Author Topic: Late model Chinese stock modification... simple?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Late model Chinese stock modification... simple?
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »
I have a parts rifle built up from a very clean Chinese /26\ barreled action with short bushing barrel, S/N 111xxxxxx range.  It has a NOS Russian 10 rd fixed mag, Yugo trigger group (w/ Murray hammer/sear job), Yugo bolt carrier, and Chinese paratrooper short bayonet... a real Frankenrifle... plus one more thing, a resin hand guard that's been "professionally" aspirated into a cheese-grater style and painted black.

I've been shopping for a Chinese wood stock and (my mistake) ended up with a later model (spike bayonet) commercial-looking stock off of eBay.  I'm pretty sure it was for a pinned barrel and obviously (?) this rifle is not fitting.  The receiver won't clear the cross bolt by about 1/16" with the front of the stock bottomed inside the barrel escutcheon, and the relief cuts on top don't extend enough forward to clear the barrel bushing shoulder.

The question: is modifying this stock simple to do or am I better off looking for one that fits a threaded barrel?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Late model Chinese stock modification... simple?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »
Best bet is to resell that stock(listing it as a pinned barrel stock) then buy another one that is for a threaded lug barrel.

To get that to fit you would need to grind away part of the crossbolt as well as some of the stock to allow for the barrel lug.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 05:23:23 PM »
So that’s what I decided to do.  But I’ve forgotten which stock features to look for when trying to match my short lug barrel.  I figured if it were cut for a blade bayo that would most likely fit a threaded barrel.  Is this always true?

Also, if it has a side sling swivel but spike bayo cut, does that give any indication.?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 06:38:14 PM »
So that’s what I decided to do.  But I’ve forgotten which stock features to look for when trying to match my short lug barrel.  I figured if it were cut for a blade bayo that would most likely fit a threaded barrel.  Is this always true?

Also, if it has a side sling swivel but spike bayo cut, does that give any indication.?

If you have a short lug barrel it will fit any lugged barrel stock, but you will have excess gap if the stock is from a long lug barrel.
As for the stock, others can probably answer better than I, but I will say it depends on the factory and if it was used in a refurbished SKS or not.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
A stock cut for a spike bayonet and inletted for a threaded barrel would be teh perfect fit for a short-lug threaded action like yours.

Any stock cut for a blade bayonet will also be cut for a long-lug threaded barrel.