Author Topic: Jianshe AK  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Jianshe AK
« on: March 24, 2023, 10:19:13 PM »
I saw this at the LGS today and decided I couldn’t pass on it, since it’ll likely become an “Assault Weapon” by Washington State RCW legal definition in a few weeks, unless that section gets amended.

Anyhow, happier thoughts, I haven’t paid attention to modern Chinese firearms that are legal to import so I wasn’t even aware of these. Interesting that there’s still firearms production at good old Jianshe in Chongqing.

It’s a cool economical alternative to a Saiga 12ga, and at $378.29 (+ tax, $410.82) I had to satisfy my curiosity. Chrome lined bore, cylinder choke with a key to optionally swap it out for restrictive chokes, 2x5 rd magazines, M-lok handguard and Picatinny top rail. It has a 4 position adjustable gas system from: 0 for closed, 1 for slugs, 1-2 for buck shot, 3 for wide open to accommodate trap loads and short shells. Finish on the bolt etc. seems a tad rough where it doesn’t really matter but nice and smooth where it does, such as the shaft of the bolt that rides insides the bolt carrier, the bolt lugs, extractor, bolt face, rails, chamber and bore.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:37:44 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Re: Jianshe AK
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 10:24:21 PM »
Full model info:

think1 I wonder if the year code is 21?

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 11:18:29 PM »

Looks to be well made  thumb1

My SHTF weapon is a 12 ga.

You hit someone with that you’re gonna need a bucket and a mop ! !

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 11:20:24 AM »
Reviews seemed good and the price beats the Saiga. GB has some good prices, so I think I'll get me one.  Thanks for showing, Jon!! thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:49:09 PM »

Looks to be well made  thumb1

My SHTF weapon is a 12 ga.

You hit someone with that you’re gonna need a bucket and a mop ! !

Yeah, a 12ga at close range definitely packs a wallop with 9 #00 buckshot pellets or a 440gr slug traveling at supersonic velocity.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 10:04:06 PM »
Reviews seemed good and the price beats the Saiga. GB has some good prices, so I think I'll get me one.  Thanks for showing, Jon!! thumb1

You’re welcome Bruce  thumb1 I saw it on the rack in the shop, picked it up and looked it over, then went out in my car to do some quick internet research. I didn’t see any significantly negative points in any reviews. It was too reasonably priced to pass up  :))

I had to look in the manual to figure out the rear sight markings. The 2, 3, 4, and 5 are for 25, 35, 45, and 55 meters (27, 38, 49, and 60 yards), but it didn’t mention the D. By comparing side views, I figured out that the D battle sight is the same as 25m.

The gas adjuster is easy to use without any tools. Each of the four settings are notched and the adjuster is spring loaded so I expect the settings will hold very securely.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 08:54:09 AM »
Got one off of GB. End price was about $15.00 more than yours.  Same model with M-Lok.  Read reviews about the one with AK forearm and Picatinny rails over the cover.  The cover on that one is attached at the sights and swings up, which causes it to flop around on disassembly/cleaning were the comments.  I think I'll like this model better. 
I make my own buck and ball (6 '00' and 1 .61cal ball).  We'll see how they fire. wink1

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 01:04:50 PM »
Got one off of GB. End price was about $15.00 more than yours.  Same model with M-Lok.  Read reviews about the one with AK forearm and Picatinny rails over the cover.  The cover on that one is attached at the sights and swings up, which causes it to flop around on disassembly/cleaning were the comments.  I think I'll like this model better. 
I make my own buck and ball (6 '00' and 1 .61cal ball).  We'll see how they fire. wink1

That’s a heck of a round - hurts just to think about it  clap1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 07:43:25 PM »
Thanks, Papa.  Ends up the grain weight for the ball is at around 3 '00' buck pellets, so I use the data for standard buck loads from an old Lyman manual.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 10:00:09 PM »
Yeah, I saw that funky pivoting cover in the no frills model and was glad that my LGS had the slightly pricier “tactical” T1 model.

I cleaned (not very dirty) and lubed (basically dry out of the box) the gun yesterday. I got out late this afternoon to some BLM land to shoot a few rounds. It didn’t like to cycle target loads, even on setting 3. No surprise there, especially with it being brand new.

