Author Topic: SKS Project  (Read 623 times)

Offline Ronin76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • Non-bitter clinger
SKS Project
« on: December 17, 2022, 10:48:53 PM »
A number of years ago I picked up an SKS basket case for $99 at a gun show. It was a Chinese SKS in a plastic stock missing the magazine, bayonet, and the gas system. Since Bubba has already had his way with it I'm not concerned about keeping it original. I found a 10 round fixed mag at the same gun show but have not found the rest of the missing parts.

I was looking for a fixed 20 round magazine for a long time but I suppose you guys know how rare those have become. One day I saw one on a rifle in the rack of a local gun shop. I offered them $50 and the fixed 10 round mag I had picked up and they were happy with the exchange. I have heard that these can be unreliable but I have been building guns/cars for a long time and believe I'm up to the task.

What I am looking to do is build it up with a wood stock, spike bayonet, and the 20 round magazine.

I have been surprised how difficult it has been finding an original gas tube. I would prefer not to put a cheap, plastic cheese grater handguard /tube on it but that's about all I see available. I suppose I could get one of those and swap the plastic handguard for a wood one - not sure that would work.

I will probably go with a US made gas piston just because those seem to be available.

I'm not really looking for a "nice" stock to put on it, just funtional but not too beat up would be fine.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: SKS Project
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 02:23:24 AM »
Need to know if it's long lug, short lug, or pinned barrel and if you want spike or blade slot cut. I have crappy & decent of all types, but a matching HG might be elusive. I also may have gas tubes, pistons & extensions with spring. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Ronin76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • Non-bitter clinger
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 01:12:19 AM »
Thank you very much Echo1!

I hope you can hold on this until my next trip back to CONUS. I will contact you when I have plans for that and hope to arrange a purchase from you.

This SKS has a threaded/screwed barrel. I can't say if long or short lug. I don't care that the handguard/stock match perfectly or not - close enough will work. I can always strip and stain for a close match if required.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 01:57:51 AM »
Cool. Let me know exactly the parts needed, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798