Author Topic: Kengs import PU style scope mount  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Kengs import PU style scope mount
« on: February 16, 2021, 11:53:53 AM »
I came across a local sale for a Keng's Import Specialty's PU Sniper scope mount SKS. Looks to have everything but the scope, bayonet, and stock. I had gotten one of these years ago from First Choice, but ended up selling it before I moved to Los Angeles.
The guy says he bought it in '93 and promptly removed the mount and base got rid of the scope and replaced the OEM stock with a Combat Exchange Ultra Lite folder. Shot 15 rounds through it, cleaned, then put it away in the safe where it's been since.
In looking at this and trying to determine if the project is worth it and so, I have a few questions.

1. Since I never really got a chance to work with the old one I had and don't remember, how solid of a setup is it? (I am assuming it is fairly solid since it is receiver mounted, but partly wondering in relation to how high it sits.)
2. If I opt to further customize the rifle and go a different route, how much is the mount and base worth?
3. If I decide to restore, how hard do you think it would be to find a clean stock that already has the cutout for the base in it?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
Re: Kengs import PU style scope mount
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 02:07:52 PM »
thats the mount i have , it is based on the Russian Nagant PU Mount , they are solid and well made  , they use a 1 inch tube journal so no joy with use of a 30mm relief but Leupold has a decent scope with a 1 inch tube that has a old military vibe ,its in their  freedom line with firedot illuminated recital for under 3 bills  , the mount comes with built in windage adjustment in the mount itself to expand adjustment in centering the scope with the rifle for zero so you have all the windage within the scope and the mount  , so my suggestion would be to carry zero as far as you can or need with the mount first , then the scopes windage adjustment to get on target , it must work if they were selling them as a package
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:57:34 AM »
Hey GG.

The mount was solid but I always considered it a tad high for my liking. Here's the example I sold you:

At least this one didn't have the huge CHINA billboard embossed on the side like many of the mounts had!

The mount rail is pinned and bolted to the receiver:

The stock as was original to the gun: (Since the mount was installed, anyway. Original, from Kengs.  :) )

Definitely cut to fit:

The stock wasn't serial numbered but it did have the cutout for the spike bayo. I'm not sure if all offerings from Kengs had the bayo cutout, though. Probably a mixed bag like the Navy Arms guns.

Oddly enough, this one had the bayo lug neutered.

I was lucky to get the mount with the barreled receiver and stock.

I'm not sure any of this answers your questions but maybe will help you visualize, anyway.

firstchoice

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 03:05:07 AM by firstchoice »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 09:43:36 AM »
Being in Kansas City, I'd like to find one of the mounts that has the AAI stamp on it. Since they are local to me.

At the least I now have pics back of the old one I bought from you, LOL.

Thanks Craig
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 11:22:45 AM »
Chatted with the guy via text this morning on this SKS. To quote him, "Ugly wood stock is gone as is the sling, never had a bayonet (lug is intact on this one), scope mount base pins were ground down to allow for the installation of the upgrade folding stock"

Basically, in it's present state, it is just a parts gun. I do however have a decent pinned barrel stock to fit it along with a scope and a bayonet.