Shot at home defense distance (7 yds) to see how it printed and figure out POA/POI at hallway distance. The rear sight has a little dip between the D and 2 (25m) graduations, so I set it there. Still had to aim about 7” high to hit the center of the target with #000 (8 pellet) buckshot, or the 1.25oz (550gr) high velocity slug. Windage was spot on and it was a good tight evenly dispersed pattern at that short distance.

The triple aught cycled great on 3, the stout slug cycled perfect on 1!

I’m happy with it from this brief test. Oh, that slug decimated a 1/2 full 1 gallon water jug. The guts (water) were scattered everywhere. Pretty gruesome  :o rofl

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 10:10:35 PM »

Fantastic results , that’s what I call weapons of mass destruction  clap1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 10:50:25 PM »

Fantastic results , that’s what I call weapons of mass destruction  clap1

rofl 

Thanks!  thumb1

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 12:54:34 AM »
Nasty Hall Way Hunter there Phos   thumb1 Love shotguns and I have a saiga 12. Not my go to home defence gun at all. Guy like me I always have a little trouble attaching a full mag of shotgun shells into the housing and snapping it in to lock. Im sure its just me but never got smooth with it. How is that one for loading and locking in the mags ? Great Price ! I like the idea on some of those that you can load a drum with an entire box of shells for a 25 round mag burst : )

I added a carlson extended mag tube to a 11-87 Premier I no longer use for Duck hunting to ease my complications : ) No gas adjustments , No matter what im shooting, No mag attachment problems. but no fast way to reload also ):

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 06:26:16 AM »
Thanks DC! I won’t be placing this at the top of my home defense list at the moment. The 5 rounders that come with it do lock in quite easily, thanks in part to that mag well. For HD application I’d have a shell chambered in the gun with a full mag attached and the safety engaged. However, I’d much prefer 10 rounds on tap to further decrease the likelihood of the need for a magazine change.

People get 10 rounders to fit, but the ones I found at my LGS are made by Kalashnikov USA and are quite beefy. They’re going to take quite a bit of Dremel work to get them to fit. I see guys on YouTube using 10 round magazines so the brand I got may have been a poor choice, or those gun-tubers already did some fitting on theirs.

I’d also want to put at least a few dozen of my chosen HD rounds through it to increase my familiarity with handling, to wear it in a bit more, and to be 100% certain of the best gas setting for the HD loads. I’m guessing that would be setting 2 with my preferred 9 pellet #00 buckshot rounds, but I’d want to eliminate “guessing” from that statement  ;)  thumb1 With those tasks done, I’d consider putting it next to my nightstand  :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 01:11:47 PM »
Texas Gun Experience and PSA have the JTS proprietary magazines at reasonable (sub $30 prices), if anyone wants ready to go 10 rounders.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 08:27:57 PM »
Shooting Supply out of Louisiana have the 10 rounders for  around 20.00 each.  They are the people I bought mine from.  There are also drum mags on GB that should fit, though I'm not a fan due to their being (IMHO) a bit unwieldy.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 04:43:49 PM »
Shooting Supply out of Louisiana have the 10 rounders for  around 20.00 each.  They are the people I bought mine from.  There are also drum mags on GB that should fit, though I'm not a fan due to their being (IMHO) a bit unwieldy.

Thanks, good to know. I ended up getting 3 x JTS 10 rounders from TX Gun Experience, they were the cheapest for me in WA, given their lower shipping charge.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 04:49:11 PM »
Full model info:

I had missed this gem in my first read of this thread.  Nice 12 ga. P32!

Laugh, you know it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were still making them with year codes at Jianshe.  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 05:00:39 PM »
Full model info:

I had missed this gem in my first read of this thread.  Nice 12 ga. P32!

Laugh, you know it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were still making them with year codes at Jianshe.  thumb1

Thanks!  Agreed :) It would be quite reasonable for this to have been produced in 2021 at good ol' Jianshe.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2023, 05:21:44 PM »
I’m feeling good about the current configuration. The JTS 10 rounder locks in easily, and the fore grip and light increase its home defense utility.

I noticed a guy on YouTube posted a video about Cosmoline in the gas system but when I disassembled mine and cleaned it there was no such issue.