Author Topic: Luger G: How sweet it is  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Luger G: How sweet it is
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
I just traded this High Power even up for this Luger, and I think I made out like a champ. What do you guys think? I was up front about the HP being a problem child but he is just a Licker/Collector so he really didn't care.

Mauser Luger production tactics mirrored those used on k98ks. When Mauser was contracted to start providing arms for the military in 1934, part of the deal was to stamp a manufacturer's code (s/42) in place of the Mauser logo, and a letter code to signify the year of production. On Mauser rifles or Lugers, K date signifies 1934 production, G dates are 1935. The subterfuge of masking the manufacturer was never abandoned but by 1936 they lifted the veil and started stamping the actual year of production.

We have a superbly nice Luger. Here's what I see:
-Original blue in 90%+ condition. This was obviously never a grunt on the front line's pistol. It likely sat in an officer's desk throughout the war.
-The bore shows strong rifling with minor corrosion throughout.
-All numbers matching save grips and mag.
-Deep, lustrous strawing on mag release, ejector and trigger.
-Grips in fantastic shape showing minimal wear to the checkering.
-Even the bottom lug of the cannon is waffen proofed. This was abandoned by...sometime.
-No import marks.
-2nd variation inspection proofs- w/154 s92 and Weimar style droopy Eagle
-The initials "RD" are scratched into the front strap.
-No Mauser hump. I don't think these appeared until '37.

I don't pretend to be Luger Legend but based on my limited knowledge, everything about this pistol looks legit. I'm giddy! Pics:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:36:18 PM by Blicero »
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Luger G: How sweet it is
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:14:22 PM »
Highpower for a luger!      rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Nice one...   right up there with a desk luger.   bat1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
I know nothing about Luger collecting but man that's a beauty!  8) thumb1

Seems like you came out well on the upside of this trade.  Was he looking to fill a particular hole in his collection?  What's the backstory on this horse-trading?  :))

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
Blicero it seems to me you got a good deal in the trade, maybe check out the recoil spring. It could be part of the problem if it has lost tension due to age or was replaced with an improper spring at some point in time.

It's a fascinating piece no doubt about that. Especially that rear sight, seeing it is a first for me also!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »
A HighPower for that?  Does this fella have a certain Walther PPK in 7.65 used by a certain other fella tucked up under the seat in that Volkswagen it came from?

A HighPower, brings new meaning to rape and pillage. rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
I don't think I stuck it to him that badly. If I auctioned off either this gun or the HP, I think the Luger would net about $300 more than the FN. Those HPs with the tangent rear sights are extremely desirable too. But the plexiglass grips on them, even though they're a neat field modification, are a huge ding on the gun's value. I just never fell in love with the gun. Yeah they're obviously well made, and accurate, but when it comes time to pick it or a Luger, my choice was easy.

The guy sold one of the tangent sight HPs about a decade ago, he said he's always regretted it and has been yearning for another one ever since. He was so pumped up about it I got the feeling I could've milked some cash out of him.

I put my phone number in the ad. A big baller Hi Power Legend out of some breadbasket state called me inquiring about the HP asking for a sales price. I swear I thought it was Greasemonkey screwing with me. This guy did everything to push my buttons- talking the gun down, talking it down, belittling it, this is wrong that is wrong. He was just looking for a freebie, hoping I was some ignorant rube who'd give it away. Then I said hey man, let's work out a trade, do you have any German rifles. He scoffed into my ear & replied "Yeah but not that I'd trade for THAT." OK dickwad, you're the one who called me in the first place wanting the HP. Have good'un.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 01:44:36 AM »
Me, mess with you, perish the thought, I would never in a million lifetimes do such a thing to such a valued member or cherished friend such as you. I can not believe you would ever, insinuate such a thing as that. I thought we were buds, but now I'm like the little cast out, kicking a tin can down the dusty dirt road, alone, again, with my one and only hurt feeling. I only have one you know.

OK,
Now, the auction for.......... ocean front property in Nebraska starts Monday!  rofl2

It is a nice Luger, but, that 300 dollar difference in value, your right, no biggie. Its not rape and pillage, just real rough sex and take a $20 bil from her wallet.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem