Author Topic: AR discussion  (Read 12140 times)

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
AR discussion
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:51:45 AM »
Straying off topic again but...

The original AR's are meant to be full auto as well.  I think the real crux of the problem is the fact that AR's aren't having to be modified after the fact by various entities with various levels of skill to do what they should have been able to do from the start... take proper mags.  A few brands are now all US made parts so they may fair better.  Only time will tell.

As for my preference for AR's over AK's it's just a preference.  Everyone is entitled to their own and I fully recognize a great many people have the reverse preference.  That's fine it's what makes it a free county.

I still prefer the SKS to the AK.  Full auto doesn't mean much to me.  I've shot full auto several times and I don't have a personal purpose for it.  I prefer to hit smaller things further away I guess.

I have to admit there was a time in my life where I kind of dismissed and looked down on AR's and any Tupperware firearm.  My first carry gun back in NY was a full sized 1911.  Then I actually got my hands on a friends decent modern AR and I shot a few Glocks.  Within a year I had an AR and I traded my S&W wheel gun in on a Glock 19.  My original opinions were based on ignorance and what i was told from older people who also spoke from ignorance.  When I tried them for myself I liked them both.  Even preferred them for many things. 

That doesn't mean they are the only thing I like.  As I've gotten older, even though my eyes have gotten worse, I prefer to shoot iron sights now more than I ever have.  I'm not saying I am better at it, I just find it more enjoyable at the range than I used to.

It's a whole different feel to me to sit behind my SKS or Garand and send lead down range than to look through the glass of my target rifle.  Which again i still enjoy but in a different non-nostalgic way.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: AR discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »
I'm a financially terminal generalist collector/gun-nut, so I like my AR, and AKs, and SKSs, and Mausers, and Mosins, and... ::) For long range gong-ringing or paper-punching my AR beats my AK, in my hands. The AK has more of a no pretentiousness, feisty street-fighter feel to it, and wood furniture, and some history. My DD M4gery with no actual military-used parts doesn't have much of a historical feel to it, though it's backed up by plenty, but I still admire it's interesting and very different modular design,  tight mil-spec tolerances, and tack-driving ability. Best of all, it makes me feel like a marksman rofl

Limiting the conversation to SKS, AK and AR, the SKS is hard to beat for history, since unlike any AK or AR that I'll ever own (I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to build that type of collection, but love to look at others collections who do), all of my SKSs are in original military configuration.  The milled steel and simplicity of the SKS says robust performance and the wood stock says history, unlike any aluminum and plastic gun ever will  thumb1

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »
The milled steel and simplicity of the SKS says robust performance and the wood stock says history, unlike any aluminum and plastic gun ever will  thumb1

Amen to that!  thumb1 thumb1 thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:55:09 PM »
The milled steel and simplicity of the SKS says robust performance and the wood stock says history, unlike any aluminum and plastic gun ever will  thumb1

Amen to that!  thumb1 thumb1 thumb1

I second that! I like my x39 AR but my Russian SKS is my favorite for all the same reasons...hands down. yahoo1

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:19:48 PM »
I'm a financially terminal generalist collector/gun-nut, so I like my AR, and AKs, and SKSs, and Mausers, and Mosins, and... ::) For long range gong-ringing or paper-punching my AR beats my AK, in my hands. The AK has more of a no pretentiousness, feisty street-fighter feel to it, and wood furniture, and some history. My DD M4gery with no actual military-used parts doesn't have much of a historical feel to it, though it's backed up by plenty, but I still admire it's interesting and very different modular design,  tight mil-spec tolerances, and tack-driving ability. Best of all, it makes me feel like a marksman rofl

Limiting the conversation to SKS, AK and AR, the SKS is hard to beat for history, since unlike any AK or AR that I'll ever own (I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to build that type of collection, but love to look at others collections who do), all of my SKSs are in original military configuration.  The milled steel and simplicity of the SKS says robust performance and the wood stock says history, unlike any aluminum and plastic gun ever will  thumb1

They make wood for the AR.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/furniture-sets/ar-15-m16-wood-rifle-furniture-sets-prod38906.aspx

whistle12

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:31:47 PM »
No plastic on mine.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »
And if you really wanted an steel and wood AR there's this; http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun/tar-15-log-dt1841-turnbull-mfg/

A bit pricey for my blood though...

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »
No plastic on mine.

'cept for the magazine... rofl2

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »
He got ya there! LOL

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 10:33:40 PM »
Roflmao....   Only one I had at the time.  It has since been replacedced with many metal mags.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline rwhite135

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 11:50:26 PM »
If I do go the AR route, I'm thinking about doing an 11" pistol with the black laminate carbine length handguard and grip from here:

http://woodforar.com/standard-grade-laminate/

They sell direct to customers so I'm thinking about calling to see if I can get that set without the stock.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 11:52:30 PM »
Thats where mine came from...

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
No plastic on mine.

I have a Colt that I'd very much like to do this to.  Did you have to special order the hand guard with the finger grooves? 
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »
They had a booth setup at a big gunshow in PA and my father picked that stock up.    Do they not have the finger groove anymore on their site?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
Heck, I dunno....  Maybe it was a dif vender.  Could have sworn tbat was them.

Offline rwhite135

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 02:06:27 AM »
Brownell's has a different brand that has the finger grooves in the handguard:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/furniture-sets/ar-15-m16-wood-rifle-furniture-sets-prod38906.aspx

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:05 AM »
Still womder who actually makes it though.  Pics look like the same company.

Offline rwhite135

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 07:33:37 AM »
It says Lucid on the Brownell's page but they could have someone else that makes it for them.  Isn't Lucid an optics company?

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 07:48:20 AM »
No matter, that will be my Colt's Christmas present this year.  I'm totally not a plastic kind of girl!!  8)
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin