Author Topic: An Izhevsk.. wearing green  (Read 276 times)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
An Izhevsk.. wearing green
« on: March 20, 2024, 09:01:30 AM »
T
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:35:44 AM by Worm »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: An Izhevsk.. wearing green
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 10:10:56 AM »
While it's a cryin' shame bubba got his hands on it in the first place, it's still a nice rifle and the Butler Creek/K-Sports stock is probably the premier aftermarket conventional style stock out there. A little heavier than most, other than the CE/ATI MC stock maybe, it is better balanced with great aesthetics and a good all around LOP. Good catch there Worm. thumb1
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 10:26:23 AM »
While it's a cryin' shame bubba got his hands on it in the first place, it's still a nice rifle and the Butler Creek/K-Sports stock is probably the premier aftermarket conventional style stock out there. A little heavier than most, other than the CE/ATI MC stock maybe, it is better balanced with great aesthetics and a good all around LOP. Good catch there Worm. thumb1

Agreed. Thanks!

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 10:27:01 AM »
The Izzy is still up on my bucket list , nice catch enjoy 👍🏼

Papahound

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 10:52:32 AM »
The Izzy is still up on my bucket list , nice catch enjoy 👍🏼

Papahound

Will do! Thanks!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 11:09:39 AM »
Nice catch Mitch!   That stock certainly looks sharp on that carbine!!

Many will tell you that you are correct in that an Izhevsk fit and finish is better than Tula, but honestly I think that is all perception bias as I've not really seen all that much of a difference.

The magazine being lined out means this carbine was a refurb in Russia anyhow, so Bubba didn't exactly paint over the Mona Lisa when he decided to swap out the stock and the handguard. 

I have an identical K-Sports green stock I got from GG a good while ago that I still haven't put to use yet.  Maybe with this inspiration I'll get off my rear and get a project truck gun going?!  thumb1

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 11:18:39 AM »
Nice catch Mitch!   That stock certainly looks sharp on that carbine!!

Many will tell you that you are correct in that an Izhevsk fit and finish is better than Tula, but honestly I think that is all perception bias as I've not really seen all that much of a difference.

The magazine being lined out means this carbine was a refurb in Russia anyhow, so Bubba didn't exactly paint over the Mona Lisa when he decided to swap out the stock and the handguard. 

I have an identical K-Sports green stock I got from GG a good while ago that I still haven't put to use yet.  Maybe with this inspiration I'll get off my rear and get a project truck gun going?!  thumb1

Yeah she's definitely a refurb. That's okay though I'm sure she'll function fine & that's what I'm really after here. These stocks are great aren't they? I almost want to spray mine M81 woodland since the green is already there. Might be a fun project, & I agree with your truck gun idea you should get on that! That's essentially what this is going to be, a national forest/ATV/hunting/camping companion.

Question for ya, I'm not all up to snuff on Ruskies.. were there many refurbs with no black paint? I'm assuming there were different refurb arsenals and maybe some didn't apply that?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 11:58:10 AM »
Question for ya, I'm not all up to snuff on Ruskies.. were there many refurbs with no black paint? I'm assuming there were different refurb arsenals and maybe some didn't apply that?

There were definitely different levels of refurb and yes the refurb shops all did things a slight bit differently depending on the condition of the carbine needing work and their standard procedures.  With really light refurbs, sometimes the original stock was simply sanded and refinished (but not reserialized) and the hard parts all left as original.  People see those carbines and start tossing out "unfired", "unrefurbished", and "unissued"....except there's obvious shellac/lacquer fill in the stock S/N or a small refurb stamp somewhere.

The other light refurbs where the stock is XXX'd, a part is scrubbed and restamped, parts reblued, etc. is a much easier 'refurb' for most collectors to identify and ding in price, though if they are mostly left intact they can still get unwitting collectors to pay high $$ (think of the Ex-DDR craze back in 2010 timeframe).  Of course, the heavy refurbs with BBQ black paint are the easiest to ID as you can see them from a mile away and most collectors know what they are. 

At the very bottom end would be a bubba'd carbine that loses the most value (or at least it should, sometimes a bubba'd carbine will actually increase the value if the carbine was in notably bad shape prior to the work being done).  I guess the bubba'd guns that simply have a stock change would be in a different category than say, a gun chopped to 16" with a muzzle brake welded in place too. 

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 12:09:48 PM »
10-4. Great info as always RM, appreciate it.  thumb1

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 02:38:31 PM »
Looks great but myself if I had spare laminate, I'd have it in that, mainly because it's Russian, and put a Paratrooper in the K-Sport. That's what I did with a KSI Para, cloned a Parka Para (minus the park) and with a Ramline HG. Cloned a Stealth Para too from another KSI Para, correct Ramline stock but not K-Sport branded. PAX

(thanks Greatguns)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 02:46:37 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »
Looks great but myself if I had spare laminate, I'd have it in that, mainly because it's Russian, and put a Paratrooper in the K-Sport. That's what I did with a KSI Para, cloned a Parka Para (minus the park) and with a Ramline HG. Cloned a Stealth Para too from another KSI Para, correct Ramline stock but not K-Sport branded. PAX

(thanks Greatguns)

I dig it thumb1

I do plan on redoing the laminate (came on a Chinese that did time in Albania, so she's basically black with gunk but still in great shape) and will dress it up here n' there I'm sure. No para's laying around though haha

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 06:58:08 PM »
I dig it thumb1

I do plan on redoing the laminate (came on a Chinese that did time in Albania, so she's basically black with gunk but still in great shape) and will dress it up here n' there I'm sure. No para's laying around though haha

The black rifle is currently my favorite rifle (until my Ruger .22 lever shows up  ::) ). The Ramline stock and that setup is the lightest SKS I've got. I really like the profile how it blends to the mag. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 08:35:24 PM »
I dig it thumb1

The black rifle is currently my favorite rifle (until my Ruger .22 lever shows up  ::) ). The Ramline stock and that setup is the lightest SKS I've got. I really like the profile how it blends to the mag. PAX

Yeah that actually does look pretty good.a Ruger lever .22? Sounds fun

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 09:36:58 PM »
I've got a green Russian too, PAX

You need a crew  

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 11:09:39 PM »
I've got a green Russian too, PAX

Oh sweet! I love that!

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 04:03:40 AM »
.....the Butler Creek/K-Sports stock is probably the premier aftermarket conventional style stock out there.....

I've got another home-grown 18.5" rifle in a black Butler Creek with no vent Choate HG, neutered FSB, Mojo rear sight and 5 round mag. Light & quick to acquire, like ghost rings. PAX

You need a crew