Author Topic: SIX CORP SKS with Detachable Bayonet ( pics added)  (Read 9759 times)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
SIX CORP SKS with Detachable Bayonet ( pics added)
« on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »
Once I got my hands on this oddball it didn't take long to notice it wasn't your typical run of the mill late '80s import. This 1 has been an interesting 1 to figure out. Honestly there's not a lot of info to be found on these out there. Six Corp is/was an export/firearms company the same as NORINCO and Polytech. Any info on these would be much appreciated. Our commercial Guru XXXSKS, puts this 1 in the rare category. With as little info as I’ve found…I agree. Now also, In this case, Rare does not translate into valuable. I’m fine with that because this thing might as well have been giving me those sad lil puppy eyes in the gun shop. “As imported detachable Bayo?” Yeah…its coming home with me  rofl.

Right off the top its sporting a SKS D detachable spike bayonet  thumb1 It has a deep red, slick almost hard shell finish to the stock ( as imported and can be found on Poly tech legend AK's with the same 88 prefix).

Its a mix of early and late features. It's a scrubbed receiver for sure. When side by side comparing... It is very similar to a ghost or Letter gun early receiver. Lite’n cuts in receiver and on bayo lug. Early RSB. Even though it’s a well fit spike…it has a Blade V cut stock ferule. But then late features such as a 2 piece gas tube, stamped trigger group and a later bolt carrier. I think it started out as a military rifle but ended up being a scrubbed “for export parts gun”.

We'll start with the 88 prefix S/N and exporter.

Detachable Bayo and rivet

Notice the Chinese AK cleaning Kit. I have no reason to believe this didn't come as imported but no proof either.

Importer  IA CO SAC CA

Notice the Phillips head screws. This is a 1st for me.

You'll notice no receiver cover pics...here's why

Its an interesting piece for sure but still a dang receiver cover scope mount ( A bane on my existence since I started collecting) but it has a proper chinese cover on now.

Apparently I'm a touch OCD so...Sorry for all the pics Took a lil over 100 so if there's anything else you'd like to see, I've probably already got a pic of it.  :-[

Thanks for looking and I'm trying to gather some data on these if any1 has 1 or see's any posts or adds for them. Thanks  thumb1

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:02:01 PM by armedhippie »
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: SIX CORPS SKS with Detachable Bayonet
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »
Better then how I had visioned it.     :)

I like it.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
That's a slick one Hippie!  thumb1

Wanna know what jumped out at me first?

Riveted bayo pin on an old style, threaded set of lugs.  You can even see the old peen marks in your second photo.

I'd never really thought about it, but I wonder if all the removable bayo specific guns have this type of rivet or if some have regular threaded screws, peened in place?

The barreled receiver is a pretty old one judging from the barrel lot stamp number (10356).  That number hasn't shown up in the survey, but 9591 did from ghost S/N 150496 and 11609 did from /26\ S/N 3,025,478.  There are other similar numbered stamps from guns as late as an 11th year /106\, so it's hard to say that those stamps really go in any sort of progressive order...

The '31' match mark has been ground off the receiver as well as the alignment tick mark on the receiver round.  I wonder if this gun was rebarreled prior to export?  It could easily have been.  Nothing surprises me with these guns anymore!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »

The '31' match mark has been ground off the receiver as well as the alignment tick mark on the receiver round.  I wonder if this gun was rebarreled prior to export?  It could easily have been.  Nothing surprises me with these guns anymore!

Yeah I've been looking for faint marks that missed the scrubbing, but they were thorough. I'm leaning toward original barrel and whoever was scrubing was told "receiver only"

Better then how I had visioned it.     :)

I like it.   thumb1

Thanks man, This 1 has keep enough of its older military heritage/traits I thought you might. I thought long on whether to put it in military or commercial, but it deffinitely received a work over before export.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 03:39:43 AM »
Interesting Hippie, and a very nice specimen  thumb1. At a glance one could mistake the finish on that stock as a Jungle Stock, but it's a beauty! Congratulations  clap1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »
Interesting variant.  Before your post, I'd never heard of an SKS with a removable bayonet  ???  8)

I appreciate the pictures showing how this bayonet works  thumb1

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:47:03 PM »
Interesting variant.  Before your post, I'd never heard of an SKS with a removable bayonet  ???  8)

[/quote ]

There was mention of it on the guide along with pics, but for the life of me I couldn't find it last night...

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
I don't understand what I'm seeing in the last pic. Explain it for me please.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
A detachable bayo

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
I think he means the scope mount receiver cover.  Looks like a /416\ fabricated/assembled scope mount that's been welded onto a standard receiver cover.  I'd be surprised if that was the way the gun came from the exporter, but with that removable bayo, anything is possible.

Hey AH, was there any S/N on that scope mount receiver cover?

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »
Now I get it. Felt like a Rorschach test for a minute there. I see Batman!
What an interesting SKS. Nice find.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 05:49:34 PM »
Yeah sorry bout that Blicero that was a pic I took mostly for the arsenal stamp. These are a bit better.

I think he means the scope mount receiver cover.  Looks like a /416\ fabricated/assembled scope mount that's been welded onto a standard receiver cover.  I'd be surprised if that was the way the gun came from the exporter, but with that removable bayo, anything is possible.

Hey AH, was there any S/N on that scope mount receiver cover?

It seems to be a new manufacture or a scrubbed 1 at least. I wouldn't be surprised if it came this way but I'm leaning against it. They marked about everything with a s/n.
This thing answers why I'll find some serious messed up receiver covers though...wouldn't take much to dremel it off I guess...

Interesting Hippie, and a very nice specimen  thumb1. At a glance one could mistake the finish on that stock as a Jungle Stock, but it's a beauty! Congratulations  clap1

I thought the same thing Danny. The stock appears to have been "dipped" inside and out. I'm on the hunt for a jungle stock now to compare colors and....I lucked out and came across a gastube still in cosmo fitted with a red fiberglass/plastic? hand guard, I'm assuming was meant to go with the jungle stocks. Got and ole letter gun in a really beat up stock to play dress up with  rofl. So if any 1 feels like trading for a spiker stock.... 8)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »

A SKS-D  came NIB with a detachable Bayo not sure if any others did. The SKS-D has a 88 prefix as well so xxxSKS is leaning towards these bayo's are leftovers from the SKS-D run.

You pull down like I'm doing in the pic, and then push up to take it off. Its just a modified spike when it comes down to it but....when I 1st saw it, it was/is the Bees Knees   rofl

The above pic is the rivet but RM it will fit on a bayo screw as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:22:18 PM by armedhippie »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: SIX CORP SKS with Detachable Bayonet ( pics added)
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
  That's an interesting new addition to the list of "variants", I guess as it would be classified. I've never heard of SIX CORPS, nor of any SKS' with detachable bayos other than the D's.

I'm not familiar with the Importer, either. IA CO SAC CA The Sacramento, CA part, I get, but have you learned anything about the Importer's name or any connection with Beta Arms or China Sports?

Very cool specimen armedhippie! Thanks for sharing!

firstchoice

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »
Still need to get this added to the guide...

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
Very nice looking rifle!
I have seen the Phillips head screws in the buttplate before, on a late model... thought it was Bubba.
The stock was screwed so I sold the buttplate and screws...