Author Topic: 1967 SKS  (Read 5092 times)

Offline shotout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Re: 1967 SKS
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »
I have noticed on the stripper clip cut on the bolt carrier there are differences. Some are flat on top some have two hash marks. This one has two well defined lead in ramps for the clip.

Offline shotout

• Cadet
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »
What is up with the rear sight ladder that looks like it has a pin placed through it? I guess rather than the ends ending flat they step down and form a tit. I guess this helps placing the rear sight ladder in the groves?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:48:46 AM by shotout »

Offline shotout

• Cadet
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »
Look closely at the above photo. There is something else interesting. Can you find it?

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 04:44:12 PM »
I have looked on the barrel for an importer, but found nothing. The rifle looks like it has not been taken out of the stock. Is there any where else an import might have stamped?

Right side of the receiver, left side of the receiver, right side of the barrel towards the muzzle, bottom of the barrel. I don't think any SKSs are known to have import stamps hidden by the wood like Samco and Navy Arms sometimes did on their other firearms, but I wouldn't say never.

I've seen a Century imported M44 with a small lightly "laser-etched" import stamp on the bottom of the barrel in front of the front sight base. I knew it was marked because the transliterated Cyrillic letters were on the barrel shank, but it took a minute to locate the import mark.

Offline shotout

• Cadet
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »
No import marks on upper barrel area. I checked over and under and around gas tube and bayonet. I spoke to the shop where I got it from and asked if they knew anything about this rifle. This came from a large collection, over 1000, firearms. There were pistols and rifles from everywhere with no imports marks. I saw all this and wondered how it could be. Then I found out he was high up in the US Air Force. I feel confident about the no import marks and original condition of this rifle. The one picture shows two hardness testing dots on the rear sight block. You can see one  dot in the pictures posted of the other 67' in above post. I have seen these testing dots before, but with all the new camera and internet stuff it s fun to and easy to magnify and post.

Offline shotout

• Cadet
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
No import marks on upper barrel area. I checked over and under and around gas tube and bayonet. I spoke to the shop where I got it from and asked if they knew anything about this rifle. This came from a large collection, over 1000, firearms. There were pistols and rifles from everywhere with no imports marks. I saw all this and wondered how it could be. Then I found out he was high up in the US Air Force. I feel confident about the no import marks and original condition of this rifle.

That is an interesting story. If the USAF O-6/7/8/9/10 is deceased, and the collection sold off, perhaps they'd share his name so you could chase down some info. Alternatively, with a collection that size, perhaps they could point you to the auction house with which the family consigned his collection.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 01:24:10 AM »
Good lord!
Some gorgeous rifles pictured in this thread.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »
Nice rifle! And, now I know what to call the teeny-tiny bits of wood poking out around the metal. "Wood fur"!