Author Topic: Updated East German pics  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Updated East German pics
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »
Most of you have seen my other thread on this rifle, so it's already known that the original finish on the stock had been ruined from the rifle being shellaced 30+ years ago. I had very carefully removed all that crap, leaving the undamaged natural wood of the unique East German stock. Over the past few months, I have spent dozens of hours researching the proper coloration of East German stocks (original stocks, not the replacement stocks found on gunbroker). Through trial and error testing different colors and finishes on test wood, I have finally brought my Karabiner-S wood back to it's proper glory.

The second part of this special unveil, is that I also managed to obtain a proper sling for the rifle. Just like the stock color research, I have spent even more time researching the slings used on this carbine. I searched and searched for over a month looking for someone state side who had one, with no luck. I was able to track down a collector in Norway, who collects German weapons. He had one of these slings, and was willing to sell it.

I'm very happy with the end result. I am not sure yet what the future will hold for this rifle, but I know at least it can proudly live on the way it did 51 years ago.

Now for pics!  :)

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Updated East German pics
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »
nice job, does look good.   clap1 that is something to be very proud of, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
Cannon likey!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 03:17:19 PM »
Looks great, that's a winner thumb1

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »
That sling is a nice touch.  Congrats.

I know that it was shellacked when stateside by the former owner, but I think I would have left it alone after stripping.  Too glossy now for a representative of a Vietnam Bringback, IMO.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »
That sling is a nice touch.  Congrats.

I know that it was shellacked when stateside by the former owner, but I think I would have left it alone after stripping.  Too glossy now for a representative of a Vietnam Bringback, IMO.

I'll try to get better pics. It's not glossy at all, as I made it a point to NOT have the finish be glossy. It looks glossy in these pics because I had a light directly above where I was taking the pics.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
You guys find the EG leather ammo pouch yet?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 10:11:37 PM »
Hadn't really been looking...