Author Topic: WASR-10  (Read 13024 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
WASR-10
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:45:01 PM »
Finally took the plunge into the AK platform.  Grabbed one while on sale at Atlantic Firearms over Christmas but did the installment plan. Payed the last installment a few weeks ago and got it from my FFL-01 last week.  Took it out to the range and it's definitely a good time with the short length and relatively mild recoil. Sharper than the SKS with it's increased length and weight but still mild. 

These WASR-10s had a reputation of being poorly assembled, and by all accounts that was well deserved in the past, with canted sights quite common.  I'm impressed with the build on mine with good riveting and straight sights. It shoots well, though perhaps a bit right. Next time out to the range I'll bring my sight adjustment tool for a couple of tweaks.

I'm not so enamored with the US made blonde furniture, unlike my blonde wife  :)) I may have to strip the wood and mix up some dark brown with a bit of red stain...but I'm not in a big hurry.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: WASR-10
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
  thumb1 congrats, have fun with it. have a wasr 10/63, luv it.  seems like normal progression, first an sks then a wasr. watch out they are addictive just like the sks's, one is not enough.  :o
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
Thanks man!

Gave up on fighting the addiction a while ago  rofl

I would like one with original furniture...maybe a Polish  :P  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »
Nice...  Stock is fairly blonde eh?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:27:02 PM »

Yeah, looks a little too new and non-traditional  :))  But it functions well  tommy1 and I wouldn't feel bad about refinishing it down the road

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »
Perhaps a nice "G" stock set with dong...  :P
Welcome to the AK club!

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »
Good looking WASR gun  :o     congrats..   Aloha snakbar  !!!!!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »
Thanks guys!  :)

Welcome to the AK club!

You know, that's an idea... Decent price on the set at Apex too think1  I was also contemplating picking up a bakelite pistol grip and refinishing the American made stock set.  Gotta figure out this 922r stuff for the first time ever  ???

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:02 AM »
Thanks guys!  :)

Welcome to the AK club!

You know, that's an idea... Decent price on the set at Apex too think1  I was also contemplating picking up a bakelite pistol grip and refinishing the American made stock set.  Gotta figure out this 922r stuff for the first time ever  ???

Gotta say... palm swell hand guards are the bomb!
I just recently installed my first dong and haven't shot it yet..
You have 16 countable parts, BTW.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:29:06 AM »

Yeah, looks a little too new and non-traditional  :))  But it functions well  tommy1 and I wouldn't feel bad about refinishing it down the road
some stain and clear coat on the furniture looks good. not hard to do, plenty of vids on u/tube showing how to do and the results.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »
Yeah... I sense a new addiction coming thumb1  I always said one Ak was enough, somehow I got like 6 variants and a pair of Maks.  Aks are like Oreos, you can't eat just one and walk, it don't work that way. nea1

Even GM had to go more traditional, I left one MAK90 in the original bunghole stock, the other.....over summer became fair game. Thats a Romy stock and a buncha red shellac.  The Romy stock took quite abit of fitting.

still not as cool or light as a Vz58 rofl  :P

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
Yeah... I sense a new addiction coming thumb1  I always said one Ak was enough, somehow I got like 6 variants and a pair of Maks.  Aks are like Oreos, you can't eat just one and walk, it don't work that way. nea1

I have found myself looking at other AKs already  didnt do  Too many addictions: SKSs, Mausers, Mosins, Enfields, US military... ...AKs?  :o  rofl

Even GM had to go more traditional, I left one MAK90 in the original bunghole stock, the other.....over summer became fair game. Thats a Romy stock and a buncha red shellac.  The Romy stock took quite abit of fitting.

Nice job GM. She's a beauty  thumb1

still not as cool or light as a Vz58 rofl  :P

Yes Jimmy  :))  I really like my VZ58 too...very light and compact

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 03:16:20 PM »
Are they still single hook triggers? 

