Author Topic: My new Colt  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
My new Colt
« on: October 24, 2019, 10:08:03 PM »
It's not collector grade. I got it for a good price...imo! It looks better than it did when it arrived.  Numbers match along with  original Colt mag. The recoil spring was jacked up and I opted for a Wolff replacement spring for it. I kept original but not sure it matters as you can see it's slightly booger'd in the photo. Have not shot it, yet!

I love the look of these pistols and eventually I will have a real beauty in this model.

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless/ 1917 Type III/ .32 acp:

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: My new Colt
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 11:20:09 PM »
For a 101 years old... it's sweet looking..  thumb1

beware of the .32acp virus.. :o
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:53:16 AM »
Laff, GM telling someone to "beware" of something in reality is him whispering in someone's ear "my precious!".

I don't know how he does it, but he can make an eskimo buy ice!  The enabler indeed....

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
nice find, numbers matching is a plus. thanks for sharing.  thumb1------------> GM wouldn't do that to an eskimo (got your back buddy and still have that ice you talked me into getting) :)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 10:18:00 AM »
There were a lot of really cool pistol designs at the turn of the last century and that Colt is one of them. I love those original Colt grips  thumb1

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »
nice find, numbers matching is a plus. thanks for sharing.  thumb1------------> GM wouldn't do that to an eskimo (got your back buddy and still have that ice you talked me into getting) :)
Nice handgun!  I am new here and dont know a bunch of you guys so I dont know if I would trust a greasemonkey or a runningman.  No offense guys!   :)

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »

What do you mean?

And no I haven't found my Mauser 1914 yet either!   :):P whistle12

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 09:09:41 PM »
Nice handgun!  I am new here and dont know a bunch of you guys so I dont know if I would trust a greasemonkey or a runningman.  No offense guys!   :)

Geeze man... I wouldn't trust a GM or RM either...  rofl thumb1

What do you mean?
And no I haven't found my Mauser 1914 yet either!   :):P whistle12

What.. do I mean. think1 .....the virus is real... I will eventually get the other two done..

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 07:41:29 AM »
GM, you have some beauties there. I really like the CZ27. Is the bottom one a Browning M1922? If so, how are those? And did I see an FEG (6th down)? Give me a low down on that one also, if I'm correct.

My next .32 will be Mauser 1914, as I previously stated, unless I find a beauty that I just can't pass up.  whistle12

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 11:26:57 AM »
GM, you have some beauties there. I really like the CZ27. Is the bottom one a Browning M1922? If so, how are those? And did I see an FEG (6th down)? Give me a low down on that one also, if I'm correct.

My next .32 will be Mauser 1914, as I previously stated, unless I find a beauty that I just can't pass up.  whistle12

Cz27, Cz70, Vz61, 1914 Mauser :), Spanish Ruby, FEG Femaru, Dreyse, and FN1922..  The Browning had some issues, which i new when I got it, I have yet to try it..

Here is a post from Oct 2017 i did... I deleted it because a "former" member went sideways

I took 4 out.. 4 totally different designs, only 3 passed muster. Took 8 boxes, only blew through 6 boxes, 2 boxes in each, Fiocchi 73 grain, about as close as I could find to the original loading. And nope.. I aint showing paper, I usually shoot pistols at 15yrds..so these groups...suck chuckles1

Just my impressions on shooting each.....left to right in photo.
M1907 Dreyse.... Made roughly in 1910-1912.. it came with no magazine..so I hunted and hunted for a magazine..found 2(little bastards cost more each than a Desert Eagle factory magazine I bought that were 4 times the size), they had to be fitted to the pistol. After many times of chasing snap caps across the floor, I finally got them fitted and feeding/ejecting pretty decent.. This is truly a odd design... three strikes off the bat... it's a very top heavy pistol, the sights are beyond awkward due to the slide design and the grip angle/design is horrid, and small...Cocking it is no easy task either(safety note, being a break open like a S&W LemonSqueezer/Webley, if is loaded and you break it open, it will fire) I will be honest....it took 2 full magazines before I even killed a piece of paper, the sights are not user friendly. I could have thrown the pistol more accurately than I shot with it.  Surprising thing... is it did feed and eject with the commercial made fitted mags, 3 random miss feeds out of 100rds, and they were early on. and cleared up.

Spanish (French) Ruby... Made between 1915-1920  This one, I had my doubts about, due to reported feeding issues, build quality of some, finicky ammo requirments and other issues. In the end... this is one, that I had the best luck with accuracy wise and no issues, it ate up 2 boxes of ammo and might have ate the boxes too. It holds 9+1 rounds. The grip is pretty decent, it's big and thick, think P38 meaty grip, and the pistols extra weight reduces any muzzle flip and what little recoil there is to near zilch. For comparison, the Ruby, well shes a big girl weighing in at 30 ounces, where the Cz27 weighs 23-24, the Dreyse is 25..

Czech Cz27, Fairly early production, 5 digit serial.... I admit, I'm a Cz fan.. It fed with out issues, accuracy was in the middle of all 3. I don't know if it was the smallish grip, light weight or muzzle flip.. in the end...it's not a handcannon like the Cz.52 or refined like the Cz82. It had little recoil, but fairly impressive muzzle flip for such a small round. Two things I noticed... she is a case chucker, the empty cases fly 10 to 12 feet, and it was noticeably louder than the other two. By comparison, the Dreyse almost drops empties on your feet, the Ruby plops them maybe 3 foot away.

Honorable mention, hey.. it gets a point for being there... my FN1922... I tried it as well.. 3 rounds and no fricken bang..all light primer strikes..being not amused, I put it up, cause I hate that click....followed by dead silence. So I will dig into it and test it later.. and yup...I was a little miffed... it don't rank to be among those that actually work.. :) One the plus side.....the FN saved me 2 boxes... rofl2

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Let me guess someone got offended, in your previous post,  by your testing because a gun they love didn't fair well in you experience?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Let me guess someone got offended, in your previous post,  by your testing because a gun they love didn't fair well in you experience?

No, something along the lines of a .32acp wasn't worth their time and it was a basically useless, pointless and too small of a round for anything. The whole post imploded, so I just deleted.  I had avoided the caliber for many years, just like I did with .25acp...but being a caliber whore, I'm well past 30 calibers.. I submitted, broke down and tried both.. now, I have a bunch of .32 acps.  chuckles1   Both the .32 and .25 are just nice pleasing calibers to go out and enjoy, bigger than a .22lr.. and when you want to shoot something different, they fit the bill.. and given the history/field use of both, they survived many conflicts and were used by police...if ever there were such a time they were needed, they certainly be better than a ball bat, rock or stick...

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »
You guys make me envious! Love me some .32acp

By the way Bob, it looks beautiful to me.
One of my very favorite handguns EVER! An old guy once told me that the 1903 Pocket Hammerless was Clyde Barrow's favorite, too.
Not sure if that's true, but it's a cool story.....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 06:11:06 PM »
Thanks Larry! I've heard the same about Bonnie & Clyde... but I thought I heard it was Bonnie that had one (strapped to her leg?). I know a few people were fans of the Colt '03. I love the look!!

GM, I'm not using any of these as a carry gun and I'm sure you're not either. I'm just like you wanting something to shoot in different calibers. And some of these .32's are just purrrr-deeeee!!