Author Topic: Attention All Members  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Attention All Members
« on: November 26, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
I need to know if you have a PINNED barreled chinese sks and if it has corresponding numbers stamped on the front left of the receiver AND on the left side of the barrel just front of the receiver. 

Please report your findings and post pics if possible.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline rjinga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Re: Attention All Members
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
I'm a newbie; where do I look, and what am I looking for, to tell whether I have a pinned barrel?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »

Do you have a pinned barrel chinese?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
I looked at one of mine and it does, small number 7 on both
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
Well that's interesting!

Anyone else?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
The one in the pic above seemingly does not have them.   :-\

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »
I don't know if you could see it in the pic, mine are very lightly stamped and barely visible.
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »
Only pinned Chinese I have is a stamped receiver........ no numbers on barrel or receiver ......

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
Here's a pinned barrel receiver on gonebroker. 4th photo has no indication of number stamps.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719919023

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »
Top: SKSNR... very late production SKS
Bottom: 416 Public Security

Now on pressing fitted parts... no index/witness mark would be needed, generally when pressing, you do not/can not/will not turn one component. pressing parts can require TONS of force, thats... TONS per square inch. I have personally used a 250ton(a press that can develop...a half a million PSI) press several times to press track pins from an excavator, and routinely use a 100 ton press to replace spring pin bushings.. One man can not over come tons of pressure with a simple handtool and leave no mark, much less many tons, you will not move it, the only movement with pressure will be linear with the motion of the press. It's a straight in-line force. One would have to line everything up first and then press. Instead of an index mark, the rear sight could have been installed on the barrel first and then the barrel set in a press jig to hold both in the correct orientation, or just to get the process going and then pressed together.

If by chance you started the process of pressing, made it in say 1/8 inch, stopped, decide oh, I needed to turn it a hair, and you did manage to move twist one of the components, you could gall up the mating surfaces or simply put tear the metal from both surfaces and make both parts unusable. Which ever is the softer material will most likely be damaged, if both parts are of equal hardness, both parts could suffer damage during a twisting operation. If one is lucky enough, you may get lucky and your safest bet if something is off is to stop, reverse the pressing process, press it back apart and start over.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »
Nice..  thanks GM.   thumb1

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
My Skavor project is a pinned barrel, and it has no markings there.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
My Skavor project is a pinned barrel, and it has no markings there.

Awesome...  Thanks ps. 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »
Now...one thing became apparent, I noticed this while I took the above pictures and I just couldn't let it go ::) There seems to be differences in pinned receivers.  Maybe a subject better for another thread, but since we are discussing the manufacturing processes after all.. I figured why not  :)  Seems there is differences...maybe factory differences, age differences, maybe different manufacturing or small changes in the processes and methods for pressing the barrels.

This is a 416 KFS 18million Public Security... Why the threaded hole drilled to the barrel?  Had this thing for years...figured the hole was normal.. ::)

This is the SKSNR...Navy Arms... late...maybe last imported production, as in a 94 409xx serial... after seeing this, I wondered.....where is that hole?

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »
Bubba made a duckbill-less adapter?

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
Arsenal [0134] with 25 prefix, no numbers.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
I checked a pinned /0130\ that was demilled and it had no numbers. I have also searched high/low all over interweb pics for a pinned action with numbers and haven't found any.

I also received pictures of CARBINEs rifle as posted above and Im certain the barrel mark is not a number at all, and the 7 on the receiver is located very high on the receiver and is a very small font. Its likely a completely unrelated stamp compared to what we are looking for.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:02:14 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
I checked my 0226 no numbers  pin holes, but no screw hole.

I checked my /906\ no numbers, pin holes, no screw hole...

Then, I checked my DB....and found pinned barrel type 3 (?)
The pin holes were filled in, and smoothed...odd to go through the trouble of that when the rest of the gun is of questionable quality...there being no locking lug even.... also no numbers.

I don't have the gumption to disassemble my bubba'd up Sporter today I suspect it will be the same as GM's NR

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
The pin holes were filled in

Dont think so...  looks to have had a pin long enough to protrude both sides and was ground even to the receiver prior to finish.  That pin would drift right out.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
The pin holes were filled in

Dont think so...  looks to have had a pin long enough to protrude both sides and was ground even to the receiver prior to finish.  That pin would drift right out.

That does make more sense....it looks nicer(ish) too. :)
I seriously doubt it would 'drift right out' though.  The impact right there likely would have deformed it internally enough to make that a bear of a job to pull off...especially without a starter hole.  Considering the lack of the locking lug, you would almost think they would skip the pin altogether and just hope the pressure would keep it in place long enough and that the receiver would crack before the barrel would fall out.  chuckles1