I just love watching up and coming addicts, specially when an experienced junkie finds a new fix, brings a real tear to my eye rofl rofl2

And since you mentioned Jimmy, he said he wants one of them thar Vz wrappy rifle blanket thingies.  :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 03:44:06 PM »
It has a double hook trigger.  It's actually got a good feel.  I've only run two mags through my new baby, but it functions flawlessly so far.

Bummer Jimmy, I only bought one of the VZ blanket thingies :)) Someone on the "other boards" had a few extras a couple summers back shortly after I got my VZ so I jumped on it. The bipod I picked up in a group buy on the CZ forum  tommy1

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:00:03 PM »

Weird... I also had 6 variants and two MAKs... until yesterday when that became 7 variants and two MAKs...  dance3 shooting1
I know what you mean on the furniture too; both sides, the bottom, and that funky shoulder in the front.
Still don't have a WASR though... I have to make do with a SAR... (now with DONG!!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:04:08 PM by Stoned_Oli »

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »
It has a double hook trigger.  It's actually got a good feel.  I've only run two mags through my new baby, but it functions flawlessly so far.
Is the trigger notched on the second hook, or is the receiver cut for it?

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »

Weird... I also had 6 variants and two MAKs... until yesterday when that became 7 variants and two MAKs...  dance3 shooting1
I know what you mean on the furniture too; both sides, the bottom, and that funky shoulder in the front.
Still don't have a WASR though... I have to make do with a SAR... (now with DONG!!)

I don't have a WASR yet either.. :-[ I looked at the the first ones way back when that had the funky trigger slap, never really returned to them. I would like either a Yugo M76 or an Arsenal..maybe when I get rich... rofl

Sorry, I ain't a dong type guy, I don't mind the swelling sitting in my palm, but grabbing the dong  nea1   rofl

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:42:24 AM »

I just love watching up and coming addicts, specially when an experienced junkie finds a new fix, brings a real tear to my eye rofl rofl2

chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1 rofl clap1  I had a sneaking suspicion that "The Enabler" got a new fix from gentle nudging/hooking others to other milsurps  chuckles1. Well....not like you tried to hide it  :)) and my growing mosin and Tokarev collections thank you and keep coming back for more. ( Phos...don't think you get outta part of the blame either now. My Tokarev addiction can be directly traced back to a "seemingly" innocent convo between you and GM on a Yugo mauser thread.  fineprint )

Congrats on the new WASR  thumb1 and as I'm sure you've already figured out....AKMs are very addictive as well  rofl  Wasr's get a bad rap. Sure there was QC issues back in the day and some will still pop up...over all, The WASR 10 and 10/63 are some downright fine AKM's. Untill I got my Wasr 10, all my AKs were during AWB or just bayo lug neutered. A fellow gave me an East German AK bayo and....Well, most people get a bayo for their rifle, I got a rifle for my bayo  rofl

I love the classic AK look and feel of mine. Its wood is still bare ( laminate butsttock and solid hand guards). When ever I get around to it, I'll be posting up for suggestions on finnishing it.

Soon you'll find that you've unintentionally started collecting surplus AK mags as well  thumb1

How do yall like the double hook triggers? All of mine are single hook. Gotta couple of G2 single hook triggers also, I love 'em.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
Hippie is a crack whore... Uuuummmm smell that, smells like storage grease...  I got ya a Mosin.... silly1

The early WASRs are the ones that left a bad taste in my mouth, the trigger slap, that was something.....special. I made it through half a mag on one and went back to my MAK crying and hugging it like a little sissy girl.  Granted, now I might try a newer one, way back then, it woulda made a nice parts rifle to me.. :)

The double hook triggers in the Mak90s are super sweet, I also replaced the trigger in my PSL with a Red Star adjustable... OMG  :o, movement maker right there, major difference between stock and the Red Star thumb1  I left the Saigas stock, they are shotguns and worked pretty decent for what it is..