jacked up front sight hood.  You can get the common pristine SKSs everywhere, these special ones, I think you have to take as you can get and leave as they are.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 11:59:16 PM »

No worries man.  thumb1 

I think if fenceline were clever (and I know that he is), he'd find himself a well worn Chinese side swivel, blade bayo stock and handguard and incorporate them into this badboy.  Something from a letter gun through 8 mil ./26\ I think.  Or perhaps a solid red shellacked laminate stock off a Russian letter gun.  I think it would look excellent all put together with the rust, patina, and jacked up front sight hood.  You can get the common pristine SKSs everywhere, these special ones, I think you have to take as you can get and leave as they are.

Probably just the gunsmith in me wanting to fix it, lol.  rofl

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 03:17:44 AM »

No worries man.  thumb1 

If someone down south has a blade bayo side swivel chinese stock meeting this description I'd be all ears in picking it up for the right price. Don't split up a gun, but if you just have the stock and it is decent I'd be game. All out chinese stocks (well 90%) are new looking and spikes. I can get all the other parts like mags and bayo and gas tube parts easy enough.

The Korean parts will be well oiled and left alone. It just needs something to sit in to look complete, not look like something it isn't. It will be a NK barreled receiver wearing Chinese parts.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:23:18 AM by fenceline »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
Or... get a blade cutout version of a jungle stock. Don't have one of those stocks yet in the collection. If I could get one complete with handguard I'd rest the NK in that. If I could find a NK stock I would....

Looks like he only ships to the US, but I could be a go between.
I might be interested in the spare one without the handguard... :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Vintage-SKS-Rifle-Paratrooper-Gun-Stocks-Wood-Jungle-Fiberglass/131979299793?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39107%26meid%3D4bdee8335a4045f2943480e57506d0a2%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D322306464189
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:29:34 AM by Justin Hell »