Author Topic: Nambu type 14 with Samurai sword  (Read 2386 times)

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
Nambu type 14 with Samurai sword
« on: January 31, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
A co-worker of mine has a Japanese Nambu type 14 pistol and a Samurai Sword that his father in law brought back from WWII, he was asking me what the value would be on something like that for insurance, just curious if any of you would know?
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Nambu type 14 with Samurai sword
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
The sword can easily out price the Nambu.....His best bet... don't best guess it.. have it professionally appraised, some can be several hundreds of years old, passed down from generation to generation. You can easily get in to many thousands of dollars for a true blue age old katana. There have been instances of said bring back swords being returned to families in Japan due to respect for the family history, they were hand/custom made, as each family usually had their own design and handle. This would require a Japanese historian or person very failure with Japanese history and families to decipher the sword. Also, there is also tons of low quality/fakes that exist, this would/could be discovered and weeded out by a professional.

I have a seppuku sword brought back by my grandfather. I have thought about having it appraised, but it stays locked away.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »
The sword can easily out price the Nambu.....His best bet... don't best guess it.. have it professionally appraised, some can be several hundreds of years old, passed down from generation to generation. You can easily get in to many thousands of dollars for a true blue age old katana. There have been instances of said bring back swords being returned to families in Japan due to respect for the family history, they were hand/custom made, as each family usually had their own design and handle. This would require a Japanese historian or person very failure with Japanese history and families to decipher the sword. Also, there is also tons of low quality/fakes that exist, this would/could be discovered and weeded out by a professional.

I have a seppuku sword brought back by my grandfather. I have thought about having it appraised, but it stays locked away.

Yeah I kinda figured the sword would be the main show, it definitely sounds cool!! I hope to go see it in person soon! Thanks for the response GM!!
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
 From what my friend told me, the Nambu 14s are running 3-$450 give or take. Some rarer variations are a bit more. Here are a few I'm holding on to for him. One of them was reclaimed by a GI that was supposed to throw Lye on the Nip bodies in a burial pit. Story goes, one was face down but he saw the holster shoulder strap across his back so he climbed down in there and flipped the guy over and found he still had the holstered Nambu. Not sure which one of these is that one.