Author Topic: Requesting input on a "missing Link" 1971 /26\ 1.5M SKS  (Read 528 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Requesting input on a "missing Link" 1971 /26\ 1.5M SKS
« on: April 19, 2023, 06:19:36 PM »
I picked up a slightly bubba'd Type 56 the other day thinking it would make for a nice project to play around with. But, after looking it over, realized it is a 1971 1.5M /26\ "Missing Link" rifle importer is B-West w/micro stamping on left rear of receiver and labeled a Sporter. (not the AK mag kind)
Here's the rub, it has a non-matching mag and the FSB has been crudely neutered. The rest of it is in good shape. Is the value on these any greater than other Type 56s that it is worth replacing the FSB and adding a bayonet and cleaning rod to it, even though the mag is non-matching? I would have to buy the removal and re-installation tools and then find a decent FSB for it so not sure it's worth the time and effort/cost.
I am also trying to remember if any of these were neutered FSBs to begin with? The one in the SKS Guide shows complete with bayonet.

My other option is to move forward with it's bubbafication and simply clean up/blue the existing FSB then turn it into a nice hunting rifle, which is easier and cheaper to do obviously as I already have a Choate stock, a scope, and mount.

Thoughts?

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: Requesting input on a "missing Link" 1971 /26\ 1.5M SKS
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 10:02:16 PM »
If you decide to go with making it original,  I might have a FSB I was going to use and a spike bayonet.  Just me, and not trying to pawn my stuff off, but I always like to return things back to as close to original as I can.  thumb1

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 10:24:34 PM »
I have a FSB removal tool loaned out to a member here if you need one. Probably worth more as a real SKS but will/should move as a sport job too for similar ducats. If you go sport and have access to a Mojo, Williams or Tech sites couldn't hurt. Too bad it's not matching in that serial range. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 11:24:33 PM »
Got to mulling it over and I have 2 other rifles that are better candidates for turning into a hunting rifle so I'm going to restore this one. It is sad that the mag is non-matching because the rest of the rifle is in excellent condition with a really nice stock.

Bruce, I may take you up on the FSB and spike bayonet, I'm going to post in the WTB section on things I need. I got a little carried away these last 2 weeks and went from 1 project (the Paratrooper) to 9 (7 SKSs, 1 Ruger 10/22, and an AR).  :o ??? :))

Wayne, I'll PM you on the removal tool as I was going to ask if anybody had one before I went and bought new.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.