Author Topic: Original Configuration '49  (Read 16387 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Original Configuration '49
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:08 PM »
What's the motive?   Its a $200 gun in CA

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »
So....a non import Canadian weapon can make it in to the U.S., but a import stamped bound for the U.S. weapon couldn't possibly make it into Canada. think1

No, I believe that certain legally imported into the US guns can legally be imported into Canada as well.  There are guys up there who have nice Yugos and Albys that they specifically bought from the States and imported via a Canadian import company.  The cost was prohibitive though, hundreds of dollars per firearm for this type of service, but to get unobtanium it was worth it to them.  I think LC is saying that Russian SKSs are a dime a dozen up there, there's no reason for them to pay a huge US price premium + import fees for them to get the gun from the US when they are swimming in them already.

We technically can import guns from Canada...it's the same as importing from anyone else in the world that is not proscribed.  The wrinkle is that anything military surplus *must* be C&R, must not be prohibited by the proscribed county rule (the whole must be a C&R and must be in a non proscribed country at least 5 years), and lastly must not be subject to the VRA.  This means no Chinese non C&Rs and no Russian SVDs, SVTs, or SKSs.  We could get all the Mosin Nagants we want from there, but we can [used to be able to] get them straight from Ukraine anyhow so what was the point? :)

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
So....a non import Canadian weapon can make it in to the U.S., but a import stamped bound for the U.S. weapon couldn't possibly make it into Canada. think1

No, I believe that certain legally imported into the US guns can legally be imported into Canada as well.  There are guys up there who have nice Yugos and Albys that they specifically bought from the States and imported via a Canadian import company.  The cost was prohibitive though, hundreds of dollars per firearm for this type of service, but to get unobtanium it was worth it to them.  I think LC is saying that Russian SKSs are a dime a dozen up there, there's no reason for them to pay a huge US price premium + import fees for them to get the gun from the US when they are swimming in them already.

We technically can import guns from Canada...it's the same as importing from anyone else in the world that is not proscribed.  The wrinkle is that anything military surplus *must* be C&R, must not be prohibited by the proscribed county rule (the whole must be a C&R and must be in a non proscribed country at least 5 years), and lastly must not be subject to the VRA.  This means no Chinese non C&Rs and no Russian SVDs, SVTs, or SKSs.  We could get all the Mosin Nagants we want from there, but we can [used to be able to] get them straight from Ukraine anyhow so what was the point? :)

Ok, let me rephrase :) ...  a weapon Century imported can make it in to general U.S. population with no import stamp, but a Century import can't make it in to general Canadian circulation with an import stamp. Especially back in the day, when all these weapons were flowing freely into both countries, given it is an older import stamp.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline bcblaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »
new to forum  found two unrefurbished 1949 spiked sks. both tulas one is still in cosomoline, three digit serial number on one am---5 others four bo--02 any info all numbers matching  thanks

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
new to forum  found two unrefurbished 1949 spiked sks. both tulas one is still in cosomoline, three digit serial number on one am---5 others four bo--02 any info all numbers matching  thanks

post pictures please. Are you in Canada?

Offline bcblaster

• Newber
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 06:44:29 PM »
i'm in canada yes, haven't figured out how to post pics

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 06:50:32 PM »
i'm in canada yes, haven't figured out how to post pics

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures, as personally I haven't seen any non-refurb 1949 Russian SKS's. Thank you.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 07:33:14 PM »
pcke...  Pretty sure he is in Canada.   But still, dont think they have seen any non furbs either.

Blaster...  Post up some pics so we can have a look-see. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bcblaster

• Newber
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
need help posting pictures someone  email me for them

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
need help posting pictures someone  email me for them

See here...  It really is easy.  Just join bucket, upload, copy paste the link when posting.

How to post photos in Board Information - Page 1 of 1

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »
or if you don't mind, you can send photos to my e-mail, I'll then post them here.

pckeorg@yahoo.com

either way would be appreciated.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 08:17:54 PM »
I've seen several extremely nice 49's that have turned up in Canada.  Some are absolute works of art!  I would hesitate to call any of them "non-refurbished"  I personally think that's an impossible statement to prove since nobody knows the provenance of XYZ gun and in the end it's pretty much meaningless regardless.   

Hey Pcke, here's one of my favorites, I wish I could remember who posted it, but it's a nice one (click on images for full size):

Unfortunately, staring you right in the face on that receiver cover is a dreaded DO diamond stamp:

In the end, it doesn't take away from the gun all that much (in my opinion).  That's a $1000 gun in Canada, and would easily push $3k to $5k here.  I was looking the other day on westrifle's webpage.  They have 2 49's for sale @ $650 a pop (both with what looks to me to be refurbished stocks):
http://westrifle.com/wrstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=1991
http://westrifle.com/wrstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=2039

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
Thank you so much! It is indeed a gorgeous 1949!  clap1 And based on the pictures posted, I cannot tell any signs of refurb except for the bayonet screw stake markings ( and the picture is not clear enough ).

And regarding the diamond stamp on receiver cover, one opinion (shared by a few long time SKS collectors) is that it alone is more like an inspection (may be pre-refurb inspection) mark, which may not necessarily mean the rifle has gone through the actual refurb process. Personally I have seen this stamp on several obviously-appear-to-be nonrefurb SKS's, especially on two 1954 Izhevsk's. However, I don't have any documented evidence to tell whether it indicates a specific refurb arsenal. 

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 08:38:31 PM »
and it's interesting, I remembered that when I took a look at westrifle's webpage about two weeks ago, right after I found my 1949, there were still 4 1949's for sale, right now down to 2.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
Im sorry pcke...   but that to me sounds like a bobblehead collection preservation attempt to demote the meaning of a refurb stamp. 

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 09:00:06 PM »
Im sorry pcke...   but that to me sounds like a bobblehead collection preservation attempt to demote the meaning of a refurb stamp.

Thank you, I am still learning.
Please see the post and pictures by member 'SVT-40' through the link below:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=516670

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
Some un-refinished rifles will have the diamond refurb mark on their top covers to show they were inspected even though they did not receive any changes during the process.

Could be, but show me the money... ya know.  To definitively claim " they did not receive any changes during the process" is a load of wonk wonk. Nobody knows what that gun did/didnt receive during its lifetime. 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »
And regarding the diamond stamp on receiver cover, one opinion (shared by a few long time SKS collectors) is that it alone is more like an inspection (may be pre-refurb inspection) mark, which may not necessarily mean the rifle has gone through the actual refurb process. Personally I have seen this stamp on several obviously-appear-to-be nonrefurb SKS's, especially on two 1954 Izhevsk's. However, I don't have any documented evidence to tell whether it indicates a specific refurb arsenal.

Yup I've heard this theory and have to this point, seen absolutely, positively zero evidence to support it beyond a "In my expert opinion (because I am an expert SKS collector and therefore an authority on *all* things SKS) this gun does not look refurbished to me, thus that mark cannot be a refurb mark (besides if it was a refurb mark, my gun would be worth less by $XXX!)"

Something like this w/o evidence (even a tiny shred) to back it up is just internet legend as far as I'm concerned.  What is documented is this (not all seen on SKSs, but many are and others that don't are well researched by Chumak et. al. as you know):

5th GRAU @ Alatyr

75th ABV @ Leningrad

Unknown stamp tentatively called "D0" here at SKS-Files (this one may or may not actually exist, it may be a light strike of any of the others):

Unknown stamp tentatively called "D2" here at SKS-Files:

Unknown stamp tentatively called "D5" here at SKS-Files:

Unknown stamp tentatively called "D6" here at SKS-Files:
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q647/jelucer/survey/russian/refurb_marks/D6_P.jpg~original

Unknown stamp tentatively called "D7" here at SKS-Files:

D ABV Turkestan Military District @ Solnech

No. 7 Leningrad (I have 1945 down as well, I'll need to go back through my notes and see why I put that in there)

I find it a hard pill to swallow that all these others are 'known' refurb facilities yet D0 is magically *not* a refurb facility.  Just my opinion of course, but I think it's well thought out and fairly well grounded when the above is shown.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:24:44 PM by running-man »

Offline wacman85

• Cadet
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »
Yup, I saw that one last night.  Pcke2000 is a member here, hopefully he comes along and posts it up here as well. 

I'd really love to get a good shot of the receiver S/N along with shots of any refurb marks that it may or may not have on the various parts internal and external.   thumb1

has refurb stamp between star and year stamp on dust cover.
I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Offline wacman85

• Cadet
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »
gentleman i just talked to today from canada said ATF will not let any sks rifles into the USA from canada.
I